• ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    header_exclusive.gif

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]FAITH UNDER FIRE[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Faceoff! Cops versus preachers on public sidewalk[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]Posted: August 27, 2009[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]12:15 am Eastern[/SIZE]

[FONT=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]By Chelsea Schilling[/FONT]
    [SIZE=-1]© 2009 WorldNetDaily [/SIZE]
    sidewalk1.jpg

Street preachers hold signs condemning homosexulaity on public sidewalk (photo: Chris Pettigrew)

A street preacher is accusing police of violating his constitutional rights after officers arrested him for not having a parade permit while he spoke out against homosexuality on a public sidewalk in Manchester, Ga.
    Chris Pettigrew and Pastor Billy Ball and of Faith Baptist Church in Primrose, Ga., were arrested multiple times Aug 24 after they held signs on a public street corner telling people to repent and declaring homosexuality a sin.

They held signs that stated:
    • Repent ye, and believe the gospel. Mark 1:15
    • The sodomite lifestyle produces vile affections, ungodly lust, reprobates
    • Repent or burn
    • Three gay rights: AIDS, hell, salvation
    "There were four of us to begin with. We weren't preaching with any amplified sound," Pettigrew told WND. "Basically, as soon as we got out of the cars and started toward the sidewalk, Manchester city police officers showed up and asked us if we had a parade permit."
    He continued, "We did not have a parade permit, and we informed them that we had no plans for obtaining a parade permit because we weren't in a parade."
    Pettigrew said officers from the Manchester Police Department were initially cordial when they told him he must have a permit to stand on the sidewalk with his sign.
    "We simply said, 'We can't do that. It's our constitutional right to free speech. We're not impeding any kind of traffic. We're peaceably assembled, so we're going to do what we came to do,'" he said.
    At that moment, another officer arrived, joined the others and told the men they must obtain a permit to remain on the sidewalk.
    Displeased with their answer, Pettigrew said, "they handcuffed us and took us to the city jail in Manchester."
    Later, while Pettigrew and his comrades remained in jail, Pastor Ball and another man arrived at the street corner to share his message.
    So, police arrested Ball.

Meanwhile, officers issued Pettigrew a citation, returned his belongings and ushered him out of jail.
    "So we went back to the corner because it's America, and there was no sense in arresting us the first time," Pettigrew said. "We weren't going to let them bully us into going home."
    He continued, "By the end of the day, I had been arrested three times, and my pastor was arrested four times – simply because we wouldn't go away."
    streetpreachers.jpg

Police confront Pettigrew's group while they hold signs

By dark, his group had grown to 11 men – including four who had driven from North Carolina and South Carolina to stand on the sidewalk and support the original four who had been arrested.
    "By that time they had ceased arresting us, with the exception of my pastor, who was arrested late in the evening," Pettigrew said.
    "We had some people who came down simply because we were being arrested."
    With a tone of frustration, Pettigrew said, "We're sick and tired of people telling us what we can and can't do. It's not constitutional."
    streetpreachers2.jpg

Sheriff's department arrives

When WND contacted Manchester police and asked why Pettigrew had been arrested, a lieutenant who would not provide his name replied, "I can't make any comments on that over the phone."
    Pettigrew said one young man who was arrested with his group was contacted by the police department and told charges would be dropped if he brought the citation back.
    He maintains that his group always obeys the law "as long as it doesn't interfere with constitutional rights." However, he believes authorities detained his small group based on its message against homosexuality.
    "If I were holding a sign that said, 'Two large pizzas for $5,' I don't think I would have gotten a second look from police. I firmly and adamantly believe we were singled out and arrested because of the content of our speech," Pettigrew said.
    "If they arrest us for proclaiming the word of God, what will they arrest us for next?" he asked. "We need to get the word out that the rights of the American people are quickly being taken away, and nobody even knows it."

For those of us who plan on doing "THE WALK" we need to have on our persons copies of the ordinances. Not that it will matter but it might.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Interesting I would like to read the ordinances for the town. I like the statement that if they were holding a sign for a pizza sale they wouldn't get a second look. Probably true.... Well, welcome to the new America.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    So much hate... puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Such abuse of power and a clear violation of free speach (IMHO)... yep, that bad taste is still there, getting worse even.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I have been "preaching" about this for a while. It's a constitutional right, but with these "parade permits" they effectively void your constitutional rights, which .... is unconstitutional.

A while back, there was a guy in Bedford who had a lot of signs in his yard and they tried to get him to take them down, something about appearance and city codes. If I recall he won that legal argument.

I don't care for Nazi movements or KKK assemblies, BUT it does give me peace in knowing that if I can see and hear them, then I have confidence that I can be heard on the things that matter to me.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I guess when the truth hurts all ya got to do is run to the cops any more.

Truth don't really matter much. If you speak the truth and the truth hurts a whiner the cops will still give 'em a ticket, infraction, what ever.

You'd think if some one didn't want to read those signs they could just look the other way or not read them, maybe it's their own conciense that hurting them. They can look away but they still know the truth of what is being said.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Turn this around a little. If it were a gay rights group on that corner and they held signs proclaiming their right to be gay, the cops would not have arrested them. Or if they were arrested, the ACLU would be right on top of this proclaiming that their civil liberities and freedom of speech had been violated. Goes to show how far we have come as a nation. If you are part of a fringe group, you can get away with more than the general population.

I agree with the post about if it had been on a t-shirt. Would they have arrested them because they didnt have a permit to have that on a shirt? Come on. I am sure the city council just didnt like the message. You know, the traditional christian message about sins.

Rant off.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I guess in that little world if what homosexuals are doing is legal then it makes saying it is wrong the illegal action now.

Abortions are "legal", does that mean saying they are wrong is now illegal?

Wouldn't want to hurt any one's feelings about what they choose to do.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Well we want Canada's health care, why not Canada's hate speech legislation. Arrest ministers in the pulpit for reading that inconvenient part about it being an abomination.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This makes me absolutely furious. The whole concept of a "Parade Pemit" is unconstitutional. This doesn't just apply to "the walk." This applies to every protest and rally that you have been hearing about lately. Like the one I am going tomorrow afternoon.

It doesn't matter if its a preacher or a klansman. They have the right to peaceably assemble. I can't believe they are getting this kind of harassment for standing holding a sign!!

I can't believe this.

Join me in sending some angry letters.

Here is the Manchester Police Department's Website:
    Police Dept

And Mailing Address:
    Manchester Police Department
    [FONT=Century Schoolbook,serif]P.O. Box 366
    Manchester, Georgia 31816
    Phone (706) 846-3155
    Fax (706) 846-9483

Email Manchester City Hall Clerk:
    cityclerk@manchester-ga.com

Email the Manchester Mayor:
    mayorclifton@manchester-ga.com

Email the Pro-Tem Mayor:
    mptferguson@manchester-ga.com

Email the City Council:
    cmemberburt@manchester-ga.com
    cmemberelliott@manchester-ga.com
    cmemberferguson@manchester-ga.com

[/FONT]

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Letter to all addresses above:

I sent this to the mayor, councilmen, etc. All emails listed above.

I am respectfully writing you about an issue that brings me great concern; an event that occurred on 24-Aug 2009, in Manchester, GA.

People with signs were arrested for standing on a public street corner. They did not threaten; they were not loud; they merely were exercising their right to free speech.

Here is an article about it:
    http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=108049

It appears that we have completely abandoned the concept of "the right to peaceably assemble" that was laid out in the Constitution. While I don't particularly support their message, I firmly support the U.S. Constitution and the freedoms explained therein.

I cannot begin to express my outrage that this happened and disappointment in those who allowed this to happen. I will site the First Amendment of the Constitution of United States so you can see why this should not happen in America.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

In the name of Liberty and Freedom I ask you to do anything in your power to correct this mistake and to ensure that it doesn't happen to future petitioners. It wouldn't matter to me if it were a Priest or a Klansman. The right to assemble is clearly explained in the constitution. And for the cause of Freedom I stand.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I can't wait til the Pro Nudist movement rally. We are the only true believers of god. You were the ones who hid behind clothing to hid the true image of god. We will have a large amount of naked people wearing signs of there own bodies graphically detailed in their glourious nudity. No one would have a bleeding heart for that group.

snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    Throughout the years I have seen Christians evangelize or witness and seen them do it effectively or in a not-so-effective manner. My point here is that I think these people in GA are not helping the spreading of Gospel or pointing out our sins in an effective manner. Don't get me wrong I believe in their message 100%, just not their delivery. As a side note, if a person wants to witness/defend the Message of the Gospel then check out the resources at "Stand to Reason Ministries", http://www.str.org/site/PageServer . I know there are other great resources, use/check those other sources out too.

I must admit that the "parade permit" charge is weak and I would be interested to read that ordnance or code that they are being charged with and see want it really says. Anyway, I must wonder did these people follow the rules. I hope they did and I am saddened that their (IMHO) 1st Amendment rights were trampled on.

What is sad is the fact that Christians are now starting to really be persecuted for their beliefs here is America. It is very much common place throughout the rest of the world. If interested check out the The Voice of the Martyrs at http://www.persecution.com/ .

Okay, I'm now going to step off my soap box.
    Blessings...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ...just following orders. It's the law...
    The "County Sheriff America's Last Group" book (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...county_sheriffs_america_s_last_hope_book.html) that I am currenlty reading talks about this VERY THING!!!

In the book LEO, Peace Officers, etc.. are reminded "just following orders" is NOT good enough if those laws are a clear violation of the constitution.

WoW.. what a small world. This book is a very good read. EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT!!!!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I can't wait til the Pro Nudist movement rally. We are the only true believers of god. You were the ones who hid behind clothing to hid the true image of god. We will have a large amount of naked people wearing signs of there own bodies graphically detailed in their glourious nudity. No one would have a bleeding heart for that group.

:rockwoot::popcorn:

Top Bottom