• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Just got back from the fairgrounds and the Central Indiana Gun Show being held and overall had a very nice time. I walk the perimeter and aisles the first hour, just to get an overview and perhaps catch a "can't miss" deal should there be one available. Most of the Vendors are helpful and friendly, I especially had a very nice visit with the Applied Ballistics fellas that are located on Concord Road, Lafayette. They give me an overview to the range fees and services and there is a nice display highlighting their store. Very positive experience, I'll be visiting them soon.

I spend the first hour hunting for a deal, specifically, I'm looking for a Kel Tec 32 as a carry for when I wear shorts and walk my dogs. I live in a good neighborhood, but we are on the edge of town. There are foxes in the adjacent fields and more pressing, I occasionally run across large, untethered canines that have no collar or tags. Our dogs are little lap dogs, totalling 20 lbs between the 2 of them, a nice little snack in the fangs of a hungry, Big dog. Anyway, I'm looking for something small to throw in a pocket that will buy me some time/leverage, should I need it.

There is the usual assortment of Saturday Night Specials, Small, generally .25 caliber, very shiny with fake pearl handles. I happen to like these little guns, but that's not what I'm looking for. I find a Kel Tec .380 and it's small, I handle it for a bit, put it in my pocket after receiving permission from the vendor and I'm really almost there. I want to walk and see if I didn't miss a better deal. I hand it back to the vendor and say I will be back. I consider the $250 dollar negotiated price and begin to rationalize.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I brought 240 dollars cash, thinking I'll find a used P32 in the 200 dollar range. I look around again and nothing catches my eye, so I return to said vendor and somehow, I've missed a KelTec 9mm sitting there, NIB, pretty as a peach with a $239 price tag. I'm starting to get a little pumped because with a little negotiation, I'm going home with a new friend who will keep fluffy and foofooo safe on the mean streets of Lafayette.

I ask the fella helping me, "Is this your lowest price?" He looks over to the "owner" of the stand and asks him about a lower price. I hear the magic numbers, $220+tax.. I'm really starting to feel it now, I ask the fella that is helping me to tally it on his calculator and that I want the KelTec.

He informs me that it will be $235.40.

Forty cents! Crap, I'm short. I have $235 even, I gave the gal at the front door 5 bucks to get in. I know, I'll ask the guy if he can take forty cents off of the price, thank him for working with me, explain that is all the cash I have, apologize and get some mercy and then, take this baby home!

Me: Sir, I'm 40 cents short, I only brought 240 dollars looking for a used gun and I don't want to use a credit card. Would 235 dollars be enough to buy this KelTec. You definitely have it priced fair and I appreciate you working with me on the 40 cents.

Vendor: (Insert eery silence for 30 seconds, I thought he didn't hear me) He glares at me and through pursed lips says, "You can leave a deposit on the gun and come back tomorrow" "That way I don't sell it to someone else"

I'm sorting out the response and then it hits me, he's pissed.... I shake off the confusion because in my mind, OF COURSE he will forgive 40 cents. I never lowballed him or even offered a price, it was his negotiation and I agreed to the very first number he offered.

I smile, nod and say "Thank you". Then I walk away.

As I endure the disappointment of emotionally owning the gun and then, not owning it, I slink toward the exit. I've been at the show nearly 3 hours by then and had looked everything over 3-4 times. That 9mm KelTec was the one. I then consider going back to pay with a credit card and just getting it over with, but then that old friend, Mr Principle steps in and says,

no, not only no, but Hell no. That guy's a jerk. Yes, Mr Principle of the matter, you are correct. I won't argue.

As I do the walk of shame toward the exit, a group of 70-ish year old men catches my eye. Hmm, Old men are smart, I wonder what they're doing.
    I venture over to the table and the vendor is doing a background check and has a couple of people waiting on him. I happen to catch sight of a Cobra 9mm Derringer, satin finish with Rosewood grips. That's a nice gun, I think to myself, I've always wanted one of these. I spend the next 15 minutes examining the gun and an old salt with steel eyes and a crewcut ask me, "how's that barrell look young fella" (I'm 42) I tell him it looks pretty good and we small talk about the derringer. He asks me what I'm using it for and I told him that it would make a nice card gun. He says " You must play cards with a pretty rough bunch" I smile back and say "Just family sir". We both chuckle and I'm starting to feel very comfortable and about that time the fella behind the table asks if I need any help. I ask if I can put the Derringer in my pocket and he nods and smiles affirmative. I look at the price tag $169 and ask if that is his lowest price. The gentlemen says, "159 and he'll take care of the tax". "DEAL" I smile back.

I tell him about missing out on the KelTec because I was 40 cents short and he laughs and tells me that he bets he even knows who it was. He points to the general direction and said "back there against the wall?" I laugh and confirm his notion. We complete the paperwork and he hands me a card. Now I never got this fellas name, he just seemed like Grandpa to me, but I'm really glad he snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

His card read

FRIEND'S FIREARMS
    Ridgeville In
    765-857-2109

Should you go to the show, he is the very first table on your left, right next to the entrance and exit.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show, it was a great way to spend the morning and I picked up my dog walking gun.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    I was there for a short bit this morning, mostly to get a few ammo cans. But I think I know of the table you speak of, and the owner that was a fool to give up a sale for forty cents. I've talked with him a couple of times, and wouldn't give him a cent even for the best deal. Just not my kind of person to deal with.

Glad to found what you were looking for. I thought the show a bit smaller than usual with a couple of the large gun vendors absent. I'll be heading to the 1500 in a couple weeks.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have dealt with that gentleman by the front door. Very nice person and highly recommended. He has made me a few deals that made me happy to part with my money.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I would have absolutely NOT bought the gun from the guy even if I had found two quarters on the ground.

If the guy's customer service is so bad, why give him the business.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Not giving him my business became the concensus and I moved on. I'm still going to pick up a KelTec because the reality is that my Derringer is a last resort, novelty type firearm, a boot gun if you will. 8 rounds will always be better than 2, but I'm glad I have an old school card gun.

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    You were better off dealing with Larry a real down to earth guy not looking to stick it in your ass. Would have been a good bet if you had asked someone they would have gave you $0.40. Now you can keep those killer dogs at bay.
    Bob

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    The ultimate irony is that I walked about 6 miles yesterday with the derringer and it beat the hell out of my leg as it bounced around my cargo shorts.. hehe. That being said, I may sell the derringer, BUT, I'm still glad I met the nice fellow by the door. I'll just take the Ruger out until I get it settled.

Is the fellow I dealt with from Friend's firearms named Larry, did I understand that correctly?

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I was doing the show in Evansville otherwise I would have been there. It does sound like it was where Larry and Flora has their tables. They are very cool to do business with.
    Good for you and for them as well.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I bought a Taurus .357 from the man at the front you speak about. He was a very nice guy and even let me come behind his table to sit down and fill out the paperwork.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    there was only like 3 vendors that were willing to actually work with me on trading, the man by the front, the guy in the SE corner, and then a guy towards the center, they rest said they wanted to trade, but when it came to the actual bargaining, they would jack the price up on their gun, i was very disappointed with the show overall.

Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I know exactly who you are talking about. My friend was trying to buy a Glock 19 from him, but he was being ...... you know. So we just said "yeah, no thanks" and left. I'm glad we didnt do business with him.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom