• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just to add to the dynamic, the worst thing I ever picked up from water, besides a dead body was Giardia. Some may know it as beaver fever. Given the choice, I would probably eat cow **** rather then get that again.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well since you did ask, and with you starting this and many other threads about doing things on a small piece of rural property.
    I would believe that the only hay you have cut is with a 21" self propelled mower and a hand rake. Until you bought the estate you have now

The fun has been sucked out of this thread.. Such a shame, it had potential.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My experience with cattle and creeks is minimal yes. I have lived in the country my whole life with the exception of the last 9 years. Grew up breeding sheep, and spent most of my free time in 4-h and FFA (my dad was an ag teach for the talawanda FFA chapter in oxford ohio). Also spent a lot of time working on the families 300 acre farm.

I have raised about every ag species there is except for horses.

I have been going to farm bureau meetings since I was in diapers all the way until I moved to Indiana (does farm bureau even exist here?)

I am no city slicker who moved to the country and while most farmers are decent I agree, the ones that live in the city and are only in it for the money are the ones that concern me.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    FWIW, I know IGW (the OP) in real life. He is most certainly not the type of person that would complain just to be a prick, or complain to get rid of non-problematic cows. I think he was just trying to be thorough in knowing his options up-front if a problem ever were to arise. As a matter of fact, I would say he is just the opposite of what you describe. I think maybe he just had a few misconceptions about what the cattle would do to the creek and now that they've been explained I doubt he is as concerned as he was when he started this thread.

Didn't mean for post 111 to be directed at the OP, he seems like a reasonable guy. My advice to the OP, call the DNR first if you suspect a problem. Let the DNR call IDEM, the DNR description of the problem and documentation carries a whole lot more weight than yours or mine.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    I was just quoting from an IDEM fact sheet. It says that if a farm has more than 300 cattle, then there must be an IDEM approval issued. The farm that I used to work for had 100 or so milk cows and he wasn't required to have any approval or any manure management plan.

He also had several thousand hogs and for those he was required to have an IDEM approval and a manure management plan.

I haven't talked to the guy in some years, and it's possible that other regs apply these days, other than the IDEM rules. You might have more up-dated info than I have.

The numbers being talked about here are for confined feeding operations, and have nothing at all to do with cattle on pasture. The amount of forage produced and the management system limits the number of cattle per acre in a pasture situation. Cattle density varies quite a bit over differing terrains and can be affected by weather patterns.

Top Bottom