• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So my pal Blueboxer and I got caught out in the rain with our beloved 1911s and my M&P 9mm.

My 1911 prob got exposed to 5 minutes or so of heavy down pour, mostly while in my hand. My M&P was sitting on the table in slide lock. We both were soaked enough we had to change clothes.

I got home, field stripped the guns, dried them as best I could, and then flushed them both with copious amounts of gun cleaner spray, and then rust protector spray. I have to leave for the evening now.

Will I need to detail strip them when I get back? Or is that enough?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    lol
    Thanks guys. I knew that in my head. But here's the deal. For safety and security, I use OCD level routine and habits to care for and handle firearms.
    In my brain I know it's fine. I just needed your reassurance.

I mean they did get really wet.

They're drying off after their chemical bath now......hahaha

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    lol
    Thanks guys. I knew that in my head. But here's the deal. I have ADD. To compensate for that deficit, I have to use OCD level routine and habits to care for and handle firearms safely.
    In my brain I know it's fine. I just needed your reassurance.

I mean they did get really wet.

You probably shouldn't go to a pistol class then. When they make you drop it in a mud puddle and then pick it up and shoot it...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hunted all day in the rain for deer, with my Colt Python.........once.
    Took it all apart, dried and relubed. No problem, but will admit that's the last rainy day forecast hunt for that rig.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    The m&p will be fine, your 1911 on the other hand might as well throw it away. 1911s suck Yeager said so!

Edit: I'm to lazy to do purple while on my phone.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    If you're really paranoid you use WD 40. The WD stands for "water displacement"

That is what we use to do when stuck out in the rain for prolonged periods of time. I would drench the firearm in WD-40 and let the more rust prone parts soak. Then clean, lube and reassemble. Oddly enough the areas that seem most prone to rust are the sights and crevices where the moisture lingers.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    One thing that also helps is to blow the pistol dry with an air compressor (assuming you have one). Blow compressed air into every single little nook and cranny, and you should not have any issues.

WD-40 can work also. I would use that after the compressed air. Be careful if you are using gun scrubber. Not all scrubbers are compatible with polymer frames and can damage the polymer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm not so sweet that I'll melt when I get wet.
    I get wet frequently and always carry a 1911.
    All I ever do is field strip (including grips), dry off, and spray them heavy with RemOil. Never any rust problems.
    The one I'm carrying now has been wet dozens of times and not a spec of rust anywhere on it.

Top Bottom