CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Joe Rogan had Bari Weiss on

Touched on a bunch of subjects, but a lot of talk about anti-Semitism in America.

Might be one of his most disliked videos. Lot of anti-Semites in the comments.

Lot of anti-Semites on the internet these days, for that matter.

She gets a bit too comfortable and into some really hard-left stuff in the latter half.

[video=youtube_share;nL-YwrjKqZU]https://youtu.be/nL-YwrjKqZU[/video]

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you can’t go to confession, take your sorrow directly to God, pope says

Catholics:

"Alright then."

images

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I’m struggling with this and would like input from folks with maybe a stronger faith and orthodoxy than I have.

Are you asking if it's Biblically wise to apply and take money?

Really, that horse has left the barn - churches in America are organizations with paid staff. Right, wrong, or indifferent we've become pseudo-businesses, so you might as well take advantage of the perquisites that come with that.

If you're asking if this is a backdoor for the Feds to control what's coming from the pulpit - nope. There's way too much going on right now for that to be a consideration on either end. Won't happen.

But, what I've heard in our office, the paperwork is a b****. We're fully operation now (most staff working from home), but we can certainly use the money, especially if the construction industry slumps.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    How so? Ethical issues? (Should we take taxpayer money?) Accounting/practical (how do I calculate )?

Churches are comprised of independent groups of people who share specific beliefs and who are taught to care for one another and for others. It is the principal responsibility of these congregations to support the functions and the missions associated with their belief system. Budgets are generally established based upon the sacred commitments and contributions of congregation members. These personal pledges are the foundation of every successful faith-based institution and effectively allow all of the members to participate in any manner they can. To leverage the PPP to secure other peoples’ money automatically perverts the fundamental relationship between a congregant and his/her church. Additionally, since the program is a “first come, first served” process (until the funds are depleted), any church which succeeds in beating another struggling small business to the available funds has, in effect, deprived people of their livelihood. Small business and its employees pay and will pay the taxes to support this program now and into the future. Churches don’t pay taxes. This seed should not be planted and does not seem to be very Christian to me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Churches are comprised of independent groups of people who share specific beliefs and who are taught to care for one another and for others. It is the principal responsibility of these congregations to support the functions and the missions associated with their belief system. Budgets are generally established based upon the sacred commitments and contributions of congregation members. These personal pledges are the foundation of every successful faith-based institution and effectively allow all of the members to participate in any manner they can. To leverage the PPP to secure other peoples’ money automatically perverts the fundamental relationship between a congregant and his/her church. Additionally, since the program is a “first come, first served” process (until the funds are depleted), any church which succeeds in beating another struggling small business to the available funds has, in effect, deprived people of their livelihood. Small business and its employees pay and will pay the taxes to support this program now and into the future. Churches don’t pay taxes. This seed should not be planted and does not seem to be very Christian to me.

So another small business' employees are more important than ours? Churches are just supposed to bow down and take it on the chin because?...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Again, the horse has left the barn. Do you know how many churches have mortgages?

Churches are seeing, and will continue to see, a loss of income. What would have them do? Layoff staff? Cut charity work? Tell a missionary in the field goodbye?

As to the "pay taxes to support it", well our current taxes didn't support the government before this - new debt made up the difference.
    And my company doesn't make a profit, so we don't pay taxes, but we've applied for money.

Churches serve a vital roll in the community and are best equipped to comfort those who are hurting right now. I certainly feel that fund them with PPP monies is a good use of those CARES funds.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If we want to talk about unethical church practices, let's talk about pastors that conflate Biblical precepts with libertarian beliefs. I.e. those that think sensible safety measures in an infringement on "mye-rites".

https://www.wane.com/news/tampa-pas...ut-not-to-protect-congregation-from-covid-19/

And this one is apparently doing it as a publicity stunt:
    https://www.wane.com/news/pa-pastor-blasts-coronavirus-orders-plans-outdoor-service-like-woodstock/
    I never heard of Jonathan Shuttlesworth. After looking into him, he's a real piece of work that doesn't appear to exhibit any of the fruits of the spirit. For one thing, his Twitter profile picture is him on a private jet. :n00b: The guy is nothing more than a huckster with a pulpit, a Osteen neophyte.

Pastors should care for their flock, and that means not endangering them for your personal glory or vain beliefs.

There are so many un-Christian things I want to say about these people.... but first, Jesus didn't go around talking about what "rights" you have and how you need to fight for them (that was the Beastie Boys), and second, Jesus never said anything about Christians being financially and socially prosperous. In fact, it's pretty obvious that he spoke that Christians should expect neither of those things.

Top Bottom