• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Now I have to go out and try a few magazines left handed, just to satisfy my curiosity!! Thanks Miguel.
    I have always been right hand dominant, though I have thought about the ambidextrous practice many times. Sounds to me like you have been fighting your natural left handedness all this time.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Now I have to go out and try a few magazines left handed, just to satisfy my curiosity!! Thanks Miguel.
    I have always been right hand dominant, though I have thought about the ambidextrous practice many times. Sounds to me like you have been fighting your natural left handedness all this time.

Anything to provoke a thought, good or bad. That's how I roll. :D

God forbid, I'm coming out as a lefty! :laugh:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Most likely, you are paying more attention to the sights doing the "new" thing. Low left (for a righty) is not a function of whether the hand is your natural dominant hand, it's a function of not looking the shot off and anticipating/fighting recoil (flinch).

There is no magic in the cure other than you are executing proper fundamentals.

Known in some circles as a "Trick of the Day."

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most likely, you are paying more attention to the sights doing the "new" thing. Low left (for a righty) is not a function of whether the hand is your natural dominant hand, it's a function of not looking the shot off and anticipating/fighting recoil (flinch).

There is no magic in the cure other than you are executing proper fundamentals.

This was my first reaction too. A lot of people can shoot better groups with their non-dominant hand when they try because they pay closer attention to the fundamentals and the techniques they need to use to execute them.

What you should do is compare not just baseline accuracy, but also incorporate speed into it. If you try to shoot bill drills or some other standard on a timer with both hands, you may find that some of the problems you are introducing with your dominant hand will also appear with the other hand. If not, then you've confirmed that you shoot better with your other hand, regardless of the reasons.

Ultimately you should be able to shoot with either hand, both supported and unsupported (i.e. with two hands or one hand at a time).

Explosior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Madison County
    Personally, I'm built bass-ackwards. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I'm also far more accurate shooting a pistol left handed compared to right handed.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm right-handed, though I often shoot really well with my left hand. I wonder if shooting with your other hand makes you focus and worry about the fundamentals in a way that you don't with your dominant hand. I would be interested to hear what others think about your story.

I'm right handed/right eye dominant, and I've found the same thing. Shooting slow my left can do as well as my right. When it comes to shooting fast/from the draw, my left can't keep up.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm right handed/right eye dominant, and I've found the same thing. Shooting slow my left can do as well as my right. When it comes to shooting fast/from the draw, my left can't keep up.
    Practice, practice, and more practice. :)

I suck with my left, but I'm working on it.

Top Bottom