• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Anyone know of one? I'm not looking for the highest quality, just something that is pretty good for the money. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be the best at holding an edge, but I don't want it breaking in my hand as I'm using it, either. I'll have a sharpener with me.

Thanks!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I will second the Izula. Cape, gut, skin, butcher, survival, self defense, easily concealed if need be (since you didn't give us a clue of the use). GREAT knife for the money.

Dirty Steve

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    there is an old schrade uncle henry in the knives for sale ads that i think is a good deal and a very good old knife for the money. i would buy it but my wife said the 1000 + knives i already have is enough.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Are you using it on your safari? Which chores will it need to do?

I'm taking it, yes, but there are no chores. I actually want to purchase several. I've been told there's no real need for it, but anytime I go out in the bush, I want to have at least something. There's two reasons I want them to be cheap. First, getting luggage stolen there is a fair probability. I'm not putting something expensive in my check-in bags. Secondly, I intend to leave them with the hunting guides. It was recommended to give them something like this because they have a hard time getting knives and such.

I found a couple nice looking SOG folders for 11 bucks for a 2.5" and 17 bucks for a 3.5". Unless someone shows something better, I'll probably pick up a few of those. For me, I want a fixed blade. Again, though, I'll be leaving it behind when I come home.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My favorite cheap knife in my stable is my Cold Steel G.I. Tanto. Nothing fancy, pull the plastic scales off and wrap the handle with paracord, and enjoy a heavy, cheap knife. If you ever break it, just toss it and buy another.

Amazon.com: Cold Steel GI Tanto Knife with Secure-Ex Sheath: Sports & Outdoors

That is pretty sweet! Thanks for all the feedback! You guys have fixed me up pretty good here! I'm liking that GI Tanto idea, and I've got plenty of para cord laying around.

What kind of knot do you use to tie the cord off?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm taking it, yes, but there are no chores. I actually want to purchase several. I've been told there's no real need for it, but anytime I go out in the bush, I want to have at least something. There's two reasons I want them to be cheap. First, getting luggage stolen there is a fair probability. I'm not putting something expensive in my check-in bags. Secondly, I intend to leave them with the hunting guides. It was recommended to give them something like this because they have a hard time getting knives and such.

I found a couple nice looking SOG folders for 11 bucks for a 2.5" and 17 bucks for a 3.5". Unless someone shows something better, I'll probably pick up a few of those. For me, I want a fixed blade. Again, though, I'll be leaving it behind when I come home.

For the money, you really can't beat a Mora. You could get a clipper and the 6" both for less than $30 if you're looking for a couple.

Top Bottom