• ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Years ago, Bob & Tom shared a little pearl of wisdom that I think is rather apt for this story... It was a four-part process if I remember correctly, and describes exactly what these stars did wrong in the first place:

1. Never record anything you don't want in public.
    2. Deny
    3. Deny
    4. Deny

Or something like that.

I still think "the cloud" is just a great big pond for folks to go fishing in. If you want something kept private, don't leave it where the public can get at it! And trusting a password or encryption is basically just hoping someone curious/mischievous/malicious doesn't come along and decrypt it just to see what's being protected.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Another star's most personal photos have been hacked...nobody's safe!

imagejpg1_zps502da331.jpg

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I must be out of the loop, because some of these "celebrities" I have never heard of. Some of the pics were disappointing, but Jennifer Lawrence was pretty hot. Selena Gomez wasn't too bad either. Pics are still surfacing, so there is no telling what has yet to surface.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Kate Beckinsale, Anna Kendrick, Kate Upton? If not, don't waste my time!

A lot of Upton. Btw, nobody is interested at all when I spam 100,000's of emails with the pictures I'm leaking. I usually put out professional quality too, lots of props and weiner costumes but not a single person has sent a "Thanks" but I have gotten a few letters from lawyers.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Putting ANYTHING on the internet that you want to remain private is a BAD idea PERIOD. They put their pictures on the internet. They have NO expectation of privacy, even if they have them password protected in private accounts. You give copies of files to ANYONE, you risk them being exposed. Why do you feel sorry for someone that GAVE those files freely to someone else for safekeeping??

If you don't want anyone seeing anything private or potentially embarrassing, DON'T MAKE IT ONLINE ACCESSABLE!!!

As always...............do stupid things, expect stupid results.

So this is entirely the WRONG way to think about cloud services and it's a huge problem I hope the courts fix soon. There's a big difference between posting a photo on a publicly accessible image/message and storing it in a cloud service with an SLA covering access to your data. Someone may be naive for thinking certain services are secure enough, but they should have every expectation of privacy. It's like putting your possessions in a safety deposit box at the bank. The bank advertises that it protects the possessions but the bank manager accidentally drops a master key (yes I know how SD boxes work I'm making an analogy here), forgets to set the alarm and leaves the front door propped open. You didn't have an anticipation that your items were safe?

Personally there are a few things I want to keep safe and they're both on my own hardware and encrypted, but if I have a contract with someone to store my data securely and they fail secure it as agreed, I absolutely should have the right to seek a reasonable remedy from them. Handing my information to a third party that is contractually obligated to keep it secure should not waive my right to privacy.

Last edited:

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Read a news story that listed all the names involved. Kate Upton is the only name on the list in could name from seeing in a pic. I don't know of anything I've ever seen with any of the others.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    CTS, I bet the TOS says they are not responsible for security breeches. If they are, it will shut down cloud services overnight. Just like lawsuits killed doctors dispensing free medical advice.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    :postpics:

Mainly because i can't find any.......
    Beauty lasts only so long and then it's gone. If you got it, flaunt it. I would...
    OK OK, stop pm'ing me. Here it is......
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Eye bleach dispenser by request.....

Last edited:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    When private hackers do it to a few celebrities, it's a privacy violation, a major story and the FBI gets involved to find the culprits. When the government does it to all of us every single day, it's somehow no big deal and nobody cares.

Top Bottom