• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    HOWEVER, as I stated before, if you have a firearm in your truck and you are in a state that does not honor your Indiana permit, you must adhere to the transport regulations, which typically mean the gun is disabled and locked up unloaded.
    yep

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I AM A CDL DRIVER AND JUST WONDER IF I CAN CARRY MY GUN WHILE DRIVING. IN OTHER STATE'S I AM MORE THAN SURE EVEN WITH MY INDIANA PERMIT IF I GET PULLED OVER AND THEY ARE AWARE OF ME HAVING A GUN THEY PROBABLY WON'T LOOK THE OTHER WAY BUT DRIVING IN STRANGE AREA'S WITH THOUSAND'S OR MILLION'S OF DOLLAR'S OF CARGO IS A LITTLE SCARY WITH NO PROTECTION. ANY INFO WOULD HELP VANESSA :draw:

no!! i have a cdl also and checked with dot, they said you can not have a gun in the cab at all. And if you go a state that doesnt recognize indianas permit you will go to jail. I remember a sign when i entered a few states that told you it was illegal. Maryland, pennsylvania come to mind. Although i must say i cant find it on any dot websights so it might have been those 2 guys opinion and not federal law. I think a call or email to dot is in order ill see what i cane comeup with

Last edited:

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    OK, I posted earlier that I had contacted the Indianapolis field office for the US DOT and would post again if I got an answer. Guess what? I got an answer the next morning. Their answer was that Federal regs DO NOT address this issue but that you MUST adhere to the laws of the state or states you are traveling thru. In other words it IS legal to carry as far as the Feds go. If you want to hear this for yourself you can contact Dan Beaver of the US DOT in Indy. I have his phone # but I'm not putting it here. If you want it send me a PM and I will give it to you that way. I stand corrected from my first post. Dang, that's the second time I've ever been wrong!!!!! :lmfao: :dunno:

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    This is interesting. My dad is a trucker, but is the owner of his truck, which I think SHOULD be considered a home for the ones that are in that sort of profession.

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    yes as long as the state /city laws dont state against it you can now your company may not allow it but the DOT doesnot have a problume with it and in this state there are no laws against it

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    And nobody has even mentioned Canada. I was held up one afternoon for 4 hours on my way to Winnipeg because the Canadian Border officer was CONVINCED I had a handgun somewhere in my truck. Two of those hours were spent putting my stuff back into the truck after he threw it on the ground.

If there is a possibility you may be sent into Canada, I think you might not make it back if you have a handgun in the vehicle. He was very serious....

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    And nobody has even mentioned Canada. I was held up one afternoon for 4 hours on my way to Winnipeg because the Canadian Border officer was CONVINCED I had a handgun somewhere in my truck. Two of those hours were spent putting my stuff back into the truck after he threw it on the ground.

If there is a possibility you may be sent into Canada, I think you might not make it back if you have a handgun in the vehicle. He was very serious....

Sounds like you experienced what it is like to run into a law enforcement detail, that doesn't have to consider "reasonable cause" when it decides to search you and your vehicle :rolleyesedit:.

Another thing most people dont think of when crossing the border is they are subject to "International Import and Export Laws" on the items they take across with them, especially firearms.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Wolfman; maybe I didn't make it clear in my post that it was a Officer of another government (Canada) that was enforcing the laws of HIS country. I have never been treated like that by a LEO in the USofA.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Wolfman; maybe I didn't make it clear in my post that it was a Officer of another government (Canada) that was enforcing the laws of HIS country. I have never been treated like that by a LEO in the USofA.

Exactly, I don't believe Canada has as good as protection to it's citizens for reasonable cause and what not.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

I knew exactally what you were talking about when I replied !!!! Drove a semi over the road for over 20 years, and have seen my share of trucks with the cab interior completely stripped out on that side of the border. Used to be ,,, if they didn't find anything ,,,, they would put it all back, just as they found it,,,,,, if they did ,,,, you or your company would have to hire someone to put it back ,,, cus you were in jail ,,, and not available to do it ,,,,,

Top Bottom