• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    From Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, written in 1957:

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system...

-rvb

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    now the government is saying 1 down XXXX to go, so the slaves (citizens) cant put up a fight and the gov. can have total rule.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    She sure was.

Well, she does look a little mannish.

vh3ko1.jpg

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    There was a post on arfcom explaining what happened. He sold 40 undocumented firearms to people and did not do them on his FFL as he should have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    My friend Steve used to mill and sell flats to people, and ATF leaned on him pretty hard, as apparently he was dangerously close to the magic threshold of either 75 or 80%. Long dead now, but one of the most knowledgeable enthusiasts I've ever known, may he rest in peace.

Sad that asinine restrictions put companies out of business. Just wait until the day when there exists only one firearms company in this country - and that company's owned by the ATF. Imagine how many will have firearms then...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

From the above reference....

U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke said Friday. "These are the preliminary steps [rvb - wtf? Now the gov makes accusations based on what they think we MIGHT do?] that individuals take to get around federal laws in order to traffic in illegal firearms." ... Illegal-firearms sales are steadily increasing in Arizona, with much of the market driven by demand in Mexico, said Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona. "The activity - southbound guns into Mexico - is very robust,"
    [rvb - so, ATF implies that Cav guns are being trafficed to Mexico, by Cav Arms]
    agents said Nealon had illegally sold weapons to out-of-state buyers, more than 40 of those to a California resident who often stored those weapons at Nealon's home.
    [rvb - but wait, they never left the Cav Arms owner, the FFL holder]
    But authorities say the bigger victory in this case is stripping Nealon of his firearms license.
    [rvb - end goal met]

Sucks to see them go, but blame Cav Arms here. If they cant follow the rules they have no business making and selling firearms. :noway:

I agree they are stupid to not follow the letter of the law... but it's hard to be very angry w/ cav arms when in the end the only charge is "selling" to someone in another state.... yet the guns are still w/ the owner of cav arms. So if no transfer takes place, apparently you can still be charged with not properly doing a transfer? Doesn't that all seem rediculous? And I'm to be angry w/ Cav Arms over this?

Yes they screwed up, and he should have found a smarter way to let his CA buddy play some toys (that's how the article reads to me). Based on that article, I don't get that Cav was trafficing to mexico, or fellons, or gang bangers, which would have been justification for prison/fines/loss of business. This seems like a small fine and a "teachable moment" are what was really warented.

Sad that asinine restrictions put companies out of business.

yup.

-rvb

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Why is it that gun-owners always argue against new gun laws (which I agree that there shouldn't be) by saying that the .gov should just enforce the existing ones but as soon as .gov does enforce the existing ones then all of a sudden there is a "vast left-wing conspiracy" to shut down all gun manufacturers? (side note: the investigation was started & the raid ocurred in early 2008 under Bush not Obama :rolleyes:)

It looks like they even cut the guy some slack on other charges & are letting him sell off his inventory.

As a gun manufacturer he is responsible for ensuring he follows the laws as written just the same as we do as gun owners.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Why is it that gun-owners always argue against new gun laws (which I agree that there shouldn't be) by saying that the .gov should just enforce the existing ones but as soon as .gov does enforce the existing ones then all of a sudden there is a "vast left-wing conspiracy" to shut down all gun manufacturers? (side note: the investigation was started & the raid ocurred in early 2008 under Bush not Obama :rolleyes:)

Well, I don't say that about enforcing existing laws. I say the laws are not constitutional. And why is it that other gun owners who also say the laws shouldn't exist all of a sudden come out and claim the manufacturer/dealer is monstrous for breaking one of the thousands(!) of gun laws. Administrations don't matter.

As a gun manufacturer he is responsible for ensuring he follows the laws as written just the same as we do as gun owners.

Yes, we are responsible for following laws. My point is this is the equivalent of being sentenced to 10 yrs in jail for driving 5 mph over the speed limit.

It looks like they even cut the guy some slack on other charges & are letting him sell off his inventory.

from the article:
    In a criminal complaint in 2008, ATF agents accused Nealon of illegal-weapons manufacturing for making the receivers. ..... Another problem: The ATF said Cavalry had outsourced the production of its molded receivers to an unlicensed company.

They spin it as if they are being easy on Cav... but if Cav Arms is the manufacturer, then ATF really cut the company molding the receivers a break. A big one. THAT's the significant crime: un-licensed manufacture of firearms... but the ATF doesn't care and only goes for the FFL (for "trafficing" guns that never left his posession)?

I'm not a conspiracy-theory type of person, but I can read. and everything I've said is in the article referenced above.

I agree they screwed up. I agree they should follow the law. I also can see the pattern of FFLs getting forced shut for book-keeping errors or mis-understanding on how to apply the law when all ATF has to do is cry "illegal trafficing." ... one set of transposed #s and now you have two illegal guns being trafficed (one SN'd gun not on the books, and one in the books not in inventory).

