• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I can't think of a rifle/carbine class where you would need a chest rig. A lot of people wear and get good use from them. In some cases the class lineup is comical when you look at all of the gear. But needed? I don't think so.

Your actual reloads should be from your belt. The best way to use a chest rig and similar gear is to replenish the pouch or two you have on your belt that you use for actually reloading the rifle. There are a variety of ways to carry multiple mags in a class to feed your belt pouches, including something as simple as a dump pouch, also mounted on your belt.

I've heard that from several people. Thanks for the inside. I guess I shouldn't have passed on the HTC sale.

Slovpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've heard that from several people. Thanks for the inside. I guess I shouldn't have passed on the HTC sale.

You dont have to get the HTC belt... that honestly seems cumbersome. I would suggest a minimalist belt such as the Crye MRB or Ronin Tactics Task Force belt. Tons of SF guys and guys in my unit run them over here. You dont need a chest rig, but they do help and it doesnt hurt to have one. At the end of the day its your money and what you feel works best for you, but keep in mind you will probably buy and sell gear in order to get your kit the way you want, and then change it some even more after further testing. Thats just the nature of the beast.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

For what it's worth, when I do carbine stuff, whether it's a class or a 3-gun match, I just a couple of AR mag pouches to my every day belt (currently a Daltech BioBelt). Of course, I have more on my belt every day than most people would even consider putting on a "battle belt." And I also have a bit more belt real estate than most. And I wear suspenders.

Also, I forgot to say why your primary reload should be from the belt: because it's faster. For everyone. By far. Even if you see someone who can reload quickly from a chest rig, that same person can probably do it significantly faster from a pouch on his belt. Most chest rigs favor security of your gear over ease of access, and for good reason. They work great if you need to carry a lot of mags, but the belt pouch will always be better for actually feeding your starving rifle.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Save your money, the HTC rig is nice, but very unforgiving with movement. I’m looking into the SOC-C from Blue Force Gear as the basis for my new battle belt.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Good to know on the belts! Thanks guys, I've got some new stuff to look in to.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Your actual reloads should be from your belt. The best way to use a chest rig and similar gear is to replenish the pouch or two you have on your belt that you use for actually reloading the rifle. There are a variety of ways to carry multiple mags in a class to feed your belt pouches, including something as simple as a dump pouch, also mounted on your belt.

Thats what i train to do with the 2 glock mags on my chest rig. I have it pounded in my head to go for my belt for a pistol reload trying to reload from the chest would eff me all up. since i cant run a rifle mag on my belt all rifle reloads are from the chest rig.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Just to muddy the water, because chest rigs are as subjective as IWB holsters. "Mission drives the gear."

SKD Tactical: Chest Rig Universal, Eagle, PIG, Esstac, Chest Rig for AR15, M4, AK47 ::SKD TACTICAL

-Chest Rigs

I'm also a proponent of the chest rig + a "battle belt" system, and I think this is a result of being in the infantry in the mid 1980's... I learned a system back then that I still use to base my decisions on. My belts are really more of an old school, first line LBE with my chest rig(s) supplementing them. I have an older Esstac split front Boar that they appear to have stopped making, it has a 3L camelback carrier built in and I have the insert to carry either six 5.56 or 308 mags and PALS to mount other pouches (usually an admin). I have a Tactical Tailor split front MAV that's dedicated to AK's. My belt/LBE carries (more) water, IFAK, flashlight, leatherman an assorted 11B type things.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just to muddy the water, because chest rigs are as subjective as IWB holsters. "Mission drives the gear."

SKD Tactical: Chest Rig Universal, Eagle, PIG, Esstac, Chest Rig for AR15, M4, AK47 ::SKD TACTICAL

-Chest Rigs

I'm also a proponent of the chest rig + a "battle belt" system, and I think this is a result of being in the infantry in the mid 1980's... I learned a system back then that I still use to base my decisions on. My belts are really more of an old school, first line LBE with my chest rig(s) supplementing them. I have an older Esstac split front Boar that they appear to have stopped making, it has a 3L camelback carrier built in and I have the insert to carry either six 5.56 or 308 mags and PALS to mount other pouches (usually an admin). I have a Tactical Tailor split front MAV that's dedicated to AK's. My belt/LBE carries (more) water, IFAK, flashlight, leatherman an assorted 11B type things.
    Well crap, goin’ old school, the best chest rig EVAH was the HSGI Weesatch, or Woosatch for the bigger dudes. Ability to run 8 M4 mags, plates or no plates, and hydration. Along with admin pouch, map pouch, etc. also able to be worn with a battle belt. Why they discontinued it is beyond me, because nothing they make today compares. I really miss my Wee.:(

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    I recommend you check out the YouTube channel of Garand Thumb. Specifically the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEUt9cS3eL0. Of the three rigs you mention he only covers the Haley Strategic; but gives good advice on general selection and shows how certain types of magazines and other common types of gear do [and sometimes do not] fit in the products of the different manufacturers. Bottom line/quick takeaway: either take your mags and accessories to a shop where you can test fit them or pick an online vendor with a good return policy before ordering.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Personally, I have an ATS Aegis 2. It works well and is good quality. I'll probably be buying another at some point. As for a chest harness, the ATS Slimline mounts right up to it.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I've run a Mayflower Pusher rig through a dozen classes or so. Excellent setup, still looks brand new. I have a ton of nylon from Tyr, First Spear, TT, BFG, HSGI, SOE, Paraclete, Eagle (when they were made here), SKD, Esstac, and a few others. The Mayflower rig is one of my favorites.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom