• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    No further info available other then she was hit in the hand by stray lead from a shotgun. Officers already had been dispatched to reports of gunfire and found the shotgun. Shortly after another call comes in for a 5 year old nearby who was hit in the hand.

We had a thread about this very problem, but wow.. do people not realize the properties of gravity?

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    i'm hearing shots after shots...if nobody hurt or no damage done i'll be shocked....last year a neghbor about 2 blocks away was hit by a wreckless shooter....guess people do not realize 1- what goes up must come down and 2- bullets travel a great distance:dunno:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If upward at steep angle they slow to zero and then freefall, reach a max V waaaaaaaaaay less than from which the gun they departed.

That large horizontal component compared to vertical stuff is what gets folks hurt.
    Alas, folks busting caps in town probably aren't bright enough to remember that other bit.

They've been shooting downtown for yrs in that burg.

Shot used to rain down on my house. No big deal. It was the 9mm and .40 cal stuff that made me herd my kids (well before festivities started) to interior rooms back in the day.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My guess is that the kid that got hurt was at the same party as the shooter and they got some ricochet or took a low angle hit by being nearby (maybe not at the party but within a couple of houses of it).

Some areas/demographics notorious for NYE and July 4 blasting.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    If upward at steep angle they slow to zero and then freefall, reach a max V waaaaaaaaaay less than from which the gun they departed.

That large horizontal component compared to vertical stuff is what gets folks hurt.
    Alas, folks busting caps in town probably aren't bright enough to remember that other bit.....

velocity schmilocity.....still not worth it to take a chance....even when testing things there is always the one rogue result...jmho

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    My guess is that the kid that got hurt was at the same party as the shooter and they got some ricochet or took a low angle hit by being nearby (maybe not at the party but within a couple of houses of it).

Some areas/demographics notorious for NYE and July 4 blasting.

Nearby as best I can tell. There was a short chase but the scanner has been full of all the other junk thats been happening so I gave up trying to follow it. I'm sure the paper will have it in the morning.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yrs ago it was pistol and shotgun blasting, calls to PD got no response.
    Shot rained on my house for over an hr one NYE.
    Next day they came around demanding to know what the then recent gunfire was (neighbor kids in alley w firecrackers- I saw them).
    Yeeesh.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I got off work, tonite at 12:00 midnight, we were standing in the parking lot, and heard noise, I said is that gunfire? We looked at each other and just shook our heads, none of us, really knew ....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wish there was some way of making noise to celebrate that didn't involve weapons. Maybe you could set it off with a match, and it would go "bang", and not go anywhere.
    Maybe like FIREWORKS.

Is purple really necessary?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wonder how bad the injury.
    Also.....
    how many celebratory gun related injuries the burg gets tonight
    and.........
    how many fireworks injuries (of what severity) occur.

Might well be more folks getting hurt to greater degree by legal fireworks.

Not saying that shooting projectiles in celebration a good thing, just wondering what the stats for tonight really would say.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wonder how bad the injury.
    Also.....
    how many celebratory gun related injuries the burg gets tonight
    and.........
    how many fireworks injuries (of what severity) occur.

Might well be more folks getting hurt to greater degree by legal fireworks.

Not saying that shooting projectiles in celebration a good thing, just wondering what the stats for tonight really would say.

At least with fireworks it's usually the people with the fireworks being hurt. Not someone 5 blocks down.

Top Bottom