• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    The only reason i like mossy better than remington is the safety.

On the mossberg it is right there on top, easily visible at a glance.

Both shotguns have incredible number of aftermarket parts, so go with whichever feels better to you. Either one will serve you well.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    870 was my first and my last purchase.
    IMG_0512_zpsc46b26a6.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have an 87 DSPS, a 37 DSPS, older Remmy Police 870 Magnum with corn cob fore end and walnut stock and a newer 870 Police with synthetic furniture. I really like the DSPS parkerizing, oiled walnut and orange bead sights. They hold 9 rounds and the slam fire can be fun as long as you can hold onto it! The receiver is strong as can be but the single action bar can cause some binding during heavy use. Not many aftermarket parts available for them though. The Remmys are strong, dual action bars, easy to maintain and have a plethora of parts/options available. I like the Ithaca a bit better just because I like to be a little different than the mainstream and they fit me well. I've had several Mossbergs but never really liked them. So I'd say get an Ithaca or Remington. :twocents:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When an Ithaca fails it fails big time.

All of these guns are great when they are working properly. Back in 77 when I was trying to decide between an Ithaca or Wingmaster 870 as my first gun purchase I went with the 870. I liked the Ithaca better but I had seen too many of them jam so I went 870. Plus it fit me best.

To this day that remains true. Even when we all go old school for nostalgia sake on the pad or in the field and get out the guns of our youth, you can bet good money if a gun chokes it will be the Ithaca first.

If I were to buy an Ithaca, it would be 1960's production over the new ones.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I own all 3 and have for years and years.
    I keep the Ithaca by the bed ready to make noise when needed.
    It's fast and has thousands of shells fired through it. Never an issue. It's probably a 50s model as I bought it well used in the late '60s.
    It's been muddy, bloody, dusty, rusty, and abused. It just laughs it off and keeps doing it's job.
    I just spray it down with RemOil occasionally and use it.
    Of the 3 you listed I'd put them in this order..
    1: Ithaca 37
    2:870 Wingmaster
    3: Mossy 500
    4 870 Express
    just from my personal experiences. I don't read about them and form an opinion. I use them.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've hunted with all 3.

My vote is 870. If you're a lefty, buy a left hand model :)

I had a like new M37 Deerslayer break the action bar from the forend tube. Dead rig. Cost me $15 back in '84 to get a new assembly.

Never had an 870 fail, had over a dozen of them, shot them a lot. The only current 870 I have is a cheap Express supermag model. It's been flawless and I beat the crap out of it.
    It is a pre Cerberus model.

Back in the old days of smooth bore deer hunting the 500 was IMHO a bit more accurate on average due to the bbl lockup. So that was the pick then.

But that was for deer hunting, not wingshooting. The 500's have way too thick of a wrist for my liking. Used them, even 835.............but that rattle, I just couldn't tolerate it, or the general feel of them.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have two Ithacas one from the fifty's and one from the seventies. I shot and hunted with them as a youg boy and am still shooting them without any issues with either one. I also have an 870. The Mossy to me feels cheaply made and not real tough. If I had to choose one I would go with the 870 because of the dual slide bars and the ability to load on the fly via the side port. If all you want to do is hunt go with the Ithaca it is light and easy to carry and shoot fast. Hard decision both are wonderful guns and have a broad range of uses.

Top Bottom