China condems the United States on civil rights.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Full Text of Human Rights Record of the United States in 2011 <--full article

Released 5/25/2012
    A few paragraphs.

Abuse of power, brutal enforcement of law and overuse of force by U.S. police have resulted in harassment and hurt to a large number of innocent citizens and have caused loss of freedom of some people or even deaths. According to a report carried by the World Journal on June 10, 2011, the past decade saw increasing stop-and-frisks by the New York police, which recorded an annual of 600,000 cases in 2010, almost double of that in 2004. In the first three months of 2011, some 180,000 people experienced stop-and-frisks, 88 percent of whom were innocent people (World Journal, June 10, 2011). In early July of 2011, two police officers beat a mentally ill homeless man to death in Orange County, Southern California (FoxNews.com, September 21, 2011). In August 2011, North Miami police shot and killed a man carrying realistic toy gun (The NY Daily News, September 1, 2011). On Jan. 8, 2011, a Central California man was shot and killed by the police, who thought of him as a gang member only because the jacket he was wearing was red, "the chosen color of a local street gang." (KOLO - HomePage, January 19, 2011) In May 2011, Arizona' s police officers raided the home of Jose Guerena and shot him dead in what was described as an investigation into alleged marijuana trafficking. However, the police later found nothing illegal in his home (The Huffington Post, May 25, 2011). Misjudged and wrongly-handled cases continued to occur. According to media reports, Anthony Graves, a Texas man, was imprisoned for 18 years for crimes he did not commit (CBS News, June 22, 2011). Forty-six-year-old Thomas Haynesworth spent 27 years in prison after being arrested at the age of 18 for crimes he didn' t commit (Union Press International, December 7, 2011). Eric Caine, who was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment after being tortured by police into confessing to two murders, spent nearly 25 years behind bars.(Chicago Tribune, June 13, 2011). The U.S. lacks basic due lawsuit process protections, and its government continues to claim the right to strip citizens of legal protections based on its sole discretion (The Washington Post, January 14, 2012). The National Defense Authorization Act, signed December 31, 2011, allows for the indefinite detention of citizens (The Washington Post, January 14, 2012). The Act will place domestic terror investigations and interrogations into the hands of the military and which would open the door for trial-free, indefinite detention of anyone, including American citizens, so long as the government calls them terrorists (Information for the World's Business Leaders - Forbes.com, December 5, 2011).
    The U.S. remains the country with the largest "prison population" and the highest per capita level of imprisonment in the world, and the detention centers' conditions are terrible. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, the number of prisoners amounted to 2.3 million in 2009 and one in every 132 American citizens is behind bars. Meanwhile, more than 140,000 are serving life sentences ("Report: On the situation with human rights in a host of world states," the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Russia, December 28, 2011). According to a Los Angeles Times report on May 24, 2011, in a California prison, as many as 54 inmates may share a single toilet and as many as 200 prisoners may live in a gymnasium (Los Angeles Times, May 24, 2011). According to data issued by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the estimated number of prison and jail inmates experiencing sexual victimization totaled 88,500 in the U.S. between October 2008 and December 2009 (Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)). Since April 2011, officials stopped serving lunch on the weekend in some U.S. prisons as a way to cut food-service costs. About 23,000 inmates in 36 prisons are eating two meals a day on Saturdays and Sundays instead of three (The New York Times, October 20, 2011). Harsh conditions and treatment in prisons have caused recurring protests and suicides of inmates. There were two major hunger strikes in California prisons staged by a total of more than 6,000 and 12,000 prisoners in July and October 2011, respectively, to protest against what they call harsh treatment and detention conditions (CNN, October 4, 2011; The New York Times, July 7, 2011). According to a Chicago Tribune report on July 20, 2011, since 2000, at least 175 youths have attempted to kill themselves inside Department of Juvenile Justice lockup facilities in Chicago and seven youths committed suicide. The UN Special Rapporteur on Torture in a 2011 report noted that in the Untied States an estimated 20,000 to 25,000 individuals are being held in isolation, and the U.S. government in 2011 for two times turned down the Special Rapporteur's request for a private and unmonitored meeting with detainees held in isolation.

