• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    So, I've been carrying for about a month now and thought I'd share my reflections on it so far.

First of all, the thing that stands out most in my mind is, "Holy cow, a lot of folks carry." No, I haven't seen other people carry much or discussed it with many others (besides here at INGO). What I've found is that nobody knows IIII am carrying. Whether I have my sidearm with me or not, everyone around me acts the same. They don't know I'm carrying. I know this may seem obvious to you all who have carried a while but for a new CCer, it's kinda a new experience. What it made me realize is that I have no clue how many people I pass by daily that are carrying and other folks have no idea how many people around THEM are carrying. I'm sure I've been around thousands of people who were carrying and I never even knew it. I mean, I've always known there were probably people at some point carrying, but now I realize it could literally be anyone anywhere, an probably is! If I'm carrying and no one is noticing, then I gotta assume a whole bunch more are too. Which is great!

A lot of my thoughts have to do with that first one. For example, I'm very surprised with how well my OWB Serpa holster conceals my p228. I mean, this is just about as non-concealing as holsters come, yet I've never been spotted carrying yet. My wife, who obviously knows I carry, will sometimes be surprised when I take my jacket off on arriving home and she then sees my gun on my hip. It's not a bad surprised, just a "Oh, I didn't know you were carrying." The other day I was going to the range with some friends and I stopped by one's house to help load some ammo beforehand. As we're leaving his house for the range he asks me if I'm going to get my gun from the car--I've had it on me the whole time in a polo without even a jacket as cover. Another time, after leaving a range shooting with my father, we stopped by Meijer to pick up some things. When we were inside he turned to me and said, "I guess technically we could have brought our guns in here with us and it would be perfectly legal." I was walking right beside him with my handgun holstered under my jacket on my hip! We had just left the range! I guess my point in all this is I was very surprised with how much people, even those who should be expecting it, will NOT notice a handgun. You don't even have to get a million dollar, custom-made, 5 year waiting list, baby-zebra-hide holster to conceal it.

Third, I'm surprised with how quickly I've become comfortable with a sidearm on me and uncomfortable with it not on me. I frequent locations that are strictly off-limits to carrying. Before I started carrying, I was always concerned about a BG coming in a shooting up the place, esp. with the nature of the locations. Now, I'm even MORE concerned and more aware that if something were to happen while at these locations I'd have absolutely no hope of surviving. It doesn't make it any better that these locations tend to be prime targets for crazies.

Finally, I'm surprised with how expensive owning a handgun can be if you "want to do it right." You think "Oh, a couple hundred bucks on a handgun... that's not too bad." But then you realize, okay so I'm gonna need to spend $50-100 on a decent holster, over $100 on my LTCH, at least 20cents/round for ammo, $50+/yr to have a membership to a range, $20 to get a cleaning kit, $20 or so for decent safety stuff (ear/eye protection), $100's of dollars on training, and then you realize there is no way in the world you're going to be happy with just one handgun :D. For you, this may not seem like a big deal, but for a poor guy like me, it is. I've ended up realizing a lot of my future birthday, anniversary, Christmas, valentines, etc. etc. presents are going to have to be handgun related. No, this isn't bad, per se. I will truly enjoy what that money is spent on, but dang, these things are an expensive habit!

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    lol. i applied for my permit a couple of weeks ago and have not recieved it. up until now, i basically had the same mind set as you. no one must be armed b/c i cant see it. out of sight, out of mind. its going to be interesting to see how my thought changes. and no, one gun is never enough. ive already got a modest four and saving up for my "ideal concealed carry" gun b/c my other guns were bought with no intention of carry. either large, or only two shot derringer or whatever.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    lol. i applied for my permit a couple of weeks ago and have not recieved it. up until now, i basically had the same mind set as you. no one must be armed b/c i cant see it. out of sight, out of mind. its going to be interesting to see how my thought changes. and no, one gun is never enough. ive already got a modest four and saving up for my "ideal concealed carry" gun b/c my other guns were bought with no intention of carry. either large, or only two shot derringer or whatever.

And when you find it, someone will release the newest, "must have", and it will start all over!:D

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was truely surprised on my transission to carry as well. I voiced to my wife how interested the change was going to be to make sure I was carrying all day every day, and how uncomfortable it maybe be at times. Then a week later, I commented on trying out a few new holsters, after realizing it hadn't left my side and I hadn't though about it. ;-)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A lot of my thoughts have to do with that first one. For example, I'm very surprised with how well my OWB Serpa holster conceals my p228.

