• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VGIRL317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    I AM A CDL DRIVER AND JUST WONDER IF I CAN CARRY MY GUN WHILE DRIVING. IN OTHER STATE'S I AM MORE THAN SURE EVEN WITH MY INDIANA PERMIT IF I GET PULLED OVER AND THEY ARE AWARE OF ME HAVING A GUN THEY PROBABLY WON'T LOOK THE OTHER WAY BUT DRIVING IN STRANGE AREA'S WITH THOUSAND'S OR MILLION'S OF DOLLAR'S OF CARGO IS A LITTLE SCARY WITH NO PROTECTION. ANY INFO WOULD HELP VANESSA :draw:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With a valid Indiana handgun permit you can carry in your vehicle. As for other states, you will need to make sure they have reciprocity with Indiana and they recognize your permit.

The bigger problem would be if your employer allows you to carry while driving their vehicles.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I AM A CDL DRIVER AND JUST WONDER IF I CAN CARRY MY GUN WHILE DRIVING. IN OTHER STATE'S I AM MORE THAN SURE EVEN WITH MY INDIANA PERMIT IF I GET PULLED OVER AND THEY ARE AWARE OF ME HAVING A GUN THEY PROBABLY WON'T LOOK THE OTHER WAY BUT DRIVING IN STRANGE AREA'S WITH THOUSAND'S OR MILLION'S OF DOLLAR'S OF CARGO IS A LITTLE SCARY WITH NO PROTECTION. ANY INFO WOULD HELP VANESSA :draw:

Define "carry my gun."

If you mean you transport your gun, yes you can transport your gun with you, but you may not be able to legally carry your gun with you. Federal laws allow you to transport guns across state lines and even through cities like Chicago that forbid guns, but if you transport a gun through Chicago it must be locked, unloaded, out of reach. So you can transport it but not necessarily carry it.

Further, if the DOT inspectors pull you over, you will be free and clear because they do not care if you have a gun or not. On the other hand, if the state/county/local police pull you over then you will need to be in compliance with the state/county/local transport laws.

Your best bet for transport is one of those 'instant open' safe boxes that have spring loaded doors, you simply lay your finger tips on the top of the safe, press in your code and the door pops open. There is room to store one or two handguns and a couple of extra magazines and they cost, depending on model, between $50 and $150.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Better check on this. I am also a CDL licensed driver. The problem is this...you can carry in your personal vehicle yes. Interstate travel in a tractor-trailer is a no-no with a firearm, permit or no permit. Don't take my word for it check the Federal DOT regulations. This is NOT the Indiana DOT,so don't check with them. Check with the Feds. :cheers:

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    I sent in a question onthis to the Federal DOT field office in Indianapolis to get a clarification as I always heard this but could not find anything in the Regs just now when I looked. I will post if I get an answer, Notice I said IF I get an answer! LOL! :runaway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Better check on this. I am also a CDL licensed driver. The problem is this...you can carry in your personal vehicle yes. Interstate travel in a tractor-trailer is a no-no with a firearm, permit or no permit. Don't take my word for it check the Federal DOT regulations. This is NOT the Indiana DOT,so don't check with them. Check with the Feds. :cheers:
    I owned a trucking firm and a fleet of trucks, we did interstate trucking. There is no DOT rule on this. It is a myth. It is often relayed by trucking companies. Look up the regs, they do not exist.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    I owned a trucking firm and a fleet of trucks, we did interstate trucking. There is no DOT rule on this. It is a myth. It is often relayed by trucking companies. Look up the regs, they do not exist.
    Check my post right before yours. That's what I am doing as I said I could not find anything in the regs. However I will wait to see what if anything I hear from the DOT. I will believe whatever they tell me. I have also heard as a driver you better NOT be caught in New Jersey with ANY type firearm in your truck. State regultion on this one. Care to comment on this?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have also heard as a driver you better NOT be caught in New Jersey with ANY type firearm in your truck. State regultion on this one. Care to comment on this?
    My trucks never went to NJ, however federal law trumps state law on the transport of weapons. If you are going thru NJ then I don't see how NJ could have a valid that the is an absolute prohibition.

