• ...and so much more!
  • Bart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Seymour
    Wilder or lonelier than this?
    Felt kind of naked and wild with out my smoke wagon today. Out there on my own with no signs to tell me where I was allowed to put in or take out, where I can walk and where to stay away from. Meth heads around every sycamore and pot farm crazed druggies hiding in the pines, it was a scary place.

I did have one body guard with me but he was unarmed as well since they repealed that weapons allowed on government land thing, I didn't want to carry a gun until I check with a park ranger. I'm big on following the rules and that kind of stuff.

Besides he had to swim and I think too much of a gun might have taken him to the bottom.

Whatever dude. Its your life.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Some folks have difficulty imaging the life of another outside the narrow view of their own experience. If it doesn't make sense for them - it should make sense for no one.

I don't think Jack is a bad guy - I've been entertained by several of his posts. I read most of his posts with an eye for humor, whether intended or not. Much of my own paddling has been self-supported, multi-day trips in true wilderness - not rural Indiana. I choose to carry in my boat on these multi-day runs. (I also have first aid supplies, a VHF radio, flares, etc.. If I were Jack, I don't think I would feel the need for a flare on a 5' wide Indiana ditch, either. :D)

If you feel the need to carry a firearm for protection, by all means don't let someone from the internet embarrass you into not doing it. They don't know you're situation and damned sure won't be there when you're thinking to yourself, "I sure wish I had that stainless wheel gun about now!"

Enjoy yourself and remember: Ultimately only you are responsible for your own well-being.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't think Jack is a bad guy - I've been entertained by several of his posts. I read most of his posts with an eye for humor, whether intended or not.

Looks like you've found the key.

Really, doesn't any one else ever kid each other around a little once in a while? If not for a little humour once in a while half these threads would be intolerable.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Any one else been paddling lately?

I paddled a mile or so up my "ditch" and back today. I'll have to take the chain saw with me next time. Doubt I'll need a gun though. LOL.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Was there a lot of water in the ditch today? We've been seeing a lot of rain up this way.

Chainsaw, you say? Agreed... you won't need a gun. ;)

texas-chainsaw-massacre_28.preview.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Was there a lot of water in the ditch today? We've been seeing a lot of rain up this way.

Nothing I'd call a lot but just exactly enough.

that kinda hurt my feeling to hear it called a "ditch" though I've called it that myself before when trying to be a smartass.

It may be small and thin on water at times but it was never dug adjusted or controled and it's only owned by the feds as part of HNF. It goes where it wants and there's no shuttle services or "put in sights" or posted flow levels and safety warnings. No corn field chemical run off or junk yard rip rap.

You are on your own dime here and responsible for your own decisions, actions or in action.

May be about the same as a ditch but it's a wild ditch and it'll "gitcha" if you don't watch it.

Here's a little taste where comes out of the forrest and under and "around" my bridge.

17547a_bridge_rain_69.jpg

Even when it's riled up I don't see where a gun might come in handy to paddle it though.

CAMOEDTJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    GREENWOOD
    I might if I was using the kayak to go duck hunting or to get in and out of a deer hunting spot but other than that I'd think a gun would be about as useful on a kayak trip as a fishing rod or paddle in a deer stand.

MikeKayak.jpg

aRichardB91.jpg

aBedford2Williams56.jpg

HEY is that second pic of you going back up salt creek just after you pass the waterfowl resting area,,, looks pretty familiar

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Have often wondered about carrying while in my kayak. I'm going to from now on. I have also been thinking about a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip to take backpacking, along with the G19. Never know what goes bump in the night. They should really make some kind of dry bag that you could keep your Glock in. You would think Otter would have something like that. They make everything for iPods.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry while canoeing, but then again I am carrying anytime I have my pants on, and I have been carrying so long that wearing a handgun has become no different than wearing my watch or having my wallet or keys in my pocket.

It's just a tool, no reason to get all excited about it (unless one starts barking around you).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I paddle mostly calm flat water. I rarely wear my vest, although I always have it behind the seat. How tough is it going to be to swim with a 5" 1911 and a couple mags strapped to me?

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis

I paddled a mile or so up my "ditch" and back today. I'll have to take the chain saw with me next time. Doubt I'll need a gun though. LOL.

Unfortunately my canoe has been "hanging out" here for too long. I'm ready for some warmer weather...

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis

well I'm too stoopid to figure out how to get my pic in this msg...
    sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

The canoe hangs from the ceiling of my garage most of the time...
    MDFodHRwOi8vczIyLnBob3RvYnVja2V0LmNvbS9hbGJ1bXMvYjM1MC9ka2R1cnN0L3BpbmhlYWQvP2FjdGlvbj12aWV3JmN1cnJlbnQ9cGhvdG8uanBn

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Very nice. Mine sits outside on a rack, standing up in the barn, laying under the porch,...
    aYakhaulercamo74.jpg

Top Bottom