• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Picture a 6' tall 275lb man and you might just see me. I'd like to think that its not all fat though :bs: Anyway, I imagine being chubby presents a couple obstacles with comfortably concealing a carry piece. I currently do not own a handgun but I've done my research, done my rental runs at the LGS, mapped out my purchases, and just await another paycheck to make it all happen.

My question is this: chubby guys, do you have any difficulties with conceal carrying? I plan on carrying a glock 19 IWB at 4'oclock. (I am going to try 3o'clock at first, but I might be too wide for that to be comfortable) I've seen a youtube video where the guy basically just tucks everything visible under his muffin top lol. I don't think my muffin is that baked. Just want to hear from the overweight gentlemen, like myself, and any advice/issues/stories you might have.

Thanks

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    No matter your size/shape you will not be able to carry comfortably without a good holster. I really recommend you look into the crossbread holsters. So you really need to start there.

You probably should think about carrying more to your side I'm thinking.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The biggest mistake chubby guys make is their pants size. You're fat, get over it. No matter how hard you try, you can't wear the same size pants you wore back in high school. Suck it up, buy that larger size pants, and wear them over your belly.

FYI, I'm a former fat boy.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Chubby girl here. Second the comment about getting bigger pants. I've found that my CC sweet spot is at about 2:30. I'm not comfortable carrying/drawing anywhere further back than 3:00.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    FIRST - invest in a GOOD GUN BELT.

Thou needest not spend super duper amounts of money, either. A rather decent synthetic leather belt can be found here: GUN BELTS - SuperBIO Indestructible - Daltech Force

I personally have a 5.11 Casual belt for IWB purposes and a BeltMan bull belt for every day wear / OWB carry. The BeltMan belt isn't inexpensive nor will it arrive quickly. It is, IMO, worth every dollar.

Second, as addressed above: high quality holster. This doesn't mean expensive. You CAN get quality for lower cost. But you can also get top notch quality for top notch dollars. The most comfortable IWB holsters tend to be the "hybrid" styles of a leather backer against your skin + kydex holster mounted to the leather. Beware of only one section of kydex bolted directly to the leather. My IWB hybrid (a Henry) has an actual two-sided holster bolted to the leather. I'm not worried about a catastrophic failure at/near the bolt zone as can happen with single pieces of kydex.

Behind your hip bone will probably be way more comfortable than right at 3:00. 4:00 around to 5:00-5:30 are good areas to try.

Third: Also as alluded to - you must dress around the gun. If you want to wear IWB - then you'll need bigger pants - no matter if you're 150lbs or 350.

Fourth: I've found that OWB carry and covered with a Tshirt to be oh so much more comfortable...

-J- (A fat guy)

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Crossbreed gun belts and IWB holsters are FANTASTIC! Every carry gun I have, I carry this way. Actually, being bigger makes it EASIER to conceal! You should have no trouble carrying a compact gun (or sub compact) in a crossbreed Super or Mini Tuck. You can keep your shirt tucked in or untucked with these holsters. The 511 web belts are also nice as you can micro adjust them for variations in your waist size.

As for me, I did NOT have to get bigger pants just to carry. This varies from person to person. Good luck!

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    FIRST - invest in a GOOD GUN BELT.

Thou needest not spend super duper amounts of money, either. A rather decent synthetic leather belt can be found here: GUN BELTS - SuperBIO Indestructible - Daltech Force

I personally have a 5.11 Casual belt for IWB purposes and a BeltMan bull belt for every day wear / OWB carry. The BeltMan belt isn't inexpensive nor will it arrive quickly. It is, IMO, worth every dollar.

Second, as addressed above: high quality holster. This doesn't mean expensive. You CAN get quality for lower cost. But you can also get top notch quality for top notch dollars. The most comfortable IWB holsters tend to be the "hybrid" styles of a leather backer against your skin + kydex holster mounted to the leather. Beware of only one section of kydex bolted directly to the leather. My IWB hybrid (a Henry) has an actual two-sided holster bolted to the leather. I'm not worried about a catastrophic failure at/near the bolt zone as can happen with single pieces of kydex.

