• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Then are you saying that this isn't a free country?
    I didn't say that. I just stated the most simple undeniable facts in as plain a fashion as I know how.

I wouldn't pretend a free intelligent citizen would need me to interpret those facts for them. You are entirely competent to consider those and come to a reasonable conclusion.
    Because I'll bet most people here applied and paid for their LTCH, including me. But bet your buttons I would still go to war for it, I think we are all on the same page here, there are just differences of opinion.

You said it, not me.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Surely you aren't taking the position that you can come on to my property armed with a sidearm when I have specifically told you that you can not?

I'm saying that it makes as much sense to invite every member of the public on your property except those carrying guns as it would to invite every member of the public except those wearing blue shirts, or have any other arbitrary made up rule to get people to conform to your feelings.

Also, I wonder if there is a difference between "private property" and "private property open to the general public."

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I'm saying that it makes as much sense to invite every member of the public on your property except those carrying guns as it would to invite every member of the public except those wearing blue shirts, or have any other arbitrary made up rule to get people to conform to your feelings.

The mall up in Mishawaka doesn't allow people with the hoods of their hooded sweatshirts pulled up to remain on the premises. It is private property open to the public. They set the rules and if you don't like it, they will help you from the premises. Most of the little pukes choose to pull their hoods down rather than leave.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Wrong

In post #44, were you equating ruining someone's carpet and crapping in their yard with carrying a gun, or were you just telling those stories for a reason totally unrelated to the thread?

I was comparing those inconsiderate acts to another inconsiderate act of a person wearing a exposed gun onto property where the owner asked people not to bring firearms. I did not make it a general gun carry issue as that was not the subject.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Private property is private property. If the rule for your property is no gum allowed, you've got a right to refuse entrance to people chewing gum. You've got the right to refuse entrance to anyone for any reason or non-reason whatsoever.
    However, this thread went from what are the rules for carrying on your own property to people who OC are disrespectful and suddenly trying to invade someones private residence and impose their will on the property owner, lol.

How about a show of hands from everyone. Who has ever violated private property rules? Anyone carry concealed in places that didn't have a sign posted with their policy on firearms? Did you call before you went in to find out the policy, just in case you might be violating their policy?

I don't think anyone on this thread advocated violating anyone's private residence. Questions were asked about why OP felt it disrespectful to OC on his own property, but no one attempted to tell him how to administer his property. It was his perception that it would show respect if he didnt OC, I can absolutely understand. How in the world you get from there to people who OC show no respect is beyond me. The lack of understanding the difference between a right and privilege and what constitutes respect and dis-respect is also unfathomable. I don't like to put people on ignore as it decreases the odds of an interesting discussion, but geez, sometimes...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    1) How is carrying in his yard disrespectful to the school across the street?
    2) If I OC while mowing my grass, and the neighbor has a coronary, did I not show enough respect?
    3) Does this reflect their lack of heritage and generally thin skin?

--------------------

To answer these:

1. It may not be disrespectfull but I do look at it that it would be possible for the school to be concerned or could cause a disturbence in the class as the side of the school with open windows has a full view of my house, I do not wish to cause a disturbence, and the class was willing to help push my car out the snow I look at it that to show the same respect and thoughtfullness I would not disturbe the class or cause the famous ( Look guys that dude has a gun!)

2. If my neighbor ever brought to my attention that is bothered him/her I would explain my reason in a respectful mannor, if after that they explained they were still uncomfortable and asked respectfully that I would not open carry while Mowing my Lawn I would respect there wishs. To me thats not much to ask.

3. Not sure on this question lol

Not to derail a derailed thread, but I want to thank Capshot for his explanation. While I don't necessarily think I'd reach the same conclusion, I better understand why he said what he said. I didn't mean to express any ill will towards you, CS.

You guys are free to continue on with your property rights discussion. <cough> :horse: <cough>

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    For the umpteen times here is my position on outside carry. If a licensed individual in Indiana want to strap a legal firearm on their body and parade around the state with it go right ahead. Where I differ from the hard core OC people is I believe that if a private entity such as a business or private residence specifically says no firearms allowed on their premises remove your firearm before entering or don’t enter. If you have a concealed carry gun and decide to ignore the request no one will know so it is a moot issue as no one knows a gun is present but even the CC people should honor the wishes of the property owner.

The hard core individuals who believe their right to carry a weapon supersedes the rights of all others will disagree with me and that is their prerogative to do so. Because you are not “breaking a law” per say does not relieve you from the obligation to respect the property rights of others. Don’t like the rule, don’t go in. To flaunt a gun on your hip in a “no firearms allowed” situation shows immaturity on the part of the perpetrator and a complete lack of respect of other individuals you are intruding upon. You don’t have to go any where’s with a gun, it is a decision you made for your own reasons and that is not enough to trample the rights of others to “exercise your perceived right”.

I am not anti OC, I am anti inconsiderate people in this world.

I just don't see what there is to argue with about this.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    If you are talking about private property rights, I agree wholeheartedly. I would also submit that I don't see anyone on this thread disagreeing with that premise. Whether that opinion has been expressed on other threads, I am not in a position to say one way or another, but not in this thread. I think a lot of the acrimony in this thread is the assumption that when you OC, it is disrespectful.
    If we want to move the discussion to another thread and talk about private property rights, private vs public property, whether a right ends at propertylines or not, etc. thats fine. I think this thread is getting a little blurred.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    WOW...so we at least can agree it is okay to carry on your own property right?

BTW, I'm in the respect boat as well. Yes the second amendment gives me certain rights but my rights are no more important than someone else's. If they say no guns and I am carrying (once my LTCH comes back) I will either go w/o a gun or not go at all. Just like it is their choice to set certain expectations for their property, it is my choice to go or not. I would certainly expect the same of anyone who was on my property, follow my rules or don't be here. It's pretty simple.

My :twocents:

Top Bottom