• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Don't automatically assume you need to load your chicks up with antibiotics. One of the (many) reasons to raise your own chickens is to have a better quality meat that is also healthier than what you get from the store and the chicken factories. Don't replicate the procedures the disgusting chicken factories use. They load their birds up with antibiotics because they NEED to. Raise them right and it's totally unnecessary in most circumstances.

I agree, We use the antibiotics to prevent Coccidiosis. It is at very low levels in the feed, and we mix it 50/50 with normal feed until 8 weeks of age and then we use regular old feed. this was a tip from a fellow homesteader whom I trust a great deal. Other than that we do not medicate for anything else unless need be, no growth hormones etc. You hit the nail on the head with the disgusting practices of the chicken factories!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I agree, We use the antibiotics to prevent Coccidiosis. It is at very low levels in the feed, and we mix it 50/50 with normal feed until 8 weeks of age and then we use regular old feed. this was a tip from a fellow homesteader whom I trust a great deal. Other than that we do not medicate for anything else unless need be, no growth hormones etc. You hit the nail on the head with the disgusting practices of the chicken factories!

I tried a few times to use the unmedicated feed. The problem is coccidiosis is a pernicious pathogen. It's possible to raise chickens without the medicated feed but it requires a lot more scrupulous attention to cleanliness and careful introduction of new birds to the flock. Even with that we were losing up to half the new hens to it. Next we tried just using the medicated feed if a bird was starting to show symptoms and that worked for about half of the symptomatic birds. I hate wanton use of antibiotics but it's something that takes more careful management if you go without.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I tried a few times to use the unmedicated feed. The problem is coccidiosis is a pernicious pathogen. It's possible to raise chickens without the medicated feed but it requires a lot more scrupulous attention to cleanliness and careful introduction of new birds to the flock. Even with that we were losing up to half the new hens to it. Next we tried just using the medicated feed if a bird was starting to show symptoms and that worked for about half of the symptomatic birds. I hate wanton use of antibiotics but it's something that takes more careful management if you go without.

Do you feed the medicated food all the time or only if symptoms are present? I ask because some say all the time, and others say never. Im in the middle of the road with it. I want healthy eggs, but I want healthy chickens producing healthy eggs. I was told it is more prevelent in chicks than adults, is that true? By no means am I an expert and I try to learn more and more everyday.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do you feed the medicated food all the time or only if symptoms are present? I ask because some say all the time, and others say never. Im in the middle of the road with it. I want healthy eggs, but I want healthy chickens producing healthy eggs. I was told it is more prevelent in chicks than adults, is that true? By no means am I an expert and I try to learn more and more everyday.

The time I watch for it is when I introduce the new birds to the flock. We're only having 6-12 birds at a time though. It depends on how closely you are willing to watch your birds. When we're at a time of year where we're pressed for time we'll feed all of them all of the time. Otherwise we watch for symptoms and feed until a week or two after symptoms go away, but you have to catch it early.

Once chicks make it to adulthood they're usually fine from coccidiosis.

BTW, you can send eggs (I think they need a dozen at a time) to Purdue to check for presence of salmonella in the eggs. The extension folks told me they do this for free. That is something you DON'T want as getting rid of it usually requires destruction of the whole flock and complete decon of the entire chicken area.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have had a couple really good breeds. rhode island reds are great, golden comets are a good breed but my favorite has to be easter eggers. they are a flighty bird but they lay good.

my birds free range at all times except night. I don't clip any of there wings or anything else. in the past 2 years I have had 14 birds. all but 3 have been eaten (serious fox population but it's disappearing just as fast as my chickens lol) and no matter what my 2 easter eggers lived and I think it's because they are a flightier bird, just a lot more cautious. they will worry some people as they lay green, blue and brown eggs though.

ohhh and backyard chickens is a great resource but most of them treat their chickens like pets and not chickens lol. they go all out and have surgeries and stuff preformed on their chicks and do this and that. remember chickens are cheap replace as needed. they aren't worth 100 plus dollar vet visit.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    ohhh and backyard chickens is a great resource but most of them treat their chickens like pets and not chickens lol. they go all out and have surgeries and stuff preformed on their chicks and do this and that. remember chickens are cheap replace as needed. they aren't worth 100 plus dollar vet visit.

A laying hen is worth about $10-15 to me over the cost of feed. Any more than that and they are either stew meat or carrion. I get a lot of information from BYC but I never created an account over there because I'd have a hard time NOT posting "it's just a chicken you idiot" several times a day.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    A laying hen is worth about $10-15 to me over the cost of feed. Any more than that and they are either stew meat or carrion. I get a lot of information from BYC but I never created an account over there because I'd have a hard time NOT posting "it's just a chicken you idiot" several times a day.

Right there with you! My wife has named them, and I refuse to accept it lol.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Surgery is free when you do it yourself :)

Ours are pretty much pets though - just ask the kids.

Anyone selling hens in the central Indiana area? We really want to add a Bantam hen to our flock. I can't find one to save my life.

Also - I hear "duke dog-proof coon traps" work very well to take out city coons.

Yes, this is in Carmel:
    khUDg.jpg

vo9d8.jpg

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Try Tractor Supply in Plainfield. They had a bunch of Bantums last week.

Most of the TS stores do - including the one near me... but here's the rub:

1) They're not pullets -remember us city folk can only have hens.
    2) Six is the minimum purchase

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My brother in law buys high protein Purina Dog Chow and grinds it up into a meal...mixes it in with the cracked corn he feds his birds, makes really great eggs.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    My girlfriend and I have done a lot of research on having chickens. I've worked on horse farms with chickens some years back, so we decided it was time to raise our own.

Bought a coop today, and building the accompanying wire run this week.

Like I said, I've tended chickens before, but I've never raised them. Anyone have any good advice for a beginning chicken farmer. We're going to raise them from chicks for egg production only. No roos.

Preferred egg breeds? Certain chicken feeds that you recommend? Other advice you have.... ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Barred Rocks are a hearty breed that also lay very well. My five give me anywhere from 3 to 5 per day. They are also pretty quiet and dosile...unless you are a bug.

Definatley check Backyard chickens.com and be ready for eggs at 18 weeks.

P.S. Dont feed them potatoes.

Top Bottom