• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    These things are scary looking as hell, I was afraid of them until I found out what they were, and that they rarely sting people. They arent aggressive. I've seen a lot of them recently, and actually caught one in the act of where the name comes from.

Attachments

• IMG_0866.jpg
      IMG_0866.jpg
      218.5 KB · Views: 56

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    We had issues with them some time ago. While they don't attack people by instinct, they will fly into you and good luck telling little kids, "No worries, the giant wasps won't hurt you!" :):

If they are on your property, set out a sprinkler and when you notice them in an area, run that baby for 10-15 minutes. They don't like soggy or bushy/thick grass.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2024
    Terre Haute
    These things are scary looking as hell, I was afraid of them until I found out what they were, and that they rarely sting people. They arent aggressive. I've seen a lot of them recently, and actually caught one in the act of where the name comes from.
    I love them, the males are more aggressive but they dont have stingers and will just fly up to you while the females do have stingers but they are more focused on hunting cicadas. After a few days of yard work the ones in my yard got used to me and didnt really care if i got close to them.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I love them, the males are more aggressive but they dont have stingers and will just fly up to you while the females do have stingers but they are more focused on hunting cicadas. After a few days of yard work the ones in my yard got used to me and didnt really care if i got close to them.
    Spot on.

You can actually whack them with a tennis or badminton racket. They are not like F18s or the like.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2024
    Terre Haute
    Spot on.

You can actually whack them with a tennis or badminton racket. They are not like F18s or the like.
    My family thanks im crazy because i dont mind most wasps but they really arent that aggressive, yellow jackets on the other hand are jerks.
    There is this beekeeper in japan that has a few pet wasps and i think its interesting how wasps recognize if you are friendly with them or not

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My family thanks im crazy because i dont mind most wasps but they really arent that aggressive, yellow jackets on the other hand are jerks.
    There is this beekeeper in japan that has a few pet wasps and i think its interesting how wasps recognize if you are friendly with them or not
    I did not know that, very interesting!

"Hey Fred, there's Bob, the guy who always leaves the Coke can out for us..." LOL

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Bald faced hornets. Them sunofabeeches hurt. Hate em. Got nailed in the neck while mowing. They were in a tree 20 feet above me and I didn’t do anything to them. Did I say I hate em?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2024
    Terre Haute
    Bald faced hornets. Them sunofabeeches hurt. Hate em. Got nailed in the neck while mowing. They were in a tree 20 feet above me and I didn’t do anything to them. Did I say I hate em?
    Yeah they are assholes, from what Ive noticed the giant hive like wasps are the ones that are the most aggressive for no reason

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CKs are cool. Scary if you don’t know what they are.

I have had several that got pretty curious but never got closer then 3 feet from you. But it was obvious they were flying around checking you out.

We currently have one living under our front steps.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They are cool to watch carrying a cicada body back to their ground burrows.

Hard to not be intimidated by their hovering, while looking you in the eye...

:nailbite:

Top Bottom