While most worry about GCA'68 someday being used as back-door registration, it's currently being used as a heavy hand.

:twocents:

-rvb

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Well, I don't say that about enforcing existing laws. I say the laws are not constitutional.

Sorry, there are always going to be SOME laws on gun-ownership & manufacturing. I don't know of any business that relates to public safety that doesn't have some form of regulation.

The SCOTUS has ruled that some regulation is Constitutional. I can agree with that to some degree - I don't want minors to be able to walk in to a gun shop & buy a gun without the parents permission, for instance. Are there laws that shouldn't be on the books? Absolutely. Lots of them.

The problem is you can't arbitrarily break a law & then complain when you get busted. I know I violate the speed limit laws almost all the time to a degree (1 mph over is a violation). If I get a ticket I can be po'd but I knew going in that I was in violation & in the end I have to pay the consequences.

The gun manufacturers aren't any different. They know the score going in. If they disregard the laws & get caught then they, too, have to pay.

And why is it that other gun owners who also say the laws shouldn't exist all of a sudden come out and claim the manufacturer/dealer is monstrous for breaking one of the thousands(!) of gun laws.

Nobody said they were "monstrous". Most I see that agree that they be held accountable are saying "that sucks but it's their own fault". That's more empathy than most criminals get on this board.

Administrations don't matter.

I agree. I was just pointing out for the liberal haters here that it wasn't a lib who pulled the trigger on the raid it was the right-wing's darling GW's administration.

Yes, we are responsible for following laws. My point is this is the equivalent of being sentenced to 10 yrs in jail for driving 5 mph over the speed limit.

If you knew going in that the penalty for going 5 mph over the limit was 10 yrs & you decided to do it anyway, that's your decision. You could try to get the obviously excessive law changed by the legislature or overidden by the courts but until then, you made the decision to break the law. You have to pay the penalty.

from the article:
    In a criminal complaint in 2008, ATF agents accused Nealon of illegal-weapons manufacturing for making the receivers. ..... Another problem: The ATF said Cavalry had outsourced the production of its molded receivers to an unlicensed company.

And here's the rest of the story that you left out(at least from the article):

In a criminal complaint in 2008, ATF agents accused Nealon of illegal-weapons manufacturing for making the receivers. In addition, he was accused of illegal sales and export of other guns and possession of unlicensed firearms.
    "To cover up this widespread illegal activity, Cavalry Arms and Nealon have failed to keep records, falsified records and lied to ATF," the complaint states.
    The ATF cited violations dating to 2000, including failure to keep a weapons inventory, failure to conduct background checks on at least 25 purchasers and failure to report a multiple-handgun sale.
    Another problem: The ATF said Cavalry had outsourced the production of its molded receivers to an unlicensed company.
    Following a search of Cavalry's offices and Nealon's Mesa home in 2008, agents said Nealon had illegally sold weapons to out-of-state buyers, more than 40 of those to a California resident who often stored those weapons at Nealon's home.

The parts you left out are in bold.

I agree they screwed up. I agree they should follow the law. I also can see the pattern of FFLs getting forced shut for book-keeping errors or mis-understanding on how to apply the law when all ATF has to do is cry "illegal trafficing." ... one set of transposed #s and now you have two illegal guns being trafficed (one SN'd gun not on the books, and one in the books not in inventory).

Not only did he illegally sell guns to an out-of-state buyer, didn't perform background checks, etc, he falsified records to try to cover the illegal activity. He KNEW he was breaking the law or he wouldn't have tried to falsify his records to cover it up.

These aren't book keeping errors. You don't accidentally just forget to do 25 background checks. It looks like they have been watching him for a while, since 2000.

You don't just mistakenly sell illegal guns (according to Cal. law) to someone who lives in a neighboring state that is notorious for having draconian laws. Even I know that certain guns & magazine capacities are illegal in California & I'm not an FFL. Besides he had to know the guy couldn't buy them or he wouldn't have stored them at his house after the sale. It looks like from the article that he illegally sold handguns to the guy, too. That's not Cal. law, that's federal law. That's the same everywhere not just some quirk of Cal law that he just misunderstood.

They spin it as if they are being easy on Cav... but if Cav Arms is the manufacturer, then ATF really cut the company molding the receivers a break. A big one. THAT's the significant crime: un-licensed manufacture of firearms... but the ATF doesn't care and only goes for the FFL (for "trafficing" guns that never left his posession)?

The FFL should be held to a higher standard. He's the one with the license. He's the one who absolutely should know the laws.

I don't deny that the other company should have probably known the laws in their chosen field, too. It looks like they cut both of them a big break. Would you have felt better about this if they put the hammer to both of them?

Besides, HE PLEAD GUILTY. For whatever reason, HE ADMITTED IT. Probably in exchange for them dropping the rest of the charges, but obviously I don't know that.

Top Bottom