HOWEVER, as I stated before, if you have a firearm in your truck and you are in a state that does not honor your Indiana permit, you must adhere to the transport regulations, which typically mean the gun is disabled and locked up unloaded.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I drove a semi tractor trailer for over 20 years and all of the companies I ever worked for, specifically prohibited the possession of firearms of any kind in their work rules. State and Federal rules may not prohibit firearms in a truck, but if one of your fellow drivers turns you in to the boss, he can fire you, on the spot, for a violation of the work rules, and there is nothing you can do about it.

wolfman

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I drove a semi tractor trailer for over 20 years and all of the companies I ever worked for, specifically prohibited the possession of firearms of any kind in their work rules. State and Federal rules may not prohibit firearms in a truck, but if one of your fellow drivers turns you in to the boss, he can fire you, on the spot, for a violation of the work rules, and there is nothing you can do about it.

wolfman

This is also true.

We forbid our drivers from carrying guns in their trucks after we found out that some were carrying concealed handguns into areas (Illinois and Wisconsin) where they are prohibited. It was a liability issue and one that we felt could have cause our truck and cargo to be seized. So our work rules forbid it. We did allow specific exceptions, and several employees received permission to have guns, but we mandated that it was conditional on following all laws.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Fila Brasileiro -Awesome dogs oh yeah, I don't know about carrying in your truck but if I was driving around the country I would want a gun with me for the reason you stated. I used to know a couple of truck drivers that had Indiana permits and kept a gun in the cab of their trucks if it was legal or not I don't know.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    CDL driver here that carries daily unless I am going to a school. We haul local and not into other states except for KY (the state not the jelly) on occasion, which they honor our LTCH.
    Myself being a formor IL. resident, man I feel sorry for those poor subjects. The rights you give up just by crossing 100' of water.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ive driven for a year, before getting a different job. The biggest thing is check local/state lawas and reciprocity before carrying. Second, check your company's statutes defining carry. If they have a no weapons policy, as many do, then DONT CARRY. Your job is not worth losing. However, pending that, there are many items in your truck that are very good weapons. A good tiretester will lay a man out cold :D (dont ask me how I know :D).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I must respectfully disagree with disposable heart in regards to not wanting to lose your job. To me, its a probability issue. Whats the probability that the company will find out you broke their rule vs. whats the likelihood that you may need the gun. More than likely, the gun will never be used. But, if you don't talk about it, and don't tell other drivers, the company will never know. Of course I am talking about company policy not state law. Breaking law has a lot more consequences and you have to assess whether or not they are worth it. I know the economy is in bad shape and no one wants to be out of work, but IMHO their no firearms policy shows their selfishness and how they only look out for themselves. No attack on him, but melensdad even admits that his company didn't allow it because of their potential liability. As far as I am concerned, their policy has the effect of a fart in a tornado. Most companies are so insistent on having a CYA policy, and it just serves to prove we each need to cover our own. Look at the Pizza Hut guy in the past few months. Few companies would ever tell you it is ok, for the reasons already mentioned. At the end of the day, the only person who is responsible for your own safety is YOU. Nobody else is looking out for numero uno. CYA policies be damned.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Unfortunately, insurance and other things determined by actuaries determine what truck drivers can and cant do. Idling an eingine, while not even a minor effect on the environment is now controlled in many states, not to mention the wallet. Companies simply dont want to have to pay more to insurance companies (on top of already skyrocketing costs of business) to allow drivers to carry.

Remember, when you drive a truck for a company (not one's self, owner op), you are nothing more than a piece of equipment to them. They are paying you to drive, nothing more, and they expect nothing more. They, when paying you, have every right to control your behavior, at least in my mind. They feed the kids back home, pay the rent, etc... If they dont want a piece of weapon in their property (truck) then they have every right to not allow you to. If you want to punish not only your family but other truckers in the company by dragging out a civil lawsuit regarding violation of contract (carrying of a weapon in your truck) then do so. Its unfortunate, but that is how it is.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008

I own now and have trucks running Indiana/Kentucky for your major home improvement stores and where you buy your TV's from and I encourage drivers to obtain a carry permit.

I talk with USDOT and alot of state police who say they have no rule defining the carry issue.

its an old trucks tale. Check your local fuelling station you will have 50 different anwers all of them being the right one.lol

you can pick up a Dot reg book for about $5 at a truck stop or go to JJkeller.com

Top Bottom