• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'm looking for a cheap, simple, and effective deer gun. I don't need to take down moose or bear.

Does a scoped Mosin Nagent work well? Is it worth the trouble?

If not, should I look at .308 or .30-30? Would a scout rifle be a better all-around rifle?

Any info from those who have hunted with a Mosin Nagent and other rifles would be helpful.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if your looking for a indiana deer gun a hr would be about the cheapest ive heard of. a 870 or 500 would be a little extra but better

if its a out of state deer gun and you wanted to use a mosin id just shot it irons.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    Where are you planning to hunt? How long of a shot are you wanting to take? The .308win and .30-.30 have killed plenty of deer. They also have killed many bear, elk and moose. I'm not very familiar with the mosin, but I would assume that it could cleanly take a deer.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just get a single shot 12g/20g shotgun with a rifled barrel, muzzle loader, or .44/.357 single shot rifle. Any of these can be had for less than $200.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Where are you planning to hunt? How long of a shot are you wanting to take? The .308win and .30-.30 have killed plenty of deer. They also have killed many bear, elk and moose. I'm not very familiar with the mosin, but I would assume that it could cleanly take a deer.

the mosin is a 7.62x54r. it will take a deer. ive seen alot of people dump alot of money into them just to get 1.5-2moa. to me upgrading a mosin is like putting nitrous oxide on a scotter

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    This would primarily be Kentucky, where my family lives. I'm stepping up into new territory.

My wife also wants me to have a SHTF rifle that has decent range. How could I say no?

I like the Mosin because they are cheap and everywhere. I like the Scout because Jeff Cooper does... (need I say anything more?)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    None of the few stock Mosins I have tried where accurate enough for me to trust over 100-150yds (they where 4-6moa shooters.) Fun to shoot, but not what I would want in rifle country.

If you want to keep the cost down but get 300yd range, I would look single shot or a basic Savage rifle. On the other hand, a shotgun like the 500s or 870s mentioned above, can make a solid SHTF close-range gun.

As for the scouts, most of the factory built ones I know of are anything but "cheap." As it is, 2 of my 3 "scouts" are normal rifles with aftermarket scout rails installed (XS rail on the 1895 and Ultimak on the mini-30.) Add to that the relatively high price of LER scout scopes and the reduced field-of-view for a given magnification and I think most shooters would be happier with a standard 1-? scope or holographic/dot.

If you have the money for a scout, maybe a built-up AR in 6.8 or a PSL would fit your needs better.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If the Mosin can't hit 300yd, that doesn't seem worth it.

I have close-range covered. I have an AK and dad (who lives a few miles away) has the M-1 carbine and several shotguns. None of us have a long range rifle. Dad wants to take us hunting where he grew up in KY.

I do appreciate all the information coming. I grew up in California raising/slaughtering pig, goats, and the occasional steer. The largest thing we hunted were coyotes trying to kill our animals.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Many Many Options.

Go look at Gunbroker. Search Boltaction rifles. Specify a caliber.

.308/.30-06 will kill anything on the continent and some stuff thats here that ain't native. (Think Texas exotic ranches). Remington 700 pencil bbl with composite stock can be had around $400-500. Savage Axis model is less money and prolly about as accurate. T/C Encore could be had in about any caliber that suits your fancy and with extra bbls could do double or triple duty including Turkey shotgun but will run closer to $700 for a good used one.

DPMS AR10 in .308 will run closer to $1100 but you'd be SHTF ready after you saved up for that one.

I haven't even scratched the surface of what's available. Part of the fun is finding one that you think is worth savin' up for!:rockwoot:

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    If your wanting to go out to 300 yards, I would say the .308 or 30-06 or even .270. Look into the Savage's. They are real shooters right from the first shot!

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    For Indiana H&R .357 singel shot. Buffalo Bore has some ammo that out proformes the 30/30 in the long rifle barrel

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    He said he was hunting KY guys. Your budget sounds like it is pretty tight. You could look for a Stevens on the used market; they are a little cheaper than the 11/111's. I really wouldn't worry about what it is chambered in too much, I'd take anything .243; what ever you find at the best price. You are going to need some $$$ for glass as well.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If the Mosin can't hit 300yd, that doesn't seem worth it..
    I hate Mosins...

That being said, A Mosin can hit at 300 yards pretty easily. If you don't mind it landing somewhere in a pie plate...

More accuracy than that out of a Mosin and it gets very expensive...

Also Scout style rifles are VERY difficult to shoot well. it takes lots of practice with that configuration to become a decent shot with the scope pushed that far forward... :popcorn:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Thanks for the advice. The more I research a scout or something similar, the more I dislike the price. I'm not shoestring budget but I'm not going to spend $800+ for a rifle I'd use once a year. Even for the cheapeast, I could pick up a 500 with accessories and a Mosin plus lots of ammo.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Just an update after trip to Bradis. I couldn't resist and got my Mosin. My wife selected a Remington 870 20 ga since she'll be using it for HD too. I even ran into Que while there.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have an INterarms 308 w. a Nikon Scope I purchased for hunting in PA. It is clean, low round count and very accurate, we might talk as I'm looking for a pistol caliber Carbine for hunting in Indiana.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom