• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Chicago knife (2.5" or less) suggestions?

I visit Chicago often due to family and I am in need of a new 'Chicago' knife. I currently carry a SOG Flash I when visiting the wonderful place, but the thumb stud gets caught on my pocket, and its just slow to deploy for my big hands.

So I ask, what is a good, slim, fast deploying blade under 2.5" with a pocket clip?

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My favorite small knife is my Emerson La Griffe. Wicked little blade, and not too expensive considering it's from Emerson. As far as folders, the spyderco bugs are pretty sweet.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    this is where a knife modification can be a GOOD thing... i think that a waved spyderco delica, ground down to the legal limit, would be IDEAL. small knives tend to be very hard to open. the exception is the small assisted knives from Kershaw. i don't know if the assisted knives are legal in chicago.

i would buy a waved delica (plain edge) and have it ground to the legal limit.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Straight from the City of Chicago ordinance for "dangerous weapons"

No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a or dagger, dirk, stiletto, bowie knife, commando knife, any blade of which is released by a spring mechanism, including knives known as “switch-blades” or any other type or kind of knife, any blade of which is more than two and one-half inches in length, ordinary razor or other dangerous weapon except that no person 18 years of age or under shall carry concealed on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer. Provided, however, that this provision shall not apply to the following officers while engaged in the discharge of their official duties: sheriffs, coroners, constables, policemen or other duly constituted police officers and wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crime; nor to the following employees or agents while engaged in the discharge of the duties of their employment: conductors, baggagemen, messengers, drivers, watchmen, special agents and policemen employed by railroads or express companies; nor to persons lawfully summoned by an officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while so engaged in assisting such officer.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Unfortunately, in Chicago, they would probably consider ANY fixed blade a dagger or "commando knife", and an assisted open would be claimed to have a "spring mechanism".

I sure wish the Izula was under 2.5"...

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    How about the Spyderco Chicago... S30V and Carbon Fiber. Lots to like.

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Thanks. I have looked at that, but I three issues with it.
    1. Obviously, Spyderco did not look up the Chicago ordinances when naming the knife or writing the description. Chicago limit is 2.5", not 2"
    2. Made in Tiawan of lesser steel than the Seki City Spydercos (Endura, Delica, etc)
    3. I read that the clip is flimsy on that as well. Someone on another forum compared it to a bent paperclip.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I didn't realize it was one of the Tiawan modles... That pretty much sums it up there.

I figgured they went with the 2 inches to be very obvious when looking at the blade it met the criteria. But of course that would give you less cuttting area too.

I had a wire clip on a SOG??? At on point in time that I actualy kind of liked. That dosn't mean that the one on the Spyderco is any good.

O-well... Good luck on your search

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I like the snubby from emerson it is listed as 2.7 in so as cubby stated the regrind might be required to meet the letter of the law. It offers the wave feature and a full size grip. Just an idea.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Question about regrinding..

Would you start grinding head on with the blade and make rough reshaping first (grinding wheel perpendicular to cutting surface), or slowly eat away the extra material with normal sharpening methods?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    you would start by getting the blade ground down to the legal limit, by pretty much pushing the tip into the grinder... not too hard, because you can't get it too hot or you will screw up the heat treat.

there are two ways to finish it out:

you can just resharpen it. that will leave the tip thicker, making the tip STRONGER than before. the belly will be the same thickness, but the tip less sharp.

you can regrind the bevels too. making the tip thinner, and more of a cutter.

the best part about this whole thing is: you can pretty much pick your new blade shape.... drop point, tanto, reverse tanto... all you are limitied by is where the tip will sit in the frame, because the tip cannot stick out, for safety reasons.

Top Bottom