• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    i support the movement... but i kind of doubt that it will ever happen.

If I remember right a Cpt. at a firehouse asked you to conceal or lock up a pair of jeans that had an empty leather OWB holster. Wasn't it hanging on a locker door in plain view of Firefighters only, not even the general public?

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, what about someone who is simply walking THROUGH campus, say from West St down to White River Parkway via Michigan, what would IUPUI PD do to the person carrying in that situation?
    The sidewalks along Michigan St and New York St are public property. They are considered "off-campus".

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    You gotta love the clarity of the indiana code. I just don't carry at all at IU, it's not worth getting kicked out to me.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    The sidewalks along Michigan St and New York St are public property. They are considered "off-campus".

Thanks! I figured that was probably the case.

------

Also, I participated in empty holster protests while on campus today! Didn't see anyone else with one though, also never got any questions but did get a few looks.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I certainly had my comptac on yesterday while I was talking to a few profs and to admissions. However I don't think anyone noticed it.;)

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    SB12 would make to where Indiana public universities would no longer have the discretion to tell licensed students that they cannot carry on campus. There is no law against them doing this just the fact that they would be expelled if found out. You, as a non-student or faculty member, would not have any legal issues with carrying on campus. Instead they would probably just ask you to leave. This distinction is unsupported by the administration with any intelligible reasons.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Denny, what about someone who is simply walking THROUGH campus, say from West St down to White River Parkway via Michigan, what would IUPUI PD do to the person carrying in that situation?

As long as you stay on the _public_ sidewalks that run parallel with _public_ streets, then there is _nothing_ they can do. That being said, if police get a call of someone carrying a gun, they are going to check them out. As soon as you step upon campus property, you would likely be asked to leave the property or go to the PD to secure your weapon.

What if they refused to be disarmed?

If you are a student, you could suspended/expelled from school. If you are an employee, you could face termination. If you are a visitor (or become a visitor because you get fired/expelled), you will likely be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave, you get arrested for trespass. If you do leave, but continue to come onto the property with a banned item, you could eventually be given a trespass warning. If you violate that warning, then you could be arrested for trespassing.

Just so you all know, some of the employees at the university are already well aware of the attempt to change the law mandating universities observe Indiana's permit. I don't know what their opinions are, but obviously some will be very against this.

http://www.iupui.edu/~fcouncil/minutes/Minutes_IFC-2-3-09.pdf

From page 6:

"Agenda Item XIII: Question and Answer Period
    De Tienne asked if the university will promote the bill that allows student to carry concealed weapons. Bantz said he will need to check the position of the University with Amy Warner. Whitney said her colleagues have corresponded with the legislature about why the bill is not a good thing. She pointed out that the bill has never made it out of the House before. Fisher said we need to think of what faculty rights would be if students did carry weapons into the classroom. We need to have some positions as a faculty as to our rights."

Lt. Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    "Agenda Item XIII: Question and Answer Period
    De Tienne asked if the university will promote the bill that allows student to carry concealed weapons. Bantz said he will need to check the position of the University with Amy Warner. Whitney said her colleagues have corresponded with the legislature about why the bill is not a good thing. She pointed out that the bill has never made it out of the House before. Fisher said we need to think of what faculty rights would be if students did carry weapons into the classroom. We need to have some positions as a faculty as to our rights."

This is kind of weird...I'm trying to decide what she's getting at here...It's not like SB12 would affect students differently than faculty as far as the right to carry. Apparently she's referring to the current university policy, and that they need to think about "their rights" when a student shows up openly carrying; presumably the right of faculty to disarm the student, or the right to "feel safe"? :n00b:

Interesting that no reasons for "why the bill is not a good thing" were cited :rolleyes:

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Does anyone know where I can find the current status of this bill? The link cited http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2009/PDF/IN/IN0012.1.pdf just has an introduction date of 7 Jan and "referred to Committee on Judiciary" for the same date.

Below are a couple of resources to contact your politicians. The 2nd link (GOA) also has some other tabs (same page). One will send a template letter to who you choose on current legislation that you can edit. It doesn't get any easier than that to take some action.

NRA-ILA :: Action Center

take-action

Thanks.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    OPEN CARRY WALK? I have ridden the motorcycle around a bit always on the street pavement and never through a parking lot or other obviously non through way.

I mean on the public sidewalk for an OC walk. By non student / staff.

Top Bottom