• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I can imagine some little ol'gramma hitting the buyback booth with all of her late husband's collection of rare and obscure antique firearms that he brought back from ww2. Where do those guns disappear to afterwards?... hmm

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can imagine some little ol'gramma hitting the buyback booth with all of her late husband's collection of rare and obscure antique firearms that he brought back from ww2. Where do those guns disappear to afterwards?... hmm

They're supposed to go into a furnace. Where I work takes in a lot of guns to be melted.
    But I'm sure a few of the nicer ones make there way out.
    After all, Chicago found a bunch of guns they were recovering, were logged into a Chicago evidence room.
    Someone was selling guns out of the evidence room.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    They're supposed to go into a furnace. Where I work takes in a lot of guns to be melted.
    But I'm sure a few of the nicer ones make there way out.
    After all, Chicago found a bunch of guns they were recovering, were logged into a Chicago evidence room.
    Someone was selling guns out of the evidence room.

Unfortunately this does not surprise me, Chicago is incredibly corrupt. I'm not surprised at all that someone would take guns from the evidence room and sell them at a buy back.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I suppose going over to try to buy some of the better ones before they get to the official table would be too dangerous over there. They would probably have some reason to arrest you and if not simply curb stomp you.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I suppose going over to try to buy some of the better ones before they get to the official table would be too dangerous over there. They would probably have some reason to arrest you and if not simply curb stomp you.

That's what I was thinking...gun show in the street! But, Chicago, so no.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Happened in [STRIKE]Boston [/STRIKE]during a buy back. The family of a deceased vet took in a gun for the $50 walmart gift card, something he brought back from Germany,...a StG-44. :ugh: To their benefit the police refused to take it and told them to go to a local dealer/collector/museum instead. IIRC correctly, they ended up with $20k instead.

Edit: See corrected version below...

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Happened in Boston during a buy back. The family of a deceased vet took in a gun for the $50 walmart gift card, something he brought back from Germany,...a StG-44. :ugh: To their benefit the police refused to take it and told them to go to a local dealer/collector/museum instead. IIRC correctly, they ended up with $20k instead.

I think that happened in Hartford, Conn. The story makes the rounds on gun boards, sometimes saying in happened in CA. Could be more than one time, though unlikely. Here's an article with pic. Looked like it was in pretty good shape, too. Not Another New England Sports Blog!: Rare WWII Automatic Rifle Turned In At Connecticut Buyback

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So if I was to be bringing a firearm to the Chicago buy-back, and got stopped by their local constabulary, and they saw my firearm, would the excuse that I was going to the buy-back be good enough to make them say "ok". Somehow I doubt it.

Nope, if I lived in Chicago I would be so afraid that the idea of taking a firearm out of the security of my home and risking driving it to the free the gun zone would be a no-go.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not that Chicago cares about the law, but I do wonder about the legality of this. How many of the guns they receive are stolen property, and of those, how many are returned to their rightful owners? If I had a gun stolen and that gun was later turned in on a gun buy back program, I would fully expect to get it back from the police. If they kept it and melted it, I would see that as being no different than one felon selling my stolen gun to another felon to be used to further their agenda.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I wish Indy would do another one.
    I've got some old Raven 25acp's I'd love to trade for $50 Wal-mart gift cards.
    Then spend the gift cards on ammo.

Top Bottom