Chambering the same round multiple times?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Before I leave the house I chamber a round. When I get home I remove that round and put it back into the top of the magazine (I don't carry +1). I have little ones in the house, yes I keep it safe and out of reach, but my wife feels more comfortable knowing there's no possibility of an accidental discharge. My question is, is it okay to chamber the same round more than once?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It certainly can result in bullet setback, which can lead to both failures to feed and cartridge overpressure. Some cartridges seem more susceptible to setback than others, and setback in some cartridges is more dangerous.

So, can it be a problem? Yes. Is it okay to chamber the same round more than once? Usually, yes. But the chance of setback increases with the number of chamberings. Go measure the OAL of that one cartridge you've been rechambering, and compare it to the second cartridge (or a new cartridge).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Most factory rounds are crimped and the bullet will not move. But it's easy to check with a caliper. Measure the OAL (overall length) of a "fresh" cartridge and compare that to one you've been chambering. If you see it shorter (or longer for that matter) you should probably stop using it and save it for the next trip to the range.

I've never seen this happen myself with factory ammo. In fact I'm not exactly clear on how chambering causes setback where the bullet is pushed into the case. It seems to me that the force of hitting the end of the chamber when the slide closes would actually cause it to move OUT rather than in.

It wouldn't surprise me if some types of ammo are more susceptible and some models of firearm cause it more though. If in doubt, check it and be sure.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In before Kirk tells you how much more dangerous it is to keep loading and unloading than it would be to leave it loaded and locked up, tells you not to "coonfinger it", and asks if you've heard about his 870 at shootrite...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Most factory rounds are crimped and the bullet will not move. But it's easy to check with a caliper. Measure the OAL (overall length) of a "fresh" cartridge and compare that to one you've been chambering. If you see it shorter (or longer for that matter) you should probably stop using it and save it for the next trip to the range.

I've never seen this happen myself with factory ammo. In fact I'm not exactly clear on how chambering causes setback where the bullet is pushed into the case. It seems to me that the force of hitting the end of the chamber when the slide closes would actually cause it to move OUT rather than in.

It wouldn't surprise me if some types of ammo are more susceptible and some models of firearm cause it more though. If in doubt, check it and be sure.

That is incorrect. Even with a crimp, a bullet can still set back. I have tested some dummy rounds I made up. It's when the bullet makes contact with the feed ramp that can cause it to set back, not when it's chambers.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In before Kirk tells you how much more dangerous it is to keep loading and unloading than it would be to leave it loaded and locked up, tells you not to "coonfinger it", and asks if you've heard about his 870 at shootrite...

:rofl:

And tells you to load and unload over a sand barrel.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I carry +1 in my duty gun, obviously. When I get home after my shift i drop the mag dump the one in the chamber. In the morning I load the mag, chamber, drop the mag and load the previous nights chambered round. I have been doing this for teh last 4 months, the last time I was at the range, with the same mag. you can see from the ammo the copper on the 1st two round are nice and tarnished with good scuffing on them with some wear on the rim while all the rest in the mag are as new. When I get home tonight I'll get the micrometer out and measure the two rounds that get cycled every other day plus the nest two that never get cycled and see how they measure out. We can find out what the set back is over last 4 months with 2 cycles a day 5 days a week.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    At least one manufacturer has warned against the practice of cycling the same round over and over. They have found that the repeated cycling can dislodge and render useless the compound in the primer, which would yield a no-bang when you expected a bang.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

:rofl:

And tells you to load and unload over a sand barrel.

Both of which I would agree with. I firmly believe you are less likely to have an issue the less you manipulate the gun like this. Gun stays holstered or cased, and I try to limit the amount of round cycling, etc when not on a range or needing to to strip the gun down for some reason.

If there are children around and a concern, a good lock box is a great investment.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    That is incorrect. Even with a crimp, a bullet can still set back. I have tested some dummy rounds I made up. It's when the bullet makes contact with the feed ramp that can cause it to set back, not when it's chambers.

I agree that it can happen. I noted that I have never observed it happening. Could also be offsetting effects, push in when the bullet nose hits the feed ramp and out when the round hits the end of the chamber and the inertia of the bullet has its effect.

But I'm sure the design and slope of the feed ramp could also affect this greatly.

ErickB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Schererville
    I'm guilty of doing this myself with my Walther P99. Using gold dots, I can't actually 'see' any difference between bullet length, but then again I don't re-chamber them on a particularly regular basis, and the differences are sure to be difficult to see. I should bust out the calipers, but I've never actually checked.

Thanks Rolex for the photos. It sounds like you're re-chambering at a pretty extraordinary rate. I'm curious what your results will be.

Or you could just get a revolver and not have to worry about it.

Haha, true!

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I've seen this happen in my own guns before, and was a bit worried as well. BUT honestly after shooting the setback rounds (be it unsafe or not, I was shooting through a p220 with no issues) I came to the conclusion of this: Every couple of days, cycle the round the to the bottom of the mag. TYPICALLY setback wont occur after 1-2 chamberings, so you shouldn't run into any issues. At the end of the month remove all the rounds and see if they all line up with each other, as well as a new un-chambered factory load. If everything checks out, rinse and repeat for another month. Or buy new carry ammo. Just my :twocents:... is it perfect? Nope. Just a thought!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Bullet setback my a$$. I don't care what anyone says, these are the results from my service weapon using my issued ammo with no allterior motive to skew results. My bullets grew!
    The pics are in the order they came out of my gun as of Monday morning when I got home off shift.
    Pic #1 was in the chamber followed in order as they came outta my mag. I'm gonna get with my firearms instructor so I can get the exact date these rounds went in my mag.

Remember pic one and two get cycled between daily, 3 and 4 haven't been chambered and went straight from a factory box into my mag.

40105950-5DC5-4769-A521-672691DBBE74-386-000000EE7690E21F_zps3e25178a.jpg

CF0EDA45-0E88-4E33-99FE-528818EE3027-386-000000EE6F5708C5_zps3077163f.jpg

AC427956-F59C-4EC1-A60A-FBE81CC28277-386-000000EE6539F5DC_zps5993d56c.jpg

A0779FAF-AC42-4016-9C2E-FC8A77FF3769-386-000000EE5CA1ACAC_zps5d2b0c65.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Looks like you may be good to go - but let me assure you, bullet setback does in fact occur. If I get around to it I'll post a picture, but a 24# recoil spring in a .460 Rowland conversion can drive a bullet quite far back into the case if it doesn't feed smoothly.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have no doubt in the world it happens. I was just stressing the point that these are the facts based on my firearm and ammo. Nothing more nothing less, and in this singular case not debatable.

But this is INGO and the interwebz.... I'm sure someone will find a way to argue! lol

Top Bottom