Behind your hip bone will probably be way more comfortable than right at 3:00. 4:00 around to 5:00-5:30 are good areas to try.

Third: Also as alluded to - you must dress around the gun. If you want to wear IWB - then you'll need bigger pants - no matter if you're 150lbs or 350.

Fourth: I've found that OWB carry and covered with a Tshirt to be oh so much more comfortable...

-J- (A fat guy)

Awesome info, thanks. Honestly never even though of the belt itself. Thanks! I have big enough shirts that I think I can carry OWB and still be concealed. I will definitely give it a go. As far as holster is concerned, I have budgeted enough money for a high-quality-comfort holster. I knew I was going to be carrying every day and would want something as comfortable as possible. I don't mind spending a little extra because I know I will be carrying for a long time. More specifically, I was looking at the DeSantis Cozy Partner

mattnik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    I'm a pretty big dude myself, and I second the post aboout clothing. Get a nice belt and pants (and shirts) that fit the shape you are in now, not when you were in high school.

I carry at about 4:00 using an IWB kydex holster made by PJ Holster. Appendix carry may be a good option. Use the "love handles" to your advantage in helping conceal if you get my drift.

Be flexible and don't be afraid to try something different if your first choice doesn't work out.

Picture a 6' tall 275lb man and you might just see me. I'd like to think that its not all fat though :bs: Anyway, I imagine being chubby presents a couple obstacles with comfortably concealing a carry piece. I currently do not own a handgun but I've done my research, done my rental runs at the LGS, mapped out my purchases, and just await another paycheck to make it all happen.

My question is this: chubby guys, do you have any difficulties with conceal carrying? I plan on carrying a glock 19 IWB at 4'oclock. (I am going to try 3o'clock at first, but I might be too wide for that to be comfortable) I've seen a youtube video where the guy basically just tucks everything visible under his muffin top lol. I don't think my muffin is that baked. Just want to hear from the overweight gentlemen, like myself, and any advice/issues/stories you might have.

Thanks

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No matter your size/shape you will not be able to carry comfortably without a good belt I really recommend you look into the crossbread holsters. So you really need to start there.

You probably should think about carrying more to your side I'm thinking.
    FTFY

You need a sturdy belt or the gun is going to flop around even with the most rigid mounting system.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm the Regional Expert on being a Fat Guy.

My credentials: 5'10" tall, maximum weight over 650 lbs, circa 1994. Current weight, approximately 385 lbs, nekkid (about 420 lbs dressed with my daily gear).

Heed my words! Heed my experience! HEED THEM!

1. Pants that fit. You need pants that fit. You. The way you are now. Not what you were when you were in high school. If you have a big belly, you need pants that go around your big belly, not under it. Even if you don't want to carry a gun, at some point your alleged "waist" is going to be halfway down your thighs to your knees if you refuse to admit you need bigger pants and just keep wearing them lower and lower as your belly grows. GET FREAKIN' PANTS THAT FREAKIN' FIT YOU.
    2. If your pants won't stay at your waist level due to your Successful Lifestyle Physique(R) PG, consider wearing suspenders along with your belt.
    3. Get the stiffest, strongest belt you can find and make sure it fits you the same way your new pants do. I recommend the Daltech Force Super BioBelt, but there are others. If you go leather, you need at least two thicknesses sewn together with a metal or polymer insert to stiffen it further and you will be replacing it every couple of years because fat guy + sweat + time + leather = stretched belt.
    4. Go back to #1, because I know you're in denial. You need pants that fit.
    5. A good quality holster that covers the trigger guard completely and is stiff enough to reholster one-handed. If you go IWB, get one that covers the entire muzzle/slide. Fat guy + holster that exposes the slide = gun popping out of holster at an inopportune time. Make sure the belt attachments are the same size as your belt.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    MTAC! (I can't believe no one has said it yet.)

As stated though, the best holster is still only as good as the belt that carties it.

I know the hybrid holsters can be really comfy when they are dry, but I sweat too much to let leather near my body. You don't want a chafed rhino near you.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Get the stiffest, strongest belt you can find and make sure it fits you the same way your new pants do. I recommend the Daltech Force Super BioBelt, but there are others. If you go leather, you need at least two thicknesses sewn together with a metal or polymer insert to stiffen it further and you will be replacing it every couple of years because fat guy + sweat + time + leather = stretched belt.

