• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So, sometime in the next two weeks I should be getting a lovely card in the mail that tells me the state of Indiana authorizes me to carry a weapon on my person. Needless to say I am excited!

While I will probably start just having my firearm in my truck with me, then slowly work up to having it on my person I have not yet decided if I want to OC, or CC.

The logical part of me wants to CC because it's less likely to cause problems, but I know it would be more comfortable to OC. I thought I'd made up my mind to CC until I started reading about all the good experiences OCers here have had.

So I was wondering, when you started carrying did you OC or CC, and have you ever switched from one to the other? If you OC would you say you've had more positive or negative experiences?

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here, let me save you some time. This has been debated ad infinitum/nauseum here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

I know it has been debated and I've read the debates about what is more tactical, safe, comforting to the populous. However I'd never run across anything asking people what they started with, how many times they've switched, etc.

I was trying to come up with a freshish question and didn't mean to rehash age old nonsense.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I do both depending on destination, company, etc. I OC more by FAR and I have very positive experiences more so than negative BY FAR. The question here is more of the type of person you are, not how you prefer to carry but how you prefer to handle possible situations.

If you feel like you can discuss your rights in a CIVIL and EDUCATED manner and turn a simple inquiry into a positive learning experience for someone, then by all means OC. If you feel you have a lot more to learn before taking that on, then CC. This is a raging debate in the gun world and will likely never end. I'm glad we have the right to choose here in IN.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When I first started carrying, I primarily concealed. Once my confidence built, I started carrying however I darn well felt like! I have holsters for both, and switch as the situation warrants. OC is the default, though.

Never a single negative experience ever while OC. It is rare anyone even notices, and rarer yet that they say anything at all. I've had a few good conversations, mostly just a question or two and that's it. It has been MONTHS though.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I do both depending on destination, company, etc. I OC more by FAR and I have very positive experiences more so than negative BY FAR. The question here is more of the type of person you are, not how you prefer to carry but how you prefer to handle possible situations.

If you feel like you can discuss your rights in a CIVIL and EDUCATED manner and turn a simple inquiry into a positive learning experience for someone, then by all means OC. If you feel you have a lot more to learn before taking that on, then CC. This is a raging debate in the gun world and will likely never end. I'm glad we have the right to choose here in IN.
    Good advice. :yesway: If you should choose to OC or even CC for that matter it would behoove you to know what the laws and your rights are and also be able to articulate your positions and have the confidence to do so if the subject should come up. Whether good or bad.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, this forum is getting harsh. Must be the cc-ers. ;)

Don't make it more hostile :P I knew I was taking a risk trying to post this, but I'd hoped it would go over better than this.

Again for the third time just to be clear I am not asking for advice on what I should do, or which is more tactical. I am asking what you started with, if you've switched, and if you OC for a rough ratio of good to bad experiences. :P

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Just making sure buddy. Personally, I CC'd until I got to the point where I was more comfortable with carrying. Then, I got to the point where I really didn't care if someone knew I had a gun and now I do both, it just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Heck, even when I CC I'm probably printing, but like I said, I really don't care. HA!

Welcome to INGO BTW.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

The debate goes on due to comments like this - I am sure you did not mean it as an insult but this could have been worded better. Your statement shows that you believe the OC to be end all carry method that you are going for as a goal.

The answer to the OP, is that either one may be the answer for you. That is for you to decide in your situation. Sometimes the answer changes. His first paragraph above does make sense and if you do carry (OC or CC) you need to be able to discuss your rights in a civil and educated manner.

For me, I CC. OC is not an option in the majority of situations for me. I have been CC'ing longer than some posters have been alive. I am one of the slow ones, I guess.

Last edited:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I started with OC and moved to occasional CC. I have had many more positive experiences than negative. I even went over to my buddies house and he has started OCing after seeing me do it so much. I do have a really comfortable tuckable holster that I wear often it really depends on what I am doing/wearing.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    The debate goes on due to comments like this - I am sure you did not mean it as an insult but this could have been worded better. Your statement shows that you believe the OC to be end all carry method that you are going for as a goal.

The answer to the OP, is that either one may be the answer for you. That is for you to decide in your situation. Sometimes the answer changes. His first paragraph above does make sense and if you do carry (OC or CC) you need to be able to discuss your rights in a civil and educated manner.

For me, I CC. OC is not an option in the majority of situations. I have been CC'ing longer than some posters have been alive. I am one of the slow ones, I guess.

You may be reading to much into the statement he made. CCers aren't approached as much as OCers is where I believe he was going with that.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I guess I was guilty of not precisely answering the question, so here it is. When I first started to daily carry, it was concealed carry. There was no real epiphany on the day I first carried OC; I just did. Nothing has occurred since then to make me regret adding OC to my routine, and my daily choice of method is now predicated on various factors. This portion of my original answer remains unchanged; I've had no negative experiences thus far.

Top Bottom