Carrying at Wallen Baseball/Softball Diamonds in Fort Wayne?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mulksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    North of the Fort
    My daughter has begun softball season at the Wallen Diamonds in Fort Wayne, and I am curious as to the legality of carrying or even keeping my weapon in my vehicle while there. I am not sure who the land belongs to as it sits behind an elementary school, a firehouse, and can be accessed from a side road without parking at either. Can anyone here educate me and/or provide input on if this is school property and what options (if any) I will have while attending practices and games here? Thank you in advance!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would not carry there, or leave one in a car parked on the grounds. Park on the street, down the road a bit, maybe; but I would not want to run the risk of being outed there.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My daughter has begun softball season at the Wallen Diamonds in Fort Wayne, and I am curious as to the legality of carrying or even keeping my weapon in my vehicle while there. I am not sure who the land belongs to as it sits behind an elementary school, a firehouse, and can be accessed from a side road without parking at either. Can anyone here educate me and/or provide input on if this is school property and what options (if any) I will have while attending practices and games here? Thank you in advance!

Find out where the property line are and if the school owns the property before you carry there.

mulksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    North of the Fort
    Thank