CCW Holders live in a dream world according to ABC News.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Video 1
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&feature=related[/ame]

Video 2
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLN6_s66wTg[/ame]

ABC News did a study "Proving that Concealed Handgun Carriers live in a dream world"

Watch the videos.

While I will concede to some of their points, there are many others they did not take into account. And after watching both video's I will still carry!

In random order here are my comments.

1. The intruder in this video knows where the other threat in the room is before he enters. In actuality, a real killer would not expect any return fire, and the CC would have a few more seconds to take out the attacker. In the second video, the second shooter instantly takes out the cc, because he knows where the cc person is sitting. The element of surprise works in our favor, and this scenario did not take that into account.

2. Not everyone who cc's will be in the exact room of the shooting. A cc in the adjacent room will still be able to minimize the damage to other students, long before the police arrive if the gunman goes on a school wide rampage, or otherwise tries to escape.

3. As soon a a gunman encounters resistance they too will have to change their game plan. If my drawing, and shooting at him, causes him to pause, flee, shoot himself, or otherwise abandon his original game plan, then even if I don't shoot him, I've altered his plan, and likely saved lives.

3. If I'm in this situation, I'd rather go out with a gun in my hand. At least give me a fighting chance, versus pleading the gunman not to shoot me.

4. I'd like to think, I'd hit the deck, draw, and assess the situation before coming back up to shoot. Who knows what I'd really do.

Thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sorry my internet is not fast enough at home to watch youtube, but I have seen similar footage before.

1) If a CCW/LTCH holder has a handgun and is not able to help the situation then what has changed? The criminal is still going to shoot people.

2) If the CCW/LTCH holder can change the situation for the better then they are doing their civic duty.

So, at best the CCW/LTCH holder is helping make our community a safer place. :rockwoot: In the worse case scenario they have no negative affect. :rolleyes:

Personally I would just as soon see more responsible people armed because as a society we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    While I will concede to some of their points, there are many others they did not take into account. And after watching both video's I will still carry!
    You're too kind. I would not concede to any of the "points" supposedly made in this video.

I think this is real old news. It was posted to Yootoob by the Violence Policy Center, that seems to focus only on handguns and very little on any other implements of destruction.

It think the disapproval rate for the video is about 10,000 to 1.

It's obviously not a serious study. Along the lines of Dateline putting explosives in the pickup truck fuel tank to show how dangerous the vehicle was in side collisions.

Just the fact that the 'gunman' was a trained officer who knew what was happening, and the 'shooters' were inexperienced college kids pretty much says it all.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I rember seeing this a couple years ago on TV. It was a total "hit man" piece that I was expecting from ABC and not dissapointed. IIRC the CCW people were not people skilled in firearm usage, they had just been given a short crash course in gun handling. Only one of the CCW's had any knowledge what so ever, that was the girl that was shot while returning fire. That is to the best of my memory because I don't feel like getting my blood pressure up by watching a totaly biased piece again. And yes the shooter knew exactly who the armed person was and went straight for them. Totaly BS, Jim.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yes it may be very old news - its new to me though. I posted despite that figuring someone else here might not have seen it before. Going along with other scenario training, a more likely scenario we are all likely to be involved in, is a conversation about gun control, and for that fight I want to be armed as well..

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Yes it may be very old news - its new to me though. I posted despite that figuring someone else here might not have seen it before. Going along with other scenario training, a more likely scenario we are all likely to be involved in, is a conversation about gun control, and for that fight I want to be armed as well..
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for posting this! :ingo:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Seems to me the video is really evidence that all citizens should OC or CC at all times. Imagine walking into a room with 30 armed people and trying to shoot a few and get out alive.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seems to me the video is really evidence that all citizens should OC or CC at all times. Imagine walking into a room with 30 armed people and trying to shoot a few and get out alive.
    ^^This^^ The bad guy might still be able to get a few but atleast it's better than the alternative of him going on an unfettered rampage without some kind of armed resistance and killing everybody at his leisure.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    All of these scenarios were set up for fail from the beginning. Everyone else in the room knew what was going to happen and what they were going to do.

cam75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Only watched the first few minutes, but come on.

He's "carrying" appendix IWB with no holster, stupid right there. He's never carried before. Then is shackled with some huge shirt he looks like he would never wear, a helmet and gloves and is expected to pull "his" weapon.

This was setup to fail from the start.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They should've put one of the cops through the same scenario too with the same gloves and OWB thumbreak holster etc without them knowing the scenario was going to be done.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    In a shooting scenario like this in real life, would EVERYONE run around in chaos, or is it likely that an equal number would simply freeze in place?

Everyone here reacted immediately, and I would think it would take some people a second or two to figure out what was going on and then they'd freeze. I dunno..

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    everyone would run in chaos very much like what you saw.
    I personally believe its not a bad idea to have some type of formal training be for you can get your LTCH. the reason being a lot of people get them and have no idea of how to use it or what it's like to have to make that split second decision. I know I just became a target but think about it and some of the dumb stuff you have seen at the range?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I personally believe its not a bad idea to have some type of formal training be for you can get your LTCH. the reason being a lot of people get them and have no idea of how to use it or what it's like to have to make that split second decision. I know I just became a target but think about it and some of the dumb stuff you have seen at the range?

Sorry dude, the type of training they give you before most states get their permission slips is limited at best. No amount of training fixes stupid. I know guys wounded and killed in the military from poor weapon handling and no one would argue they don't have a lot of firearm training.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    ABC is not in the news business, they just sell advertising that allows them to promote their agenda ON THE AIR. Did anyone really think that ABC would show the positive effects of lawfully carrying a handgun? If so, do you still believe in the Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy? Seriously, I would much rather be armed when confronted with an active shooter situation. At least I would have an option available.

Top Bottom