• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I'm going to throw a thought in on this issus. In my military issue m16 in a combat theater I had to load and unload a round in the chamber every day that I went outside the wire. After about a week of this, the primer would be dented from the firing pin hitting it day after day. Would be a small dent, but a dent non the less. All I would do is rotate my rounds every week or so. I never had an AD or a slam fire or any problems, it's just I noticed it and would make sure to have a good primer on the first round in the magazine.

I don't know if a normal primer would withstand this kind of abuse or not, I know that in my personal AR if I load a round in the chamber it's not getting chucked out by hand...it's a gonna go BOOM :):

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    OEF5 you've raised a good point about dented primers. That is certainly something to be aware of. It occurs with some other firearms as well.
    Not to get the thread off track, but that is why I use the #34 in a Garand and M1A type rifle.
    And I want to thank you for your service to us and your Country.

Edit : Stschil and cwood I'd like to thank both of you too for your service.
    And I bet FA 7.62 x 51 is wicked.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The SAW uses an open bolt. That makes the subject of slam fires a non issue with that system.

I load and use the 5.56 on a agency issued M16A1 alot. I have never used the CCI #41. I use the CCI 400 only. WW are to soft IMO and a prone to pierced primers in my experience. Federals seat funky and seem to have OD tolerance issues in small rifle. I load mostly 77 grain bullets FWIW.

I have had "A" (One) slam fire with my assigned 11.5" M16. It was my fault as I single loaded a round in the chamber and dropped the bolt on it. This gun at the time had a VERY stiff buffer/action spring due to the short barrel and it's radical function. I knew better than to do what I did. It was pointed in a safe direction and caused no harm other than the oh s--- moment. The round in question was a new factory LC 62 grain load. Not sure what primer they use.

IMO the M1,M1A and the AR/M16 are all capable of slam fires due to their design. That fact alone should always be on a person's mind when they are using those type of weapons especially during loading. FWIW Reloaders for those weapons should always be very aware of primer seating depth,clean primer pockets ect.:twocents:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I have never used the CCI #41. I use the CCI 400 only.

Same with me. I just returned from Cabela's. They had CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers on sale for $19.95 @ 1,000 down from the $30.95 "regular" price. I bought 5,000. I've never had an issue with any CCI primers in the past. I like to stick with what works.

This may or may not be related to this issue we are discussing, but I've heard Ruger Mini 30 shooters complain from time to time about misfires with Mil-Surp 7.62 X 39 MM ammunition. Many say it is due to the firing pin spring in the Ruger Mini 30 being weaker than a standard firing pin spring in a Com - Block AK-47. Those who had this issue said the ammo looked as if it had very light primer strikes. This could very well be from hard primers used in Mil-Surp 7.62 X 39 MM ammo. The problem vanished when they used domestic production ammunition. Bill T.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom