• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you can reach for a gun then you can put the car into drive. Put your left arm up to shield your face, duck down to the right and drive away. Everybody lives.

^ Exactly. It takes as much, if not more effort to draw a gun while seated and strapped in. I've taken the Suarez class on vehicle gunfighting two weeks ago and it was a real eye opener in many aspects. Personally, I can't see how his use of force could be justified. If he had a weapon, no questions asked. If he was in a secluded area and was getting his head stomped in, no questions asked. One shot fired center of mass vs unloading on him? It just doesn't add up to me :twocents:

I didn't read the whole thread so this may have been addressed but lets take ourselves out of sideline quarterback mode and try to imagine ourselves in these actual circumstances.

I just hit a guy on a bicycle; my adrenaline is pumping hard-core, and then the guy gets up and attacks me. I've already put my car in park, witnesses are gathered around my vehicle. I have 3 options, #1 sit here and take the beating, #2 attempt to drive away which may or may not stop the threat depending on how well he can hold on, it may also injure or kill a witness that has gathered around my car if I don't see them and strike them while attempting to flee the beat-down I'm currently under, #3 draw firearm and place well aimed shots onto the threat until it ceases.

I'm not an armchair quarterback so I won't be judging if this guy was in the right or wrong, but based upon the facts that I gathered from the story there may have been multiple witnesses gathered at the scene and therefore his choice in shooting the attacker vs. driving away could possibly have saved further injury/death to a witness that could have been near his car.

Do you want to know how I really feel? Get a life and stop judging everybody else's actions right vs. wrong based upon the class you took. EVERY situation is different, and you don't even know a fraction of the circumstances, let alone you haven't experienced it first-hand. :twocents:

Last edited:

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Do you want to know how I really feel? Get a life and stop judging everybody else's actions right vs. wrong based upon the class you took. EVERY situation is different, and you don't even know a fraction of the circumstances, let alone you haven't experienced it first-hand. :twocents:

But its fun to speculate!:D

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I didn't read the whole thread so this may have been addressed but lets take ourselves out of sideline quarterback mode and try to imagine ourselves in these actual circumstances.

I just hit a guy on a bicycle; my adrenaline is pumping hard-core, and then the guy gets up and attacks me. I've already put my car in park, witnesses are gathered around my vehicle. I have 3 options, #1 sit here and take the beating, #2 attempt to drive away which may or may not stop the threat depending on how well he can hold on, it may also injure or kill a witness that has gathered around my car if I don't see them and strike them while attempting to flee the beat-down I'm currently under, #3 draw firearm and place well aimed shots onto the threat until it ceases.

I'm not an armchair quarterback so I won't be judging if this guy was in the right or wrong, but based upon the facts that I gathered from the story there may have been multiple witnesses gathered at the scene and therefore his choice in shooting the attacker vs. driving away could possibly have saved further injury/death to a witness that could have been near his car.

Let's correct your scenario slightly, based on what I understand to have happened. You didn't hit the guy on the bicycle. HE rode through a red light and hit YOU.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Just to throw another twist into it, if he HAD driven away there is always the chance that some over zealous prosecutor might charge him with a hit and run offense.

Ok, maybe far-fetched, but stranger things have happened...

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    This situation will be different since he was inside his car. Its not just a fist fight on the street. And here's the other gray area... All it takes is one good hit to the forehead etc. to knock someone out. I am greatly afraid of being knocked out if I am attacked by someone. I would fear further injury after I am knocked out. So if he was getting hit repeatedly in the face.. I'd say that's a serious attack. Your brain controls your thinking. You go hitting someone's head full force.. that's dangerous. And it sounds like that's what the cyclist was doing.

And he's in his vehicle. That's basically like attacking someone in their home from a legal standpoint. Personally, I believe he was justified based on what i've read (assuming everything was correct). I got a real problem with this idea that just because someone is not armed that they can just pound you in your face and you can't use lethal force to stop them.

And yeah, maybe he could have drove off.. maybe not. Was the attacker leaning in the car? had he already been hit and was stunned or shocked? No condition to drive a car. Think about it. Just some thoughts.

^thank you for stating that someone can be knocked out after being beaten in the head! Speaking from personal experience it can take a bunch of punches to k.o. someone but all you need is one good hit. So just be cause a guy looks unarmed doesn't mean the guy doesn't have two arms connected to fists, and it doesn't mean he'll stop once you're unconscious.

Btw I was on the receiving end of mentioned personal experience...

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Don't know what kind of truck the gentleman was driving but mine has bucket seats and a center console. Almost impossible to go anywhere quickly with someone blocking the door. If said someone is punching me in the face repeatedly I would have to consider that grave danger and a reason to make them leave me alone with whatever means I had at hand. I feel sorry for the guy that had to defend himself from the idiot and go through all the crap that is coming. I sincerely hope he is found not guilty.

Top Bottom