• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Don't hit the Methodist Church..... We be packing.

When I read your comment it reminded me of something I had read a while back regarding the UMC and guns, so I went to the main website for the UMC. I discovered there that the UMC has declared every church to be a gun free zone, and they openly support gun control as an organization. I realize that many Methodists are pro-gun, as you stated, but the church leadership is clearly opposed to it.

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    Love how the Indy Star link doesn't denote race or anything except clothing and height. I'm sure they won't get anything with jeans, hoodie, and an average male height range. I guess they don't want to stereotype...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I go to a very small country church, so we don't have security as such, but I suspect that a few of our men are occasionally carrying under their suit jackets.
    I've been known to carry IWB on occasion in our church, but this crap is making me rethink that only occasionally thing in favor of full-time.
    These hoodlums doing this to the Lawrence church makes me think of that joke Eddie Murphy made thirty years ago about the guy who shot the pope: "You know, I want to go to hell and I don't want to stand in line."

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Well here is something to think about. Did this really happen. If it did as they said then if there were any illegals in the church then they actually just won the Immigation lottery! If you are illegal and a victim of a violent crime like armed robbery then you may qualify for a U visa that will lead to citizenship. Where is the video. Most places have video equipment these days. Seems really convenient. The description is very vague and general. I'm not saying it didn't happen but maybe this needs to be looked at closer.

If they were victims I feel very badly for them. The criminals also know Hispanics always carry cash and usually have jewelry.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Personally knowing one Pastor who was shot killed and two others near our church that were shot and killed, one was in the pulpit, I have no doubt that evil has no respect. More and more churches have been studying and getting counsel for security and parishioner safety. I am sickened at what this country has become. Seeing things like this steels my resolve to stay in the fight and encourage others to do the same.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Our church deposits the offerings on Sunday via drop box. Nothing significant stays in the building.

But there are a lot of guns around on Sunday morning. More than 10 in a church of 110.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    When I read your comment it reminded me of something I had read a while back regarding the UMC and guns, so I went to the main website for the UMC. I discovered there that the UMC has declared every church to be a gun free zone, and they openly support gun control as an organization. I realize that many Methodists are pro-gun, as you stated, but the church leadership is clearly opposed to it.

You are right. I know a lot of us who do not follow that rule. UM varies a lot depending on where you are located. They do get more liberal each year.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's crazy how we as society have reached this level of disrespect and lack of decency. Stuff like this really chews at me as the volunteer facility director of a church. We have a few people who are security minded and we take a few extra steps to protect our people during services. Over the last year we have really worked to try to emplement a security team. We consulted an attorney, wrote a tenative job description/ security policy, paid for some firearms training and documented everything. Then as another part of training we had a gun laws course...only to be told by that instructor/lawyer we would be much better off legally by not having a written policy or expectation of anyone being armed. He suggested we would be better off by just having a sort of good ol' boys group of like minded individuals rather than an actual security team. A little discouraging especially when you hear of stories like these. Not to mention we Christians are being more & more targeted by radical groups and individuals. And the kicker is the first attorney thought it was wise, citing by not having any security we could be sued as negligent. Aggrevating experience

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    A good friend was asked by his church to help as the evening church groups were starting to notice a change of scenery, and at closing. He was a basic overwatch, with instructions to call 911 if anything was happening.

During an afternoon activity, 2 ladies of the Bible Study class were handbag robbed, shoved down to the ground( these ladies are 65-80 yrs old), and the Pastor asked for a heavier presence during activity. We were not scheduled for that event. Last minute less planning.

Local PD was asked for more patrols, they did help.

My friend and a PD partner of mine, and myself started rooting out the "hang arounds", added more exterior lights, removed a worn out basketball hoop hung on a service pole.
    With more overwatch, couple of hardcore GBs/ wannabes left for easier pickens. For 2 years, not an incident. Yes, we were armed. CC was the norm. Basic Navy blue windbreakers were worn by the Overwatch, ball caps if raining. 2 of us were LEOs, my friend was a former Agent with the RR Police.

Since no events occurred over 2 years, they asked to relieve our jobs, and replace the parking lot with new pavement. I didn't mind, 3 or 4 nights a week was enough to miss going home after work. No more events since 5 years now. New lot , parking stripes, lights, and no BB backboard eliminated 75% of the issues. They did start locking doors after all were indoors for the services.

Last edited:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Im glad yall carry in church. I want everyone who is capable of actually doing something without causing more harm than good to carry.

However, if you have a school that uses the property, PLEASE get permission. We have a church/school combo and twice a month at least I find mysef explaining to people on Sunday morning they will be commiting a felony. Its a stupid law but it is a law and I know for a fact they will prosecute for carrying at church if there is also a school on the premises.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This was Wed Night Service attendance should be low, mostly retired older members,...

Thanks, I'll try to remember that being middle-aged and decidedly not retired, I should just go home.

...heck if they wanted to hit the jackpot they should have hit the Easter Service, man do the faithful show up on Easter.

That's not exactly how I would describe the Easter/Christmas crowd, but the point stands.

Top Bottom