• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    :yesway: I've only had to go into Meeks to pay my LTCH dues. That place is heavily guarded, sounded like what you were talking about. I did not walk though any metal detectors in the Rousseau Center. So now I do not know where the Sherrif is hiding, don't care much for Gladieux.... :):

Yea, I liked Fries better. One of the side benefits of getting signatures for NFA stuff was getting to feel out who you were voting for. Both were personable and polite and didn't give any hassle, but Fries didn't give any hint of being opposed to signing and made friendly small talk where Gladieux asked "what do you want that for" with just a bit of a tone about the question...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So now I do not know where the Sherrif is hiding, ....

Their webpage says they are in [strike]Rousseau Center [/strike]Court House.
    Contact Information | Allen County Sheriff's Department

so :dunno: why there used to be metal detectors but not now. Now you've got me questioning my memory/senility. Is this what getting old feels like?

ETA: senility: sorry. I was confused. Sheriff is in the courthouse across main st from Rousseau Center. I was thinking of the court house all along. SMH. I have no idea about Rousseau Center. A real head-up-$%& moment. I have no idea about Rousseau Center, never been in there. Was looking at map wrong... was confused because I park in the lot attached to the R. Ctr.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Their webpage says they are in [strike]Rousseau Center [/strike]Court House.
    Contact Information | Allen County Sheriff's Department

so :dunno: why there used to be metal detectors but not now. Now you've got me questioning my memory/senility. Is this what getting old feels like?

ETA: senility: sorry. I was confused. Sheriff is in the courthouse across main st from Rousseau Center. I was thinking of the court house all along. SMH. I have no idea about Rousseau Center. A real head-up-$%& moment. I have no idea about Rousseau Center, never been in there. Was looking at map wrong... was confused because I park in the lot attached to the R. Ctr.

-rvb

Lol. Now you've got me wondering if I was completely spaced out on Saturday while voting. :nuts:

see above edit. I screwed up. sorry. :n00b:
    -rvb

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

The old City/County Building on Main (now Rouseau) used to have metal detectors a few years ago. Not sure if the change was because of the preemption law. Could have also been because of a change in tenants with the opening of Henry's Red Square empire. I think they may have also run out of money to staff and maintain the metal detectors.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Does your church have a school?
    The school must be licensed by the state and/or receive public funds to be considered a school. Our church has a pre-school that we call a "school", but it isn't licensed by the state and receives no state funds, so it is really a ministry and doesn't fall under the definition of a school under the law. Of course, I'm not an attorney and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Open carried while early voting last week in Bloomington (7th & Morton). Very disappointed, no looks of disdain, no pleas to cover it up. Frankly amazed considering it's Btown. Just for fun I called first and asked. I got the "if you are a police officer...." at first but got them straightened out. Happy voting! :patriot:
    OBTW, the other satellite early voting location in Bloomington might be off limits. I'm not sure.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    The school must be licensed by the state and/or receive public funds to be considered a school. Our church has a pre-school that we call a "school", but it isn't licensed by the state and receives no state funds, so it is really a ministry and doesn't fall under the definition of a school under the law. Of course, I'm not an attorney and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

It's been a while since I've read the state law regarding this, but I thought that it was definitely a no-no if the church had a state-sponsored public school as part of the church just like you said. But if it was a private school even if it is licensed, that you could only carry with written permission of church leadership?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's been a while since I've read the state law regarding this, but I thought that it was definitely a no-no if the church had a state-sponsored public school as part of the church just like you said. But if it was a private school even if it is licensed, that you could only carry with written permission of church leadership?
    You can written permission for ANY school, public or private.
    Indiana Code 2016 - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session
    (2) A person who may legally possess a firearm and who has been authorized by:(A) a school board (as defined by IC 20-26-9-4); or(B) the body that administers a charter school established under IC 20-24;to carry a firearm in or on school property

Though, I have never heard of it happening.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Vigo County has gone to "Regional Voting Centers" meaning if you want to vote and you live in the far south, you have to either drive to the Trooper Barracks (not close to me) or drive into town near the College because we can't have the college students and faculty inconvenienced. I asked the county registrar where all the places were to vote, she said, "The Courthouse". "That it?" "Yes" so I went to the courthouse which is a pain because you can't park close - EVER. I walked having thought to empty my pockets all the way to the door. Gun, knives etc in the car except one. I wear a pocket watch and at the end of the chain is a tiny, 1 inch pen knife I had forgotten all about. I went through the metal detector and BEEEEEEP! I pulled my watch out and then remembered the knife.