If your surprised at how well it conceals when you make an attempt to conceal it. You would be positively shocked at how well my owb open carried ruger p95 'conceals'. Or at least how long it takes for some people to realize that I actually have it on. I was helping my niece move a few months back and her and my other niece didn't notice it until her 5 yr old said something. We had been unloading the pod for about 20-30 minutes at that point. A lady at the gas station I go to didn't notice it until at least the 3-4 time I'd been in there. My sister in law didn't realize I had it on for at least an hour when I was over at her house. And a bunch more. And these were all open carried no attempt to conceal. :dunno:

The gas station was probably the funniest, she saw it and went "IS THAT A GUN IN YOUR POCKET???" I said yes its a gun but its in a holster not my pocket. She then asked if I was a cop :): and then after a second look went "or a security guard?" I told her no just an average law abiding citizen. We had a nice talk after that about IN LTCH and during it she mentioned that this was the first time someone had a gun in the store. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had carried exactly the same way at least 3x in front of her before. But did mention that it wasn't probably the first time as most people conceal and that 1 in 10 adults in IN have a LTCH.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If your surprised at how well it conceals when you make an attempt to conceal it. You would be positively shocked at how well my owb open carried ruger p95 'conceals'. Or at least how long it takes for some people to realize that I actually have it on. I was helping my niece move a few months back and her and my other niece didn't notice it until her 5 yr old said something. We had been unloading the pod for about 20-30 minutes at that point. A lady at the gas station I go to didn't notice it until at least the 3-4 time I'd been in there. My sister in law didn't realize I had it on for at least an hour when I was over at her house. And a bunch more. And these were all open carried no attempt to conceal. :dunno:

The gas station was probably the funniest, she saw it and went "IS THAT A GUN IN YOUR POCKET???" I said yes its a gun but its in a holster not my pocket. She then asked if I was a cop :): and then after a second look went "or a security guard?" I told her no just an average law abiding citizen. We had a nice talk after that about IN LTCH and during it she mentioned that this was the first time someone had a gun in the store. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had carried exactly the same way at least 3x in front of her before. But did mention that it wasn't probably the first time as most people conceal and that 1 in 10 adults in IN have a LTCH.

That is great. I've got a ton of similar open carry yet nobody notices stories. My favorite was when I went to visit my cousin in Crawfordsville. My wife and I were there about two hours when we all decided we needed to go to wal-mart. My cousin finally noticed in wal-mart that I had a gun on my hip in plain sight.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    That is great. I've got a ton of similar open carry yet nobody notices stories. My favorite was when I went to visit my cousin in Crawfordsville. My wife and I were there about two hours when we all decided we needed to go to wal-mart. My cousin finally noticed in wal-mart that I had a gun on my hip in plain sight.
    and some people think you will instantly get shot on sight for open carrying if someone were to rob the store.

basswizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Indy West
    So, I've been carrying for about a month now and thought I'd share my reflections on it so far.

Third, I'm surprised with how quickly I've become comfortable with a sidearm on me and uncomfortable with it not on me. ...

...Finally, I'm surprised with how expensive owning a handgun can be if you "want to do it right." ... but dang, these things are an expensive habit!

Good post zebov. You have succinctly summarized some of the same experiences and thoughts I, and I suppose many of us, have had.

I have been carrying for about two years now and while still learning, have become very comfortable having my gun with me. Initially my wife's attitude was something to the effect of, "you're not taking that thing with you are you?" Now she has warmed up quite a bit to it. Last week we were shopping downtown Indy. She had to ask to know for certain but it was comforting to her to know I was carrying.

I have become very uncomfortable when I am not able to carry due to the destination. Carrying has become second nature. On occasion I have had to pat myself down to make sure I had put it away before I went off to work, which would be grounds for immediate termination of employment where I work.

I had no clue the cost of owning a gun was like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going and going. My next purchase will be a bigger safe and then an AR15 and then.....

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    I'm also new to CCing. I don't CC all the time. I can't carry on the job. After hours I haven't started carrying all the time yet simply due to holster choice. Working on that for now, but I do have it covered for a particular application... running. I have a CC "fanny pack" popular with joggers.

My wife and I run at a park that is very popular and extremely populated most of the time, but has had a couple of bad things go down. One was a daylight abduction and rape. So, we know it can happen, even at this beautiful park.

If running outside of our running club (a large group), I carry for the run. The other day, we ran into a couple club members and stood around talking for 20-30 minutes. We then ran another lap with one of them, and finished around dark. On the ride home we talked about just what the OP mentioned... how no one has a clue you are carrying. Consequently, how many people we see daily that are carrying and we have no clue.

It's definitely a unique feeling to get used to.

Top Bottom