• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Simon Malls needs to get their act together...

Around Christmas, my family and I was shopping when this guy tried to steal my mother's purse in their 'secure' mall. My dad, a former Army MP and retired ISP officer, was right behind her.

Needless to say the scumbag quickly ended up eating tile while dad had the sole of his foot on the guys neck. For a guy in his 70's, my father still can put some cadets to shame.

Mall Security wasn't very happy as he had the guy caught and subdued before they could even get from one side of the food court to where we were. Their BIGGEST concern was that dad may hurt the guy and get the mall sued.

They really have no concept of how dangerous a shopping environment they are creating for folks - especially with the economy as bad as it is. Desperate people will do things that rational people will not.

My question for them is if someone gets robbed or shot in their mall by a bad guy, do they honestly think that they WON'T be sued by the victim or their family?

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    My question for them is if someone gets robbed or shot in their mall by a bad guy, do they honestly think that they WON'T be sued by the victim or their family?

This.

I really hope that, if anything ever happens to me, my family sues the crap out of the mall based on the fact that, as I usually carry, the chances are I would not have been killed by the bad guy, but because I followed their rules, and they failed to protect me, THEY are responsible for what happened.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

They have done enough to likely not be held liable. Hired security, hired off-duty police, patrol in a vehicle. While we should be blaming the offender, in most cases the offender is likely poor, and has no assets to go after.

I really hope that, if anything ever happens to me, my family sues the crap out of the mall based on the fact that, as I usually carry, the chances are I would not have been killed by the bad guy, but because I followed their rules, and they failed to protect me, THEY are responsible for what happened.

They will argue in this case that you are an adult, fully capable of making adult decisions. You choose to go unarmed willingly, no one from Simon Corp. forced you to disarm and shop at their establishment. One would be better off just trying to sue for not taking enough steps to protect people from criminals. Of course these types of lawsuits get blasted here on INGO, so you may not want to post about how you got some ambulance chaser to go after an entity that didn't cause you harm.

Also, if Simon is responsible for protecting you from criminals, then buy some insurance yourself because that same lawyer will have no problem arguing that you as a LTCH had a duty to intervene on some incident where others may get injured while you took cover for your own safety.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They have done enough to likely not be held liable. Hired security, hired off-duty police, patrol in a vehicle. While we should be blaming the offender, in most cases the offender is likely poor, and has no assets to go after.

They will argue in this case that you are an adult, fully capable of making adult decisions. You choose to go unarmed willingly, no one from Simon Corp. forced you to disarm and shop at their establishment. One would be better off just trying to sue for not taking enough steps to protect people from criminals. Of course these types of lawsuits get blasted here on INGO, so you may not want to post about how you got some ambulance chaser to go after an entity that didn't cause you harm.

Also, if Simon is responsible for protecting you from criminals, then buy some insurance yourself because that same lawyer will have no problem arguing that you as a LTCH had a duty to intervene on some incident where others may get injured while you took cover for your own safety.

...and logic enters the fray

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom