• patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Indiana pawn shops are not allowed to accept or sell firearms
    They can buy and sell if they are an FFL. Just can't pawn them IIRC. My memory may be outdated.
    (Posted b4 read the whole thread.)

I see hardhit is making his presence felt in another thread with almost the same result as the last one of his I read.:dunno:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    They can buy and sell if they are an FFL. Just can't pawn them IIRC. My memory may be outdated.
    (Posted b4 read the whole thread.)

I see hardhit is making his presence felt in another thread with almost the same result as the last one of his I read.:dunno:

Maybe he can go into the pawn shops and tell them what BS it is that he can't buy a firearm there too. :):

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Thats not what the guy said. He said they cant allow someone to panw(for cash loan) a handgun. He DID NOT say the pawnshops cannot outright buy a handgun from a "customer".

Nevermind that was nevada way back. But im pretty sure he said their not allowed to sell firearms.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I won't mention any names but the prices I encountered at one of Indy's finest pawn shops, for some very well used pistols would make Don's look like the bargain basement.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Dock Bros. in Indy???

Wow...haven't heard that name in ages. Time was, in the 70's, Mr. Morty Dock was THE pawn broker in Indianapolis. Alleged to be the "go to" guy for crooked cops, crooked politicians, and skeevy newspaper reporters when they needed that certain special item.

If you had the money, allegedly Morty could get it.

My memory is a bit rusty here, but I believe Morty Dock met with an untimely ending...

From a NY Times article dated April 4, 1986 -

"A tourist from Long Island who was shot to death during a holdup Jan. 2 was apparently slain by a fugitive from Federal racketeering charges in Indianapolis, the police said today. The authorities said the suspect, Morton L. Dock, committed suicide March 26, minutes after he had shot and killed a jewelry store owner in the shopping arcade of a luxury hotel. Mr. Dock, 50 years old, had been sought by Federal authorities in Indianapolis on charges of having cheated investors in a diamond-buying scheme. Federal authorities said they arrested his wife, Helen Dock, 38, on two charges of income-tax fraud when she went to a morgue to identify her husband and claim the body."

Yeah...Dock Brothers has some history...from the bad old days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow...haven't heard that name in ages. Time was, in the 70's, Mr. Morty Dock was THE pawn broker in Indianapolis. Alleged to be the "go to" guy for crooked cops, crooked politicians, and skeevy newspaper reporters when they needed that certain special item.

If you had the money, allegedly Morty could get it.

My memory is a bit rusty here, but I believe Morty Dock met with an untimely ending...

From a NY Times article dated April 4, 1986 -

"A tourist from Long Island who was shot to death during a holdup Jan. 2 was apparently slain by a fugitive from Federal racketeering charges in Indianapolis, the police said today. The authorities said the suspect, Morton L. Dock, committed suicide March 26, minutes after he had shot and killed a jewelry store owner in the shopping arcade of a luxury hotel. Mr. Dock, 50 years old, had been sought by Federal authorities in Indianapolis on charges of having cheated investors in a diamond-buying scheme. Federal authorities said they arrested his wife, Helen Dock, 38, on two charges of income-tax fraud when she went to a morgue to identify her husband and claim the body."

Yeah...Dock Brothers has some history...from the bad old days.
    Wow... talk about a bad day!

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    My last firearm purchase was from a Pawn Shop in Goshen, IN. They did not have a bunch. only 4 or 6 long rifles.

I believe Fort Wayne has a city ordance not allowing Pawn Shops to sell firearms, not positive about that but have never seen a gun for sale at Cash America in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Cash America in FT Wayne on Clinton deals with long guns but won't touch handguns.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I haven't read the entire thread and am ignorant of any and all facts but Cash America in Clarksville has handguns and long guns.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    columbus pawn very bad place

:dunno: Any particular reason? I go in there semi-regularly, and they're not horrible. The guy usually manning the gun counter isn't really a gun guy, but he can fetch the guy who is.
    They're also an 01 FFL and sell new guns via Davidsons, and are listed on GunGenie, and once or twice I've found their price on a new gun lower than my favorite LGS, and that's hard to beat...

There's is a state law somewhere that states it is illegal to use a handgun as collateral for a loan (i.e. pawn), I don't know the code offhand, but I have seen it posted on here before in it's entirety, along with a link I believe...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Would you buy a pawn gun sight unseen in an auction? Seems like kind of a gamble to me. Maybe I am making too big of an assumption, but people who know guns and take care of their guns would probably be more likely to sell to a local gun shop or individually then pawn it. If you can see it and verify its in good condition, that's one thing, but online that's not an option.

Top Bottom