• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I can't seem to find anything quickly to support this but, I seem to remember reading something years ago where Chinese families were aborting female fetuses if their one government approved pregnancy was a male child.
    I could be mistaken. I'm my memory is correct, however, they've done it to themselves.
    Besides, how else are you going to build and maintain a million man army if you dont have an imbalance in the number of males in the population?

With the Chinese one child policy, IF the child Dies before it is one year old, they are allowed to have another. Since a male child, in China, is considered an "asset", and a female child a "liability", there is a hugely disproportionate amount of SIDS, and "accidental" (such as bathtub drownings) in the first year of a Childs life, amoug the sexes. So, YES, they have done it to themselves.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Just remember in the countryside the 1 child policy was commonly ignored. My wife is one of 5 children (3 boys and 2 girls) and from what I have seen in her province it was common to have more than 1 child.

The times I have been in China I have not noticed a shortage of young women...I know the numbers say different but I didn't notice it.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    And I, for one, don't think it's a small one. They've got an imbalance between the sexes in their country. Too many males and not enough females. One in four males in that country are going to go through life without a wife, or even a girlfriend. That number works out to 10's of millions of people who are going to react in a variety of ways, (as the author points out) but he doesn't think creatively enough. These guys could plunge China into a state of chaos. Especially, since the government can't possibly do anything about it, (short of sending expeditionary forces abroad to kidnap women). While it's a sad situation on one level, on another it lends itself to creating a chaotic dystopia where rape gangs rove the cities and countryside. Then again, they could always euthanise the lonely.

Ah, another issue with youth in asia....

:joke:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    China also has a problem with a rapidly aging population. They're going to have a population plummet in a few decades. Populations may rise geometrically but they fall that way also.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    so does this mean the Chinese mail order bride catalog is no longer valid?!

;)

Sort of... I was trying to buy a few a couple weeks ago and my broker let me know that they are currently not accepting new orders because they need to recalculate pricing. He said that he suspected at least an 18% price increase over previously May quotes and that there would now only be a quantity discount for purchases of 10 or more.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Sort of... I was trying to buy a few a couple weeks ago and my broker let me know that they are currently not accepting new orders because they need to recalculate pricing. He said that he suspected at least an 18% price increase over previously May quotes and that there would now only be a quantity discount for purchases of 10 or more.

Oh dang, does that mean i lost my security deposit?

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    They've had this problem in China for a little while now.

They might have to alter the one child policy and make having boys illegal, or carry heavy fines. A country full of a bunch of guys, I'm sure tourism is going to boom :laugh:

Actually outside the major cities there is already an exception. Typically, if your first child is a girl, you can have a second. In the big cities tho it is still pretty strict.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    I can't seem to find anything quickly to support this but, I seem to remember reading something years ago where Chinese families were aborting female fetuses if their one government approved pregnancy was a male child.
    I could be mistaken. I'm my memory is correct, however, they've done it to themselves.
    Besides, how else are you going to build and maintain a million man army if you dont have an imbalance in the number of males in the population?

This actually led to a law here, now doctors can't tell the prospective parents the gender of the unborn child. Of course, their are corrupt doctors that will drop "hints" in exchange for "gifts". But one thing people don't know about Chinese is that they are generally quite law-abiding.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This actually led to a law here, now doctors can't tell the prospective parents the gender of the unborn child. Of course, their are corrupt doctors that will drop "hints" in exchange for "gifts".

Are they corrupt, or are they defying an unjust law?

Top Bottom