• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How can I be wrong for posting what the airport sent me?

Hey Hoosier8, The sky is green, the grass is blue, and water is dry.

I just told you a statement that is false. IF/When you repeat the above statement, you are also wrong. (not your fault if I am your only source and you trust me) That is why you can be wrong posting what the airport sent you. Just look at Facebook. TONS of bad info being regurgitated and repeated. Repetition doesnt make it right.

I really wish somebody with deep pockets could help set a precedent that posting unenforceable laws is NOT harmless and forces them to take down signs and eliminate the laws from the books instead of saying "as long as we dont ENFORCE them, we are in the clear." I'm tired of seeing unenforceable signs and laws that mislead the general public that doesnt know any better.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey Hoosier8, The sky is green, the grass is blue, and water is dry.

I just told you a statement that is false. IF/When you repeat the above statement, you are also wrong. (not your fault if I am your only source and you trust me) That is why you can be wrong posting what the airport sent you. Just look at Facebook. TONS of bad info being regurgitated and repeated. Repetition doesnt make it right.

I really wish somebody with deep pockets could help set a precedent that posting unenforceable laws is NOT harmless and forces them to take down signs and eliminate the laws from the books instead of saying "as long as we dont ENFORCE them, we are in the clear." I'm tired of seeing unenforceable signs and laws that mislead the general public that doesnt know any better.

Not sure how posting what the airport sent me could be wrong. That is what they sent me. That would be like posting a picture of a Chevy and saying it isn't a Chevy.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Not sure how posting what the airport sent me could be wrong. That is what they sent me. That would be like posting a picture of a Chevy and saying it isn't a Chevy.

I think at the end of the day is that the Airport doesn't have to right to do what you originally posted, which was arrest me. The fact that you keep posting that, knowing that it's not enforceable is I suppose what is eating at us.

It doesn't make sense that when so many people have provided you with proof that what you were given is in fact false, that you're still saying it's not.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Is the airport private property? If so, then they can ask you to leave for violating their rules. If you don't leave they can ask PoPo to arrest you for trespassing.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is the airport private property? If so, then they can ask you to leave for violating their rules. If you don't leave they can ask PoPo to arrest you for trespassing.

Similar to what the ordinance says. Notice it does not say prosecution if in possession, only if you don't turn them over.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Because you keep citing it like it's the golden ticket. I do not follow your analogy, because it doesn't make sense in this context. You posted an ordinance which is not enforceable, and when we tell you it's not enforceable, you keep telling us that it is, because they sent it to you, and they said so.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At not point would I ever turn my firearm over to the police when I'm legally allowed to be carrying it, and am in no violation of the law.

IANAL and I share your sentiment, but "the side of the road" is not the place to fight it. If you ever end up in the position and they attempt to confiscate, Dont physically fight it. Express your protest verbally and allow it to be taken. Then lawyer up if necessary. I had mine removed "for officer safety" during a traffic stop even though it was a simple speeding ticket and there was no "reasonable articulable suspicion*" to take it he did anyway. I was told to hand it to him (it was holstered on my passenger seat at the time). I verbally protested and made it VERY clear it was inappropriate and not necessary while following his order. It all worked out in the end, but I am sure it would not have had I resisted his unreasonable demand.

I have had my sidearm temporarily removed from my possession twice in the last 20 years. its not fun, but not the end of the world. (so long as they dont try to keep it)

*They are supposed to have a specific reason to disarm you... not "[STRIKE]just because[/STRIKE] officer safety". It needs to be something like "you are acting erratically and we are concerned based on your behavior" or "you are a suspect in a strongarm robbery", etc.

EDIT

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    IANAL and I share your sentiment, but "the side of the road" is not the place to fight it. If you ever end up in the position and they attempt to confiscate, Dont physically fight it. Express your protest verbally and allow it to be taken. Then lawyer up if necessary. I had mine removed "for officer safety" during a traffic stop even though it was a simple speeding ticket and there was no "reasonable articulable suspicion*" to take it he did anyway. I was told to hand it to him (it was holstered on my passenger seat at the time). I verbally protested and made it VERY clear it was inappropriate and not necessary while following his order. It all worked out in the end, but I am sure it would not have had I resisted his unreasonable demand.

I have had my sidearm temporarily removed from my possession twice in the last 20 years. its not fun, but not the end of the world. (so long as they dont try to keep it)

*They are supposed to have a specific reason to disarm you... not "just because". It needs to be something like "you are acting erratically and we are concerned based on your behavior" or "you are a suspect in a strongarm robbery", etc.

This. It's called a "cost-benefit analysis." It's something people don't do too often these days. Sure, you can stand up for your rights, and resist him taking your gun, but think about what that might cost you.

