• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have heard they are ok handguns, there is a guy on youtube who goes by the name of Rugersix, and he has a video of a charter arms hammerless being compared to his Smith&Wesson hammerless. Obviously not equal qaulity but he tends to think it's just as good in terms of functionality as the SW.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In the case of Charter.... It all depends on how old it is.

If it's an older charter, from the first iteration of the company, it's a good one.

If it's "middle aged", or from the next few go-rounds of the company, QA/QC REALLY suffered. I'd pass on those.

Or, if it's fairly new (last few years to being brand new), should be OK.

Reason being, they've been bought/sold a few times. Quality changed under each owner. Some good...some bad...back to good.

Unfortunately, I personally don't know which are the names to stay away from. (Each owner changed the name slightly)

-J-

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The old ones were great functional revolvers, perfect for carry or tacklebox guns. Back when you could always count on several being available at the MCSD auction for 50-60 dollars each.:)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have one from the late '70s and its never given me any problems. I recently replaced the original small wood grips with a set of rubber combat grips from Charter and now it feels better in the hand than most revolvers I've held.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN

If it's an older charter, from the first iteration of the company, it's a good one.

If it's "middle aged", or from the next few go-rounds of the company, QA/QC REALLY suffered. I'd pass on those.

Reason being, they've been bought/sold a few times. Quality changed under each owner. Some good...some bad...back to good.

Unfortunately, I personally don't know which are the names to stay away from. (Each owner changed the name slightly)

-J-

+1

The old ones are the ones you want! And the fairly recent ones are not to shabby either.

I have shot my fathers many time and he bought it back in the 70's. The one I have is a Off-duty 5-shot(circa 2000) and I have never had an issue with it. I mistreat it bad but am never worried about it not working. It even throws some darn nice groups for a DAO snubbie. I only give $300 for mine new and was skeptical, but just wanted something to toss in my back pocket and in the door console of the truck, something that was going to be severely neglected, and am glad I bought it instead of spending the extra on a S&W.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

-J-

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!!! :rockwoot: :yesway:

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    Had one 5 yrs ago. Good if you're within 10 ft. of target. If seller will let you, shoot it first. Frame reminded me of pot metal.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom