• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MBogus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've always wondered why many of these articles never cover advance warning systems when talking about the right home defense firearm. Your effectiveness in defending yourself is lessened greatly if the bad guys are already standing over you. In addition to my canine "we heard a mouse fart" warning system, my home alarm goes off instantly whenever a door or window is opened during overnight hours. Those seconds count.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've found that a good dog is an excellent early warning system...and I've never had one fail! Both dog's I've owned learn who friends and family are and their barks revealed whether the individual outside was friend or foe (1st time there.)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I agree with you on security systems. I think that is a good point and could be added to the comments of the article.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I've always wondered why many of these articles never cover advance warning systems when talking about the right home defense firearm. Your effectiveness in defending yourself is lessened greatly if the bad guys are already standing over you. In addition to my canine "we heard a mouse fart" warning system, my home alarm goes off instantly whenever a door or window is opened during overnight hours. Those seconds count.

Burglers have one thing in common...they hate light and noise when trying to break into a house. A good alarm system that uses a wireless call out system is great to have. Wireless because many of these scumbags know to cut land line cables. Another great system is one I use from X10, I can hit a single button in my bedroom and turn on a bright table lamp or overhead light in every room and hallway except the bedroom. I can also use it to trigger an alarm bell that is separate from my alarm system...noise and light at command.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    That was a good article. Especially when he pointed out that when choosing a home defense gun, think about having to use it from only 5-10 yards. Which is why he then went into his paragraph about why a rifle isn't really the best choice for home defense. Which one of my buddies has, I may send this article to him for him to read.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I'll always recommend a pump action shotgun for home defense if for no other reason than it's a long stick or club and it's a lot better to get into a fight with a bat than a brick.

I understand the reasons some want an AR-15 and the reasons some want a .22 pistol or even a lever gun. Like concealed carry, I hope folks use a gun, ANY GUN, as opposed to no gun at all. If they're really smart, they'll have multiple guns available!

Top Bottom