• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It would sound like someone was offended to me. Offense is a liberal trait, so I know we don't see that around here.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    With minor thread necromancy, I have a question about trolling.

At what point does repeatedly instigating "discussions" about a certain topic become trolling?

For instance, I CC more than 99% of the time. In real life, I have nothing against OCers.

But, let's say on INGO, I start a new thread about how CCing is better. Yes, another new thread, despite the fact that other similar threads already exist. But this one is to discuss how CC is better than OC using completely different words, but the same ideas. In fact, I come right out and say OC is for jerks.

In the course of my new thread, many people provide valid, principled arguments for why OCers are not jerks. But, I continue to say they are jerks, although I might come up with fancier words than "jerks" because that's how I roll.

In this hypothetical, when OC/CC comes up in other threads, I never miss an opportunity to belittle OCers. Every time I start a new thread, I say I am interested in hearing other people's views, but then when other views are presented, I argue that they are wrong. There is never a give and take, just an onslaught of my own opinion.

At some point, does that become trolling?

Criminals Conceal - Good Guys Reveal :rockwoot:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I may disagree with what someone says. Not usually offended by it. Sometimes actions are another thing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Just don't pick on the flippers.

Of course! Besides, why would anyone pick on this guy?

flipper-cute.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I must have missed the bashing party. I'm always late. :(

Mods seem to be doin' a decent job nowadays. Discussions are spirited (which is awesome) but not all that contentious (which was not awesome).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I guess that's a fair point, but I'm not sure trolling need only be done by n00bs. I mean, building on my hypothetical, if I kept bringing up my disdain for OC with the knowledge that it will create issues, would that be trolling?

I don't mean just expressing my opinion. As people spend time here and express their opinions, we can kinda tell who believes what. That's the great thing about a community. We know when to ignore certain people on certain topics. :)

But, at the same time, if I just kept bringing it up and bringing it up, and using insulting language, would that be an issue?
    I know what you are saying. I think that people like you are describing tend to walk a line between trolling and not. Sometimes they seem to be really stretching the limits of that line, but they never quite seem to cross over it.

I guess the only recourse for someone else here would be to report posts if they feel that the person is crossing the line and let the mods decide if something needs to be done.

Besides, we all know OCers are cool. It is lawyers that are jerks. :):

Top Bottom