Smith m&p
    sig sp2022
    springfield xdm
    walther ppq
    hk usp or p30
    glock
    cz p09 or p07
    beretta px4

all are quality firearms that will serve you well for a long time. Go fondle them all and see which one you like the most and get it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you really like the 1911s you might want to look at the CZ P07. You have the option, with the safety, of carrying cocked and locked.

bob190e

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I would go H&K P30 13+1 mag capacity and depending what version you get it can have a thumb safety and decocker. The only thing I am not fond of on the P30 is the trigger reset.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    H&K. But a Mark 23 is ridiculously expensive and not even close to a reasonable entry in the polymer market for you.

A P2000sk, P2000 or P30 would be my recommendation. You should be able to get any one of those for less than $1000 new.

When the chips are down, those guns are my choice.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I guess I should have added this into the original post.. I do precision machine work for a living. Everything has to fit together perfectly on said firearm or i wont be able to own it without it driving me nuts..

There aren't any plastic guns that fit that bill. I've owned them all. Give up now, and stick to 1911s. ;)

Wheeler-Dealer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    East-Central
    I'm in the same boat.

I can't seem to get away from my 1911's.

I've owned Glock's and Ruger P-series and many revolver pistols in the past as well, and while dependable, they just didn't "do it" for me.

I'm looking into HK's, Sigs and Springfield's currently and I'm currently leaning more towards the offerings from HK and Sig.

I'm starting to like the 1911-esque poly guns from them more and more....but it's hard for me to not go back to simple guns like a snubby revolver....if I'm choosing anything other than one of my 1911's.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If I were in the market for a new Poly framed gun and if i wasn't already set up for Glock....

I would look really hard at the Walther PPQ M2. I handled one and ALMOST put it in layaway. Trigger is amazing for a striker fired pistol, feel in the hand is unlike any Poly gun I have ever felt. It was simply comfortable, it almost melts in your hand. If I was starting fresh the Walther would be my choice.

I am a die hard CZ fan so of course the P-07 gets honorable mention as Runner up.

The only downside with both of them is availability of aftermarket and OEM parts, like mags and holsters. That is why in the end I went with Glock as my Poly pistol of choice. Simply because they are EVERYWHERE.

CZ or 1911 are my choices for metal framed guns though no question.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the CZ's too. Frame mounted safety and nice grip angle.

If polymer in DA/SA is the direction OP wants to go, look at Tanfoglio's (EAA Witness) offerings, too.

They have Full Size, Compacts and a P-Carry that is in between. Just about all popular calibers available and most interchange with each other.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There aren't any plastic guns that fit that bill. I've owned them all. Give up now, and stick to 1911s. ;)

I'm going to agree with this, you won't find a polymer you like if you are looking for a smooth trigger, superb machining, etc. If all you've shot is 1911s, you probably won't find the grip angle on many of the polymers very natural, either.

If you just want a cheap don't care if its banged up gun, try to find a used CZ40B. Same grip angle as the 1911, you can probably score one for under $400, and it holds about 13+1 if you use CZ75 magazines (factory CZ40 mags are Clinton era neutered and will only hold 10). Its not polymer and its not terribly light, but you won't cry if you scratch it, its reliable as an anvil, and has a pretty decent DA/SA trigger. I had one with over 5k rounds through it when I bought my Springfield 1911 and stopped carrying it.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I like the looks of that H&K usp, they also have plenty of good reviews and they are considerably cheaper than that mark 23. I might have to locate one and see if i can find a feel for it. Ill have to look into that cz40b too. Thanks for the tips everyone!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A car is a tool too...but I sure don't want an ugly one.

Good analogy. Think of the plastic gun as the winter beater car. If you have a nice car that does not get driven in the winter because you want it to last a long time, you buy a car to use in the winter that you aren't emotionally attached to. As an example, my wife has a '98 BMW that is in pristine condition. It's not worth much, but she loves the thing and does not drive it in the winter. While the bimmer is parked, she drives an old Subaru that is a tank in the snow. Same concept behind wanting a plastic gun. A lot of guns have a bit of soul that is lacking in most plastic guns. I have an emotional attachment to most of my 1911s that I just don't feel with my Glocks. I carry the Glocks more because of that. They are the winter beater of guns and can be carried in harsh environments without any concern for scratches or dings.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I have to give another +1 for the P2000, P30, or USP. As far as top notch quality in a polymer pistol you can't do better than H&K.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Good analogy. Think of the plastic gun as the winter beater car. If you have a nice car that does not get driven in the winter because you want it to last a long time, you buy a car to use in the winter that you aren't emotionally attached to. As an example, my wife has a '98 BMW that is in pristine condition. It's not worth much, but she loves the thing and does not drive it in the winter. While the bimmer is parked, she drives an old Subaru that is a tank in the snow. Same concept behind wanting a plastic gun. A lot of guns have a bit of soul that is lacking in most plastic guns. I have an emotional attachment to most of my 1911s that I just don't feel with my Glocks. I carry the Glocks more because of that. They are the winter beater of guns and can be carried in harsh environments without any concern for scratches or dings.
    And they will ALWAYS get you from point A to point B. regardless of mileage, will run on whatever fuel you feed them, won't leave you stranded when you need them most, were designed within the past century... Etc.

Top Bottom