Here's another very nice belt. 1 3/4", very thick leather. It is a little pricey, but I have one and I think it should last forever. The link below is to Galco, shows their recommended retail price. Don't buy from them. Available from Optics Planet for $80.

SB6 FANCY STITCHED BELT: Belts: 1 3/4" Belts at Galco

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I know the hybrid holsters can be really comfy when they are dry, but I sweat too much to let leather near my body. You don't want a chafed rhino near you.

I keep a thin layer of bacon grease on the back of the leather to prevent chaffing. That way when I sweat it smells like bacon and the fat girls swarm!

Seriously though, I always wear an undershirt tucked in between the leather and my skin and haven't had a problem even on my sweatiest days.

My beloved MTAC is mostly retired in favor of my appendix rig these days.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I carry at about 4:00 using an IWB kydex holster made by PJ Holster. Appendix carry may be a good option. Use the "love handles" to your advantage in helping conceal if you get my drift.

Be flexible and don't be afraid to try something different if your first choice doesn't work out.
    I use PJ's IWB as well; I have three for two different pistols. I don't personally need bigger pants because there is room behind your hip bone at 4:00-4:30 - typically the rear of the gun will be just in front of the back, right pocket on jeans.

An undershirt, just a 'wife-beater' makes a big difference in comfort, IMO. I get them a size bigger than what I would typically wear in a crew-neck, and Tall if I can find them. That way they go down far enough that you never have to worry about them coming out. I'll wear one even under a T-shirt when I'm carrying IWB because it's so much more comfortable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep a thin layer of bacon grease on the back of the leather to prevent chaffing. That way when I sweat it smells like bacon and the fat girls swarm!

Seriously though, I always wear an undershirt tucked in between the leather and my skin and haven't had a problem even on my sweatiest days.

My beloved MTAC is mostly retired in favor of my appendix rig these days.

I always wear a courtesy t-shirt, but when I used to use leather IWB holsters, they were soggy by the end of the day in the summer time. I've sweated all the way through one when I've been outside all day in a class in August.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    The biggest mistake chubby guys make is their pants size. You're fat, get over it. No matter how hard you try, you can't wear the same size pants you wore back in high school. Suck it up, buy that larger size pants, and wear them over your belly.

FYI, I'm a former fat boy.

Formerly 275, currently 210 and still pressing onward (thank you Weight Watchers!). Having the correct sized pants and a good sturdy gun belt certainly did help at the time, but dropping the weight has helped significantly more (and for a host of other reasons as well). I can now effectively appendix CC a full size piece up front, and deployment has improved dramatically as well. Maybe an offensive answer to some, but an honest one (and easier said than done for sure).

And yes lovemachine has the right mindset to start out, to stop kidding oneself and get what currently fits. But if one can reach the point of honestly admitting to themselves (or sales associate even) that they need a bigger waist size, then they’re only another step further mentally from starting down the path of something more lasting through a necessary lifestyle change. Physical fitness and a healthy diet is as vital (if not more than) as picking the right gun and holster for the CC or even OC lifestyle.

That’s my :twocents:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I am your size. I normally carry a S&W 3913 IWB at about 3:30 to 4:00. But I do carry my XDm 5.25 9mm IWB once in a while.

Your BELT and HOLSTER make ALL of the difference. DO NOT BUY CHEAP STUFF for your edc set up. I have the Daltech Force Super BioBelt (under $50 shipped). It does not stretch and wont roll over on it self like most belts do with us fat guys. The Kydex/Leather holsters are great. I have a "Little FoxX" for Smith & Wesson for my 3913 and a KINGTUK IWB HOLSTER: Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Inside the Waistband / Tuckable Holsters at Galco for my XDm. ($65) I carry these all day, everyday comfortably.

I just be careful as when you sit down in a seat with arm rest (like a movie theater) that you plan ahead and move your gun prior to sitting down so it does not get hung up on the arm rest.

Top Bottom