The above-mentioned facts are but a small yet illustrative enough fraction of the United States' dismal record on its human rights situation. The United States' own tarnished human rights record has made it in no condition, on moral, political or legal basis, to act as the world's "human rights justice," to place itself above other countries and release the Country Reports on Human Rights Practices year after year to accuse and blame other countries. We hereby advise the U.S. government once again to look squarely at its own grave human rights problems, to stop the unpopular practices of taking human rights as a political instrument for interference in other countries' internal affairs, smearing other nations'images and seeking its own strategic interests, and to cease using double standards on human rights and pursuing hegemony under the pretext of human rights.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    [smokingman] hits you with Wall of Text for 1337 damage (+349 critical).
    You die.

I know I know.I hate walls of text as well.It is pretty sad that as a general rule humans have attention spans of around 40 seconds.Reading more than that length of time and we tend to wonder off.

Maybe I should have broken it up a little into more posts.I could edit it down into 40 second blocks and post it all night :P?

Are you still reading this? I though the critical hit finished you off lol?

Still reading?

Read the entire thing at the source.You know so you can understand how China sees our second amendment rights destroying our personal freedom and all.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    For the gnats lol.

The United States prioritizes the right to keep and bear arms over the protection of citizens' lives and personal security and exercises lax firearm possession control, causing rampant gun ownership.

The U.S. people hold between 35 percent and 50 percent of the world' s civilian-owned guns, with every 100 people having 90 guns (Online edition of the Foreign Policy, January 9, 2011). According to a Gallup poll in October 2011, 47 percent of American adults reported that they had a gun.

The rest at the source...
    Full Text of Human Rights Record of the United States in 2011

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, while it's definitely a case of the pot and the kettle, (and I didn't care for their shot at our firearms), I can't say that they were really wrong. We DO imprison more of our people than they do. Of course they execute more than we do. Someone needs to call us out on our faults on the big stage. It might make a difference and actually move things in the right direction, even though I'm not going to count on it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    In Chicago, more than 10 overnight shooting incidents took place just between the evening of June 3 and the morning of June 4 (Chicago Tribune, June 4, 2011). Another five overnight shootings occurred between August 12 evening and August 13 morning in Chicago. These incidents have caused a number of deaths and injuries (Chicago Tribune, August 13, 2011). Shooting spree cases involving one gunman shooting dead over five people also happened in the states of Michigan, Texas, Ohio, Nevada and Southern California

Wait...But I thought Chicago and California were miraculous gun-free zones?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They're just responding to our annual report on their human rights failings. (Actually our annual report on the rest of the world's failings.)

Country Reports on Human Rights Practices

This is just their way of delivering the above-mentioned MYOB two-finger salute back at us.

This is true! Besides, you have to admit that their methods (summary execution, or not missing it by far) really does help to keep the taxes down.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know I know.I hate walls of text as well.It is pretty sad that as a general rule humans have attention spans of around 40 seconds.Reading more than that length of time and we tend to wonder off.

Maybe I should have broken it up a little into more posts.I could edit it down into 40 second blocks and post it all night :P?

-snip-

With me at age 56, it has NOTHING to do with attention span.

When I was 37 I had no eyestrain from reading walls of text with no breaks either. :laugh:

And yes, my eyes check out, they're just old.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I think you forgot your sarcasm tag......:dunno:

Nah. Say you're in high school. Everyone in your gym class is a slob, including you. You happen to clock a 10 minute mile while the rest of the mouth breathers are at least 20 or 30 seconds behind you... That makes you the best. If one of the other chubby bastards points at you and says your 10 minute mile should be an embarrassment, just remind him that you won the race.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Nah. Say you're in high school. Everyone in your gym class is a slob, including you. You happen to clock a 10 minute mile while the rest of the mouth breathers are at least 20 or 30 seconds behind you... That makes you the best. If one of the other chubby bastards points at you and says your 10 minute mile should be an embarrassment, just remind him that you won the race.

The Founders would be pleased to see how far we've come.

Instead of a light shining on a hill, we're a candle guttering on a molehill. :(

Top Bottom