• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    :laugh: thats good stuff! I actually do not carry with one in the chamber. I have only had my Ltch for 3 weeks so i am still getting use to the idea; however, i consistantly practice situation drills where i have to unholster, rack the slide, flip thumb safety and fire. I have been able to drill this motion into my head to where i don't even have to think about it before it happens.
    why not just carry a blue gun .

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I remember my first gun, which is also my carry gun, still carrying it today. I was waiting eagerly for my LTCH to come in. In anticipation, I bought my gun a week before my LTCH came in the mail. The first day I had it home, it was not chambered. By the time I went to bed and put it next to me to sleep, it was chambered and magazine topped off and I've been doing that ever since.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I didn't carry with a round chambered until last year....mostly out of respect for my wife who is anti-carry. Once I realized that if I didn't perform well she'd die right after me I started carrying with a round chambered AND a full mag. My handguns never get unloaded except for my periodic SnapCap draw and fire practice.

-Dobber

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I didn't carry with a round chambered until last year....mostly out of respect for my wife who is anti-carry. Once I realized that if I didn't perform well she'd die right after me I started carrying with a round chambered AND a full mag. My handguns never get unloaded except for my periodic SnapCap draw and fire practice.

-Dobber

How would your wife know if you had a round in the chamber or not? More importantly, how is this respectful or disrespectful? I am compelled to think being able to defend her and yourself after being wounded in your support arm would not be disrespectful.

Carrying a gun is still carrying a gun round chambered or not. No one's "respect" not even my wife's is worth my life.

What changed your mind and brought you to the decision to disrespect your wife based on your premise?

Finally, unload your carry gun and clean it once a month, they tend to collect lint, dust, sand, dirt, sweat and skin oil. Some of these can cause malfunctions.

-Dobber (good as any)

Last edited:

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    How would your wife know if you had a round in the chamber or not? More importantly, how is this respectful or disrespectful?
    She would know because she asks. I am truthful with my wife. She has always preferred that I not carry chambered. Thus, I was respecting her preference.

...What changed your mind and brought you to the decision to disrespect your wife based on your premise?
    As stated, I came to the realization that our safety is more important than her comfort with my carry style.

Finally, unload your carry gun and clean it once a month, they tend to collect lint, dust, sand, dirt, sweat and skin oil. Some of these can cause malfunctions.
    I clean my weapons following dryfire practice (snapcap flaking) and range time. This amounts to minimum once monthly but usually biweekly. Thanks for your concerns.

-Dobber (good as any)
    This is pretty disrespectful.

-Dobber

hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I used to only carry revolvers. I simply didn't trust the semi-autos. Until, I purchased my Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry. I spent a lot of time at the range shooting that gun with my carry ammo. So, I trusted my carry gun.
    Next I had to trust the gun and myself to carry with one in the chamber.
    After doing some one on one training I realized that a lot of situations would either happen too quickly for me to take the time to rack the slide or I would be in a face to face with someone and only would have one free hand. Only needing to click my thumb safety to save my life or someone in my family.
    You gotta be confident in your firearm and yourself. Once you are, you won't even think about not having ammo in the chamber.

Ken

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I always carry chambered. I don't see the point in carrying if I had to rack the slide before shooting a guy who's trying to kill me.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Chambered when carrying. If the situation arises where I need it, and I hope it never does, I am not confident I will have time to pull the slide. I just hope I remember and have time to take the safety off.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    First of all, "Condition Tactical Butterscotch" is a very stupid recommendation, and It's going to get someone killed. No way someone would get that done under pressure, ain't no body got time for that.

I ALWAYS keep one in the chamber, it's ridiculous not to. For safety sake, I use a quality holster that completely covers the trigger, full mag in the pistol, and the barrel with chambered round in my left hip pocket.

406203252.jpg

406203236.jpg

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I carry one in the chamber, and selected a gun that I feel comfortable doing so. The problem with not carrying chambered could easily be answered by Mr. George Zimmerman. When an act of violence happens, it sometimes happens very quickly without warning. If one or more people attack you without warning, you may be trying to hold them back with your weak hand while trying to draw your gun with you strong hand. If it is already chambered you can fire it if necessary. If it is not chambered, you will have to either use it as a club, or pull your weak hand away from the fight to chamber it, leaving you open to the attacker. I would carry my 5 shot airweight 38 special before I would carry anything not chambered, not that the 38 is a bad caliber. Another issue with not carrying one in the chamber is under stress, you may rush the action and short cycle the slide, leaving you with a jammed gun before you had a chance to get off a single shot, and you standing there with an attacker who knows you are now unarmed or worse, you have his pistol and all he has to do is take it.

Granted lots of single action or striker fired guns are safe to carry chambered as long as you don't accidentally pull the trigger. I figure some time in my life it will accidentally get pulled. I have even heard of the triggers dragging on a holster and being fired. A cop put a 10 mm round into his femur while seeing if a Glock fit a holster he was purchasing at a gun show. I'm not going to bash single action or striker fired actions, but I will say when I chose my gun for carry, one of my requirements was it must have a double and single action trigger pull. The Sig Sauer was my final choice. It is perfectly safe to carry chambered, and the trigger pull with the hammer down as you would normally carry it is a long 10 lb pull that would be near impossible to accidentally fire, yet it can easily be fired accurately this way. Hammer down is it's safety, so you don't have to worry about ever drawing the gun and forgetting to take a safety off. Bottom line, the Sig Sauer is a draw and fire gun with the lowest chance of accidental or negligent discharge.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I have gotten use to carrying a round in the chamber it took a while all but one don't have a hammer the 380 has a hammer I still don't carry it with one in the tube but I don't carry it at all.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I always carry one chambered in my Sig. I will say though I recently picked up two 1911's, one in 9mm the other in .45, and I'm still a bit nervous about cocked and locked. I've been carrying for 24 years, I guess its just something I have to get used to.

Top Bottom