• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I would love to add one of these to my collection. I already have an M1 Garand and an M39 Swedish Mosin Nagant from 1944. Love some historical weapons, even replicas.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    are these recovered drill rifles too?
    Yes, the receivers are.

I know there's a big controversy about using the drill rifles for builds, but in all honesty I believe it's a bunch of hoopla.

The owner of Gibbs (son of the owner of Navy Arms) is a respected gunsmith in the community with a long history of building quality firearms. He responded to the concerns expressed by some on the net about this issue.

http://www.militaryarmschannel.com/transfer/val_message.pdf

In short, the 1903's had the barrels tacked on with a small spot weld and then magazine cut-off levered tacked as well. These welds were removed in the creation of these rifles. The receivers have been tested and meet or exceed military specs for Rockwell hardness and no issues have ever been reported to Gibbs. His rifles are in demand because they win the retro sniper rifle matches.

From what I can see in my example, the attention to detail and the quality of the build is nothing short of superb.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Yes, the receivers are.

I know there's a big controversy about using the drill rifles for builds, but in all honesty I believe it's a bunch of hoopla.

The owner of Gibbs (son of the owner of Navy Arms) is a respected gunsmith in the community with a long history of building quality firearms. He responded to the concerns expressed by some on the net about this issue.

http://www.militaryarmschannel.com/transfer/val_message.pdf

In short, the 1903's had the barrels tacked on with a small spot weld and then magazine cut-off levered tacked as well. These welds were removed in the creation of these rifles. The receivers have been tested and meet or exceed military specs for Rockwell hardness and no issues have ever been reported to Gibbs. His rifles are in demand because they win the retro sniper rifle matches.

From what I can see in my example, the attention to detail and the quality of the build is nothing short of superb.

I would shoot a recovered Gibbs A3 all day, my biggest isssue with these types of rifles is the disclosure that they were as such. AIM had the refurbished plain jane A3's for 800, and i would be very upset to find out later it was recovered

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    scope and rings

The early scope I had from them was very nice in my opinion. The scope was marked with the gibbs name and the designation M73G1, for Gibbs of course. The rings were also marked with the Gibbs name, so it would be hard to produce a fake from these, but possible.

I sold the G1 scope to a guy wanting it to send in for a newer model. If you watch the auctions and boards, these pop up every once in a while for $100-$150 for the G1 model. They have a good trade in policy to upgrade to a improved scope.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well you guys cost me some money

Well I had been wanting to see Whittaker guns down in Owensboro Ky for a while. On their online inventory they had a rifle that I was looking at. Well when I go there it was gone..

Guess I should have called first .. Anyhoo

The place was wonderful, Large selection, a Nice range of guns.. Damn fine prices..

They did have a fair number of GIBBS 1903s and a sniper rifle.. Well it was real nice.. and could not go home empty handed so I did pick one up.. :dunno:

The only Minor Negative, is the guns Barrel was pretty dirty and the firing pin was a bit sluggish.. Usually I have no discipline and have to stop by the range and shoot a new gun on the way home, This time I decided it need a good cleaning first.

Now after the cleaning the barrel is bright and the trigger pull is very crisp..

Will have to test it Monday.. I guess I should thank you guys for planting the seed.. And cost me the extra money...

2vv46mr.jpg

20a99vr.jpg

13zbc5h.jpg

ev9pif.jpg

Top Bottom