• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Let me see yours please.
    I am about to receive some Guinea fowl chick's in a couple of weeks and I need an enclosure.
    I need some ideas.
    This is my first chicken rodeo.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Let me see yours please.
    I am about to receive some Guinea fowl chick's in a couple of weeks and I need an enclosure.
    I need some ideas.
    This is my first chicken rodeo.
    Guineas….. are NOT chickens lol they are fricken wild. What’s your plans for them??? If you try and treat them like chickens it will end poorly for all involved.

Last edited:

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What are you using them for? Using context clues from your other posts I am assuming tick patrol?

So for pest control they are going to need to free range obviously….. guineas take a lot longer to realize where ”home” is you need to keep them locked up for 3-4 months to even have a chance they actually return. After that let them out for like 2-3wks 30 minutes before sunset then after 2-3wks of that gradually increase the amount of time before sunset.

Until next summer when you finally work up the courage to let them out in the morning….. and they just leave and don’t come back lol just kidding but really there are no guarantees with guineas they kinda beat to their own drum.

they are Very loud but I liked the noise they nest in the spring like turkeys so prepare for a few hens to go hide somewhere with a clutch of eggs. When given the opportunity they are good parents but just like turkeys they need protection from ground predators.

Meat is all Dark meat, needs a slow cooking approach. (Have not mastered it) eggs only laid in clutches in the spring have an extremely hard shell and are tiny.

as for a coop or enclosure…… just a 3 sided structure with a roof and fencing on the non-prevailing wind side. Make it as big as you can (only because they have to be locked up so long during training) and lots of high roosts

all in all I loved having them around they were good alert animals fun to watch and eat lots of bugs. But my neighbors houses (particularly gardens) are too close and these guys love to wander they explore MUCH further than chickens ducks and turkeys. My neighbor said he loved them…… but I’d imagine after they picked his garden clean he’d change his mind. We had ours for 3-4 years even had a flock of them escape and come back 2 years later having hatched offspring and survived.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, predominately for insect control, but also for alert status.
    I've also heard a Guinea flock will eat mice and small rats!
    I know they aren't chickens, but they do act a lot like them at times.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yes, predominately for insect control, but also for alert status.
    I've also heard a Guinea flock will eat mice and small rats!
    I know they aren't chickens, but they do act a lot like them at times.
    Snakes too they work as a pack lol they are very different from chickens. once you have the two side by side you will see. They are great and the only time you need to feed them is winter and lock up time. (Although a daily feeding will help keep them interested in your area)

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Here's my chicken coupe!
    bird_1460.jpg

Oh! You meant coop!

Here's our chicken tractor. Moved to a new spot on the property each day.
    25 hours to build @ ~$800 materials.
    20230929152045-16ff56da-me.jpg

1716907072186.png

Pics of the build:

Last edited:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Here's my chicken coupe!
    bird_1460.jpg

Oh! You meant coop!

Here's our chicken tractor. Moved to a new spot on the property each day.
    25 hours to build @ ~$800 materials.
    20230929152045-16ff56da-me.jpg

View attachment 355502

Pics of the build:

Holy****That is my aspirational dream car!
    I had a '67 convertible FB with the 6 cyl in high school. I paid $150 for it.
    The floor pans were rusted to the point I could see the road going by under my feet (it was OK, I had floor mats), the roof leaked to the point small plants once sprouted in the carpet and it drank oil but it was soooo much fun. I installed a Craig 8 track with Pioneer speakers in homemade boxes sitting in the back seat. Oh, the memories.

1716987047065.png

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I started out building an elaborate structure. Then after multiple iterations of raccoon/opossum/skunk/weasel/hawk raids, I opted for a simple plywood box with automatic door surrounded by two layers of fencing for the yard. Some chickens live in the goat yard which keeps parasites down and the goats mostly protect those chickens.

Chicken housing is easy. They can roost in anything, they don’t care. It’s protecting them from predators that’s hard.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    A small farmer down the road from us uses an old school bus and drags it around to different areas of his pasture with his tractor.

Top Bottom