• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I'm getting ready to put a Burris Red Dot on my Remmy 870 & am pretty sure I'm gonna need a cheek pad/riser. Has anyone used a good one that doesn't slide around or move after it's installed. Everything I've seen so far looks not so good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you go with a saddle mount instead of a drilled and tapped receiver, even a factory "high comb" style butt-stock probably won't be high enough (same for if using cantilever bbl).

You could try one of these (have riser blocks)
    https://store.magpul.com/category/shotgun

But I wonder how the recoil pads on them are. I used a Magpul CTR with the .50" pad on a TC Carbine (Choate grip adapter) and the pad had minimal recoil effect.

There are some stick on types, so sticky as to be considered "permantent", there are also strap on and screw ons................both found here
    Rifle Scope Accessories - Sun shades, flip open lens covers, scope levels, cheek rests, and other riflescope gadgets.

I have not used any of them, always went D&T and kept my scopes low, or on rifle stocks of synthetic type, made Kydex cheekpieces (usually attached by screws).

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I ended up using Blackhawk IVS. Doesn't slide around as long as you get the Velcro straps tight. Adjustable but can be tedious. Pretty sure they make a model without the rifle ammo retainers. While it's not great, it appeared to be the best for what I could find. (I cut a. 1" ID piece of heater hose, split it in half, and then wrapped in black duct tape. It raises my cheek rest 5/16"'and makes it much more user friendly.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Velcro and Kydex here, stays put on the .35 Rem. Lots of drop (stock designed for iron sights), I had to do something tall at the back, but wanted cleaner lines, so just made one myself. There is some give on thinner material, so would go .090" at the thinnest.
    If one had a crappy old birch stock they could fashion a Kydex riser and just screw it on. Two screws on one side gives a clean look but might let the pad flex under recoil. Might not be a bad thing. One varmint rifles that's my prefered method of attachment, synthetic stocks get Chicago screws. That'd be nice on a wood stock too, of one would do brass inserts. Curves of the stock/pad being different...........putting attachment on a line of same height............to do a nice job it takes a little mockup/practice.

I'd suggest a beater birch stock for testing. I used a Rem high comb for getting my initial shaping (for a few prev stocks). This one I just folded it by hand. You do a dozen the other way, you probably don't need a form after that ;)

S4yNKqs.jpg

The shotgunner wedge looked interesting but wasn't tall enough for my app..........
    GOD'A GRIP Web Store: Shotgunner's Wedge Super Soft Cheek Pad

Last edited:
    Top Bottom