• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't buy new cars or foreign cars. Looking for a Ford Edge right now...2011 or maybe a 2012...

So personal preference or like in the looks is one thing but just because a company was 100% American 100 years ago things have changed in the global economy. foreign brands are more American made than American brands are.

Whats the better choice buying that Chevy that was made in Mexico or that Toyota from Princeton Indiana or Nissan from Tennessee????? No matter what you purchase there is no 100% of most anything staying within this country these days.

Japanese Branded Cars: Increasingly Made In America By Americans - Forbes

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Not if they are all as ugly as the Fiat 500. Ugh! Probably one of the most awful looking cars ever produced.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol, I have an Abarth and truly love it. I even think it looks great, and it is super fun to drive. As in amazingly fun. Now the 500L on the other hand.... That is ugly to me. I also despise smart cars, any Mini Cooper that is not the basic 2 door body style, the vw beetle (especially the new style lol) most hatchbacks, and many more, but I love the 500 in turbo or Abarth trim. Sport is also ok, I don't care for the pop.

I'm 6' 2" and at least 250lbs and I fit in it just fine too, it's my perfect fun, cheap, sporty work car!

I drove a new Ford fusion yesterday for several hours an I can't fit in that car, I smack my head no matter how I bend getting in. First time I really clocked myself good too. Can't fit in the new dodge dart either. Stupid super sloped roofline I guess. The fusion is literally maybe three inches too short for my fat head, but it is really funny when I hop in a fiat with no issue at all!

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Isn't the Ford Edge built in Ontario? What do you consider a "foreign" car? The most "american" car on the market in 2014 is only 80% American* and five of the top 10 are made by Japanese car companies (Honda and Toyota).

*percentage of the vehicle manufactured in the U.S.

I don't know where it's built. Ford is an American company. So I will buy their cars. Kia is not, so I won't. Same with Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Fiat, Volkswagon, Cooper, BMW, Izuzu, Datsun, Nissan, Daewoo, etc.

I'm pissed at GM too so I'm ignoring them for the time being. I've been a Saturn owner for 20 years, and when they canceled the brand I gave up on GM.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So personal preference or like in the looks is one thing but just because a company was 100% American 100 years ago things have changed in the global economy. foreign brands are more American made than American brands are.

Whats the better choice buying that Chevy that was made in Mexico or that Toyota from Princeton Indiana or Nissan from Tennessee????? No matter what you purchase there is no 100% of most anything staying within this country these days.

Japanese Branded Cars: Increasingly Made In America By Americans - Forbes

I didn't say anything about 100%. It's my money, I'll spend it on what I want.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I didn't say anything about 100%. It's my money, I'll spend it on what I want.

My comments were not necessarily to you. They were only Objective because some are under the idealism that America name = American made. As far as where or how anybody spends their money I didn't say anything about that. Just asked generically (not you specifically) outside of personal preference of looks or brand or styling etc what's the difference between buying something with an American name made there or a foreign name made here. Sort of 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm pretty sure fiat just killed off jeep...

2014-jeep-cherokee-2-opt.jpg

...see what I mean? It's so ugly that my computer knew exactly what I was talking about.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

That's what I thought when I saw the commercials for it. I am no Jeep lover, but a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee was never a vehicle that I laughed at when I looked at one. This will rank with the Pontiac Aztek as one of the worst designs ever. Come to think of it; mate the new Jeep front end with the rear end of the Aztek, and you may well have the ugliest vehicle ever.:laugh:

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    That would be a problem for the Italian government at that point. They're an Italian company now and shouldn't be the responsibility of the American taxpayer, (shouldn't have been the first time around, if the politicians hadn't all been in bed with the unions).
    Yep, we've never given money to a foreign company or country have we ?

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Yes, safe physically. The jeep photo above will never get you anywhere and you be safe from peoples laughter though! Think of the mental well being! :D

As far a Ford goes, many vehicles are assembled in other countries. Examples include:

The mid-size Ford Fusion is manufactured alongside related Mercury and Lincoln models in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico.
    The full-size Ford Crown Victoria that is widely used by police and fleet services is assembled in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada.
    The Edge and Flex crossover vehicles are built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada alongside related Lincoln models.
    Ford F-Series pickup trucks are manufactured at a variety of plants depending on cab style. These plants include Dearborn, Michigan; Kansas City, Missouri; Valencia, Venezuela and Cuautitlan, Mexico.
    The Transit Connect cargo and passenger vans are built in Kocaeli, Turkey and Craiova, Romania for the American market.

I drive one of those Turkish built transit connects quite often, man what an underpowered vehicle! Also, funny thing with those, Ford imports them from overseas with seats installed in the rear and when it arrives they then throw away the rear seats. That way they can avoid paying the USAs "chicken tax" on the vehicle. Apparently the US is not very fond of Fords evasion of this tax currently.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have nothing but good things to say about Chrysler. I've really only drove Jeeps but I've worked on a lot of Chrysler products at our shop.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I love my 2011 Charger RT, Fiat did an amazing job at reinventing all of the Chrysler products after Daimler drove them into the ground. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wonder if Fiat has dealt with the scalping on spare parts that was institued by the germans? My long term work commuter was a Dodge. About every three years the emergency brake cables would get sticky. I changed the first pair before the german days and paid full list at the dealer. Three years later after the germans, I wanted to change them again and had the benefit of the employee discount. After getting the authorization for 50% off, I ordered up a pair of cables and they cost nearly 3 TIMES as much AFTER the 50% discount than I paid three years earlier at full list. Same factory cables, same vehicle, same dealer. Pretty hard to maintain a vehicle if they are going to play that game.

That factored in very heavily when I purchased other vehicles. Funny, that was also my last Dodge. I was really generally satisfied with the design and workmanship of vehicle, but not the company

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

...see what I mean? It's so ugly that my computer knew exactly what I was talking about.

There's no accounting for taste. I've been a Jeep owner for 20 years. I think the new cherokee looks awesome. I have a '12 Grand Cherokee and love it.

And Fiat didn't design it. The new Jeep lineup was mostly designed during the last of the Daimler years. The Grand Cherokee shares some components with Mercedes-Benz. If Fiat managed the design I think it would look and be sized more like a toaster.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There's no accounting for taste.

If Fiat managed the design I think it would look and be sized more like a toaster.

Very true statements. When the redesigned Dodge Ram pickups first came out in '94, myself and most of my friends discussed that we thought they were hideous and would never sell. Then they became a huge seller with Ford and Chevy trucks taking on some styling cues to look like that too. Now I do not condemn odd styling, just because I don't like it has nothing to do with how it will sell

All those little square box imports running around the town kind of prove there is a segment of the market that likes toaster shaped/sized cars.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Thanks for all the info on the different cars. But I think I will stick with my Thunderbirds, no matter where they were built. Just a personal preference...

Top Bottom