THANKFULLY the deputy at the door said, "I shouldn't do this but if you hurry and since you just want to vote, I will hold it for you." The other deputy tried to keep her from doing it but she told him to go away. I went in, voted and she handed me my watch. Then she told me of all the other places I could have voted and not had to go through all of the crap. I told her I had called the registrar's office and this was the only place she told me about but had she given me choices I would have gone to Baesller's or the Court Annex where you can be armed and no one cares. Vigo Co decided it would be easier if you voted at these centers than in your own district. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a problem last year open carrying at the Fairgrounds. I even saw a few deputies there who didn't even give me a second look. In fact when one of the Election Judges went to tell me I couldn't vote armed one of them actually told her, "Yes he can, there is no law against being armed while you vote unless it is prohibited because of where you are voting"... she wasn't happy but she let me vote and I got my little sticker and left.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone know if carry is o.k. at the Rousseau Centre in Fort Wayne? Not sure if it is a govt. building

I thought there have been threads on INGO debating it and it was determine that the PD holding cells made it a gray area? But not directly prohibited according to IC (again this is all from over a year old memory)

There used to be courtrooms and such, but now it's all county govt. No metal detectors, no signs, no legal standing to prohibit. Same goes for Harry Baals Square*.

I routinely carry in that building.

* I follow the vote of the people, not that Renaisance Square crap. Heck, I can't even spell that darn French word.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Vigo County has gone to "Regional Voting Centers" meaning if you want to vote and you live in the far south, you have to either drive to the Trooper Barracks (not close to me) or drive into town near the College because we can't have the college students and faculty inconvenienced. I asked the county registrar where all the places were to vote, she said, "The Courthouse". "That it?" "Yes" so I went to the courthouse which is a pain because you can't park close - EVER. I walked having thought to empty my pockets all the way to the door. Gun, knives etc in the car except one. I wear a pocket watch and at the end of the chain is a tiny, 1 inch pen knife I had forgotten all about. I went through the metal detector and BEEEEEEP! I pulled my watch out and then remembered the knife.

THANKFULLY the deputy at the door said, "I shouldn't do this but if you hurry and since you just want to vote, I will hold it for you." The other deputy tried to keep her from doing it but she told him to go away. I went in, voted and she handed me my watch. Then she told me of all the other places I could have voted and not had to go through all of the crap. I told her I had called the registrar's office and this was the only place she told me about but had she given me choices I would have gone to Baesller's or the Court Annex where you can be armed and no one cares. Vigo Co decided it would be easier if you voted at these centers than in your own district. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a problem last year open carrying at the Fairgrounds. I even saw a few deputies there who didn't even give me a second look. In fact when one of the Election Judges went to tell me I couldn't vote armed one of them actually told her, "Yes he can, there is no law against being armed while you vote unless it is prohibited because of where you are voting"... she wasn't happy but she let me vote and I got my little sticker and left.

Here's an article that contains a link to all the early voting centers in Vigo Co. Vigo Co. opens 6 voting centers for early voting | WTHITV.com

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thanks TF,I will check it out. Done for this year but thanks. I don't get the paper and I guess I thought the registrar would know, silly me. :):

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    There used to be courtrooms and such, but now it's all county govt. No metal detectors, no signs, no legal standing to prohibit. Same goes for Harry Baals Square*.

* I follow the vote of the people, not that Renaisance Square crap. Heck, I can't even spell that darn French word.

I went last night, no metal detectors or signs but there are PD offices on the main floor. I left my firearm in the car just in case but I could have had it on me.

Just to give you guys a heads up on the lines, I waited about an hour to vote. But when I was leaving I noticed that the line was about 25% longer. Glad I didn't wait until election day

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE

Good to know.

Top Bottom