• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Very clever, what all do you have in your little kit?

I wish I'd have taken a picture because I always forget, LOL. It's been long enough that I can't say exactly. According to a list I have, there's a bic, some matches, organic rope that I cut into 2" lengths then saturated with vasoline (lights in any weather), and some tissues/tinder. I need to open it up and double check it, because I was thinking there was also a fire steel in it too, but that's not on the list.

I wish I could say it was a clever idea, but it was more just dumb luck that happens to be working out for me. Then again I could open up this kit and find a lighter where the gas leaked off just like the one in my knife pouch.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I wish I'd have taken a picture because I always forget, LOL. It's been long enough that I can't say exactly. According to a list I have, there's a bic, some matches, organic rope that I cut into 2" lengths then saturated with vasoline (lights in any weather), and some tissues/tinder. I need to open it up and double check it, because I was thinking there was also a fire steel in it too, but that's not on the list.

I wish I could say it was a clever idea, but it was more just dumb luck that happens to be working out for me. Then again I could open up this kit and find a lighter where the gas leaked off just like the one in my knife pouch.

Very nice, when i finish off this tin of altoids in my jeep i may have to steal your idea. :D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I guess I haven't looked at disposable lighter in a while; do they no longer have the little "safety" button you have to push in before you can depress the gas valve? I keep one of the little devices with a magnesium bar on one side and a flint strip on the other. Just a little sliver of the magnesium will start a fire in almost any conditions I've tried.

Some lighter do have those safeties, and you could also adjust the flame hieght in those too. The bics just have that little rolled metal peice over the wheel that some people with a disgust for government regulations like to pop off with a thin screwdriver.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Very nice, when i finish off this tin of altoids in my jeep i may have to steal your idea. :D

I wish it was my idea, but Altoid tin kits have been around for a while. When I made these I was eating altoids all the time just for the tins. I use the red tins for fire starting and blue or green tins for fishing. Once I'm happy with the tin I label it with a sharpie and then give it a couple wraps with duct tape to make sure it doesn't spill open.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I put a couple of the smaller Bic lighters in an empty RX bottle. The bottle will hold two lighters, keeps them safe and dry. Plus, it is easier to locate in the dark.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    True. You need a fire transportation device made from animal bones and skin.

Just don't fall in a pond while carrying it....... it tends to P.O. the clan.

Quest4fire4.jpg

AGREED! THESE GUYS ARE THE EXPERTS!!:D
    iQF.jpg

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    You can get peanut lighters (cheap ones from China or expensive ones from CountyComm) that are relatively small capsules with a screw top and a gasket. You fill them with fuel like a Zippo, but the screw top will keep them from going dry for several months at least. A butane lighter will still last for longer under ideal circumstances, but you can't fill a butane lighter with just about any liquid that burns, whereas you can with a Zippo style or peanut style lighter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have put 4 different ways to start a fire in the BOB and bics are only one. They are in a vitamin bottle so they can not get jostled. Same with the wind/rain proof matches. I look, I read, I understand. So many really good ideas in these threads...(and some stinkers)

Chance favors the prepared mind.............Or something like that...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carry a Bic Mini in my jacket pocket, for over a year now, it's still full.
    I have another one in my FAK, still works fine.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have put 4 different ways to start a fire in the BOB and bics are only one. They are in a vitamin bottle so they can not get jostled. Same with the wind/rain proof matches. I look, I read, I understand. So many really good ideas in these threads...(and some stinkers)

Chance favors the prepared mind.............Or something like that...

I like the idea of multiple fire sources and I do that in my EDC bag and BOB. Also have Bics all over, usually in pairs. sometimes they just quit for whatever reason. I've had them stop sparking right out of the package before.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    How ironic if he loses his knife and is freezing to death, his hands are frozen and he has to now attempt to eat his way through the zip tie to get the bic to operate. Probably destroy the bic long before he makes it work. There is even a chance you will bust the bic while removing that zip tie with tools.

So then they find his dead frozen body with a disabled bic lighter frozen in his mouth, between his lips. In general disabling your gear is not a great idea. I put zip ties on some of mine but in a different manner.

Duct tape a zip tie to the bic that has a hole for a screw mount. Run paracord or other lanyard through the hole, put a whistle next to it.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I keep mine stored in a water tight box with everything else used for starting a fire. With the lid closed everything stays in place and both lighters still seem to be retaining their fluid.

DSC01015.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I keep mine stored in a water tight box with everything else used for starting a fire. With the lid closed everything stays in place and both lighters still seem to be retaining their fluid.

DSC01015.jpg

Nice kit. I have some of the fire starter sticks like in your kit. They do work.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    As an ex-smoker I can tell you with confidence that the button did not get pushed. When lighters get really cold the gasket? Or something shrinks and all the fuel leaks out. Can't keep a bic lighter in the heat or cold for too long. Butane or matches are the way to go for extreme temps.

Top Bottom