If the officer wants it, let him have it. Yeah, he's being an ******* and a dickhead, but if you fight that fight, you will lose. Record the interaction if possible, get the officer's name. File a complaint. Lawyer up if necessary. You will lose the fight on the street, but you will win in the court. Take your time, don't be a hot head.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This. It's called a "cost-benefit analysis." It's something people don't do too often these days. Sure, you can stand up for your rights, and resist him taking your gun, but think about what that might cost you.

If the officer wants it, let him have it. Yeah, he's being an ******* and a dickhead, but if you fight that fight, you will lose. Record the interaction if possible, get the officer's name. File a complaint. Lawyer up if necessary. You will lose the fight on the street, but you will win in the court. Take your time, don't be a hot head.

THIS.

In my latest case, I would have probably come out on top regarding my 2A rights after calling for a supervisor. However the officer discretion I received due to my cooperation would have been out the window. As it happened, I received a written warning for speeding in a "construction zone". Had I pressed the issue and done a roadside trial of sorts with his supervisor, I would have probably kept my weapon, but had to pay a $500+ ticket. I deserved it due to inattention by following the GPS listed limit instead of the posted signs... it was officially a construction zone, but not an active one as they were done on my stretch, but not others so my lower limit still stood even though it was technically finished and appeared to be completed.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville

*They are supposed to have a specific reason to disarm you... not "[STRIKE]just because[/STRIKE] officer safety". It needs to be something like "you are acting erratically and we are concerned based on your behavior" or "you are a suspect in a strongarm robbery", etc.

EDIT

This is good information. I do greatly appreciate that. I do suppose, that when writing this, I had the idea in my head that I would never willinging give up my firearm. That being said, I cant say I'd find myself willing to get into verbal fight, or even arrested at that point over my sidearm. I think in part because A) I dont know the laws well enough to cite them to an officer, who for the most part, is probably more well versed than I (hopefully) and B) I just dont know how the officer will re-act. With all the horror stories of officers doing crazy stuff now a days, it definitely makes you re-think your actions around them.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The IIA is a local political subdivision per Indiana law. As such, they are subject to IC 35-47-11.1.

Any ordinance that they have concerning the carrying of firearms on airport property is void and unenforceable.
    Any attempt to enforce said ordinance will result in the Airport Authority losing an expensive civil trial per the law.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Posted the ordinance and the discussion with the airport.

If lets say I was stopped by an Airport police offer, is there something I could cite to explain that whatever BS they make up are is not something that would hold up?

Sure, IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political
    subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation,
    registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition,
    and firearm accessories.
    And IC 3-5-2-38
    Sec. 38. "Political subdivision" means a county, city, town,
    township, school corporation, public library, local housing authority,
    fire protection district, public transportation corporation, local
    building authority, local hospital authority or corporation, local
    airport authority,
    special service district, special taxing district, or
    other type of local governmental corporate entity

You would be wrong because you are attempting to use it to back up your earlier post. The one right below this. See above for the reason why that is wrong.

Guns are not allowed anywhere on airport property. It is an ordinance. I had a picture of the ordinance on Imageshack and have posted it here before but it no longer shows up in Imageshack.

Similar to what the ordinance says. Notice it does not say prosecution if in possession, only if you don't turn them over.

Which they are not generally allowed to require.

Yep, haven't had to go to the airport for awhile. Since then they passed the carry to work in your car law and they were fretting about that at the Airport and Gary/Chicago has clarified that it only applies within the fenced area of the airport.

Only if within the fenced area is considered a "secure area" of the airport.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Anybody here volunteer to test what happens by open carry at the airport?

I did a couple years ago, twice. Picking up and dropping my sister and nieces off. Picking them up I was waiting inside for about 45 min, dropping them off just in and out quick. When dropping them off I did get "yelled" at by either security or PD, but not for carrying. I left my car parked in the drop off zone while I helped them in with their luggage.

If you want to pay for my gas I'll come down and have a cup of coffee there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, there you go. Did Blart see it?
    I can only assume so. Mid-day pickup, hardly anyone there. In and out of Baggage Claim (right passed the illegal gun busters signs) twice, and loading several bags into the back of the car. "Blart" cruised by more than once. That, and there are cameras pretty much everywhere. If no one noticed, then, well, that would be on par for "security theater" at airports.

And that was only a recent trip. My in-laws have traveled a lot since retiring, and I tend to take them to/from the airport. I don't think I have OC-ed upstairs beyond the curb-side check-in. I've been in baggage claim a couple of times, in the garage and through the rental car area a few times, and up/down the escalator to baggage claim.

Top Bottom