Chicago women buying more handguns (????)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Video: First, I would not have guessed the person is a woman...

Number Of Women Buying Handguns Increasing - cbs2chicago.com

But, handguns? We're talking CHICAGO!????

Did I wake up in the twilight zone?

Dangerous on the street? Well, that's all good and all, but HOW are they going to carry them?

Local gun shop owners say they're seeing an increase in the number of women shoppers right now. The reasons, they say, are many, including the downturn in the economy and violence on the street.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, about 48 percent of people taking their first handgun seminars this year happen to be women. CBS 2's Pamela Jones reports on the growing trend.

"It's very dangerous out there. I mean, there's people getting robbed here and there," said Josie Santiago. "It's just for protection."

Santiago says she's always thinking about the danger lurking on the streets of the Chicago area. It's a big reason why she visited Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park.

Not only did she shop for a new weapon, but she also wanted to find out about taking firearms training from the pros.

"It's better that you know how to use it," Santiago said. "You know, take the class, take the course, protect yourself."

And she's not alone. A National Shooting Sports Foundation survey found that the top two reasons women seek firearms training are for personal protection and target practice.

At Illinois Gun Works, the owners say they've seen a 40 percent increase recently in the numbers of women looking to take classes, and that the number of women coming in to purchase guns is rising, too.

"A lot more. We purchased this business seven years ago, and I've noticed the increase," said Debbie Mastrianni.

"It's not so much because they're scared. I think they just want to learn about it," said Don Mastrianni.

Josie Santiago says the lessons in personal security are something she wants to pass on to other women in her family, but she wants them to learn the responsibility of being behind the trigger as well.

"If it's in the wrong hands, you know, a lot of damage can be done," Santiago said.

Santiago is taking her interest in public safety a step further now. She's going for a degree in criminal justice and eventually would like to become a police officer.

Both Illinois Gun Works and the National Shooting Sports Foundation offer classes for first-timers.

For more information, click the links below.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    I thought handguns are banned and Chicago and some of the suburbs/towns around Chicago?

Regardless, this is good news as it shows there are still brave people left behind enemy lines. :patriot:

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    Only Chicago and Oak Park have full handgun bans.
    Any other suburbs or IL towns allow handgun ownership, but not OC or CC.

But, I'm not sure if there is anything to legally stop a Chicago resident from driving to the suburbs to purchase a handgun. I'm assuming that it would be technically legal for a Chicago resident to own a handgun as long as they only use and store it outside of the city limits. :dunno:

BUT, keep in mind that Chicago residents can purchase and keep rifles and shotguns. Almost everyone I know in the city at least has a home shotgun. Of course, many also CC pistols despite the ban. My experience indicates that most reasonable Chicago PD know this and don't have a huge problem with it, although it's obviously a HUGE risk.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Only Chicago and Oak Park have full handgun bans

No, Chicago has had a handgun freeze since '83. Oak Park, Morton Grove, etc. have had handgun bans, several of which were repealed after Heller. It is possible to legally own a pistol in Chicago. I know several people who do.

But, handguns? We're talking CHICAGO!????

When Chicagoans say "Chicago" they mean Chicagoland which encompasses 10 million people from Libertyville into Indiana.

I witnessed this when I lived in Chicago. People would ask me where I was from. I would tell them "westside of Indianapolis." They would respond "well, I live in Chicago".

"Really, I live there now. Where in Chicago?"

"Buffalo Grove."

As well, remember, Illinois is Indiana with an enormous, corrupt urban area that dominates all of life. Most of Illinois is extremely well armed.

Heck, even Chicagoans buy handguns, out of state like Mayor Daley and Oprah or from outside Cook County (you just can't bring them legally into the city).

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    No, Chicago has had a handgun freeze since '83. Oak Park, Morton Grove, etc. have had handgun bans, several of which were repealed after Heller. It is possible to legally own a pistol in Chicago. I know several people who do.

Thank you for the correction.

When Chicagoans say "Chicago" they mean Chicagoland which encompasses 10 million people from Libertyville into Indiana.
    I witnessed this when I lived in Chicago. People would ask me where I was from. I would tell them "westside of Indianapolis." They would respond "well, I live in Chicago".
    "Buffalo Grove."

Absolutely correct. I was born on the southwest side of the city, near Midway. But, my folks moved out to the burbs when I was young. Still, I'm from Chicago. The whole area, including NW INdiana, is so similar in so many ways that it only makes sense. Some say "Chicagoland" to refer to the whole region. We also often differentiate Chicago from Chicagoland by referring to Chicago proper as "the City".

Unlike the overall negative attitude on this board, I love Chicago. But, I also can't wait until the Supreme Court takes care of their business there, and look forward to the ripple effects of their pro 2A decision (e.g., CC eventually coming to IL and WI).
    :patriot:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Isn't it amazing at how these 'gun free' zones are the WORST places to live on the PLANET? I am simply amazed at the lack of logic used to promote these laws....

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I was a young whippersnapper we lived in Joliet.
    I always wanted to go back and see my old house and wondered how much it has changed.
    I remember taking trips into chicago not really thinking it was scary at all, maybe just a little dirty.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Since the subjects of the state of illinois are saddled with a "firearms owner ID" card, it seems like it would be simple for daley & co. to get that info updated and do random sweeps of the city. If I had to live there and was going to cc, I'd plan on owning my pistol "illegally".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009

"Buffalo Grove."

As well, remember, Illinois is Indiana with an enormous, corrupt urban area that dominates all of life. Most of Illinois is extremely well armed.

Heck, even Chicagoans buy handguns, out of state like Mayor Daley and Oprah or from outside Cook County (you just can't bring them legally into the city).

:laugh: I just want to say that true residents of Chicago dont consider the burbs part of the city. As to what you referenced the individual that stated they were from chicago and once asked where in the city they replied BG, that is a suburban thing. Only the people from the burbs do that. And honestly it drives most true Chicago residents nuts.

As far as you comment on Daley buying guns outside the state try again. He has his own police unit 24 hours a day guarding him and his house no need for the gun since most of his officers would love to arrest him for it in the first place just to get him out of office

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We own a book store in Chicago and three of my family members have CC permits. I'm not sure who my brother paid off, but...

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Since the subjects of the state of illinois are saddled with a "firearms owner ID" card, it seems like it would be simple for daley & co. to get that info updated and do random sweeps of the city. If I had to live there and was going to cc, I'd plan on owning my pistol "illegally".

Th FOID card also covers rifles and shotguns. As rifles and shotguns are legal in Chicago (as long as they are registered) the city would have to take the FOID database, and cross it with the registered long gun database and then make a determination as to who has a FOID card but does not have a registered long gun. I lived in Chicago for 7 years, and have worked there for the last 23, and i can tell you that would never happen. Also, just because you apply for, and are granted a FOID card, doesn't mean you own a firearm, it merely allows you purchase one if you wish, and can pass the mandated background check.

Top Bottom