• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I was out on my mountain bike yesterday at Brown County State Park. I was at about mile 14 when I encountered 2 sketchy fellas. Their position on the trail was sort of odd. They were stopped, centered on an uphill. Both were wearing jeans and sweatshirts with the hood up. As I approached I made some noise thinking they would hear me and step aside. They didn't. I passed them on the left and as I went past one said "oh sorry man". I said "no problem". I checked over my shoulder and the 2 guys were right on my tail. Too close for me. I kicked it down a notch and pretty much left them. The last thing I need is to get knocked over the head and robbed. While biking (even in cold weather) I don't wear a lot of clothing. Shorts, base layer, and an insulating layer. I'm thinking of procuring an LCP or something with a belly band. Whatever it is it needs to be comfortable and non chafing. My rides will typically last 3 or 4 hours. Any ideas??

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

Or perhaps...

flamethrower_lg.jpg

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Shoulder rigs work great for kayaking, biking, motorcylcles on-road and off, long runs or marathons, adventure races, etc....

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're not "shredding", I use a $20+/- Bulldog ankle holster high on my right side calf.

I have a belly band but don't want to get it ruined with sweat since I don't want to buy another and use it only on occasions of wearing it under dress shirts mostly.

PF9 in a cheap ankle holster is decent for me and my leisurely rides. It has never given me concern about coming insecure (even when I've had minor wipeouts). You might want something else if you're doing gnarly terrain a lot.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't know if I'd trust the Belly Band. I like my junk the way it is.

I'd look into an ankle holster or an in the waist band holster. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I can get my MTAC to fit tight in my gym shorts.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Only bad thing about that is if you have to leave your bike. Either you wreck or stop to get a drink or go behind a tree and do your business.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    it all depends on how intense your mountain biking is. some people call easy trails "mountain biking" but obviously the more intense, the more secure you need it to be.

in my opinion, an easily detachable holster underneath the seat is your best option. this eliminates the chance that you will fall on your weapon if you eat it, and it also eliminates the chafe issue, but you want to be able to take it out and put it on your belt if you get off the bike willingly.

perhaps a small underseat pouch and then a belt clip like my buddy has on his Kel-Tec would be ideal

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    I have also thought about this, I would say a blackhawk serpa under the front of the seat with something cheap like a taurus revolver.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    What about some sort of a fannie pack (like a camera pack) that you can hang/strap to the bike, then unclip if you need to leave it?
    I am more concerned about utility than fashon.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I'm not a cyclist, but I would imagine the last place I would want to carry on a bike is on the ankle. A belly band or cc shirt (5.11 Website) would work fine. Trying to draw from an ankle holster while out pedaling an attacker just seems counterproductive. A big can of pepper spray on the handlebars might be as effective! They would probably see it and just leave you alone. I suppose a fanny pack is out of the question? What about a Camelbak Mule? You could holster just under the shoulder strap, make it look like an mp3 player or phone case.

+1 for the PF9, its tiny, lightweight, and if you loose it you won't have to spend a whole paycheck to replace it.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Being a noobish biker myself, I'd agree that ankle carry would be out of the question. I myself would go for some sort of chest rig.

1. Blackhawk Sahara Strider (discontinued, but still available)
    2. Blackhawk Universal Chest Holster
    3. Conterra Radio Holder
    4. Kata Chest Holster (for 35mm cams, but cool and non-descript)
    5. 5.11 Chest Rig with Specific pouches

For waistpack sneakiness, any of the Maxpedition line or Desantis fanny packs would work well. Wilderness also makes one called the Safepacker Runner's Pack that would be just about perfect.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I like my Eagle industries Runners concealment pouch for both running and biking. It's nice to have a J frame close. Supposedly there is a G26/27 model but I havent seen it.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Being a noobish biker myself ...
    5. 5.11 Chest Rig with Specific pouches

Also a noobish biker here, but I did spend a lot of time this summer on my bike since I rode it to work almost every day in addition to going on rides around the city.

I used a 5.11 holster shirt. Linky -> Holster Shirtâ„¢ | Tops | 5.11 Tactical

And I then carried a KelTec P-11. I recently acquired an LCP which would also fit nicely, but since the P-11 did work, and I'd rather have 10+1 of 9mm than 6+1 of .380, I'd probably stay with the P-11 for Cycling Carry.

I found that even worked okay for jogging. Here was my review of it from back when. Linky -> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_5_11_holster_shirt_for_jogging_carry.html

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Back in the 90's I seen a bit on L.E.T.N. about this topic. They showed a holster that mounts to a bike in the same way the blow item does expect it was actually designed to hold a handgun securely. With a quick google search I wasn't able to find the holster L.E.T.N. was discussing but you may be able to modify the blow item or just use it as is.

ùåô äøéí - úé÷ ùéìãä 1.3 ìéèø

Here's another version of it. (this link loads quicker than the top one)

Sling and Pack

Top Bottom