• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Guys I've been reloading for over 20 years, and try to keep nothing but good quality stuff coming out of my reloader, Recently I ran into some 223 ammo that would not fit into my friends AR or mine, I checked the ammo on the bench when I made it and used my trusty case gauge that I bought many many years ago.

My old case gauge is wrong, I dont' know if the dimension's from 20 years ago were looser, or what, I have never taken an abrasive to the inside of the gauge, I've kept rust preventer on it. ect I have not abused this gauge but I found out it is wrong, My friend (Xmil) let me borrow his new case gauge that he just bought and I found a huge Huge difference, Check out these Pics

2db6s60.jpg

a3i7t0.jpg

14ugk14.jpg

2uhmp2q.jpg

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    WOW. That is way off. I have problems with some of my reloaded ammo not fitting new chambers sometimes but the ammo fits the case gauge. I know some chambers are tighter then others and have written the problem ff to that. Now I have to go and mic out the case gauge.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    WOW. That is way off. I have problems with some of my reloaded ammo not fitting new chambers sometimes but the ammo fits the case gauge. I know some chambers are tighter then others and have written the problem ff to that. Now I have to go and mic out the case gauge.

You have hit on exactly what happened to me, I would not have believed that my case guage was off that much it was a real real Shocker,

I'm rethinking my case gauge situation, I'm considering buying new case gauges of a different brand than the ones I have, Just to check everything out.

a $20 gauge sure is cheaper than driving 1/2 across the state and missing a match because of ammo fit

Thats Also why I thought it was important to post this

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How does your old case gauge work with a full length resized case instead of a fired case? Case guages are for checking headspace with body diameter a secondary consideration. Your dies take care of body diameter automatically. If the body of the case is too big, that is a die problem, not a case gauge problem.

One way for me to know that it is time to throw away a case is when it will not fit in the gauge after resizing because the base has expanded with a hot load.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Makes sense, I guess. According to EGW Guns, some case gauges are made by boring bars. They make theirs with chamber reamers. Be interesting to see how Dillon makes theirs...

Ammo Chamber Checker - $20.00 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

My question is, is your case gage an actual loaded case gage or a case length gage. I know there are both and brands such as L.E. Wilson gages only the pistol gages check the loaded cartridge, the rifle gages just check for trim length of a case. As mentioned by chipdog some case gages are made with boring bars, these typically are just used for checking for trim length.

In another post, I think it was by sloughfoot, it mentioned the posibility of the case base being expanded. If this is the case then a small base die could be in order. I have had this issue before as well and since I use a RCBS trim die to trim my cases it is quite obvious when I have a base that is out of spec. I then check for any sign of case head seperation and resize in a small base die.

Another option is to call the manufacturer and ask them about it, they might even warranty it if there is an issue or replace it all together.:twocents:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    the old gauge is a case gauge, not a length checker, but the old gauge is more than 15 years old.

I'm not going to bother the manufacture I'll just call dillon and get a new on on the way.

It's also a little lesson on how guns vary, Obviosly the reason I didn't run into problems before this is that my guns chambers were about the size of the old case gauge but my bud's new gun was considerably tighter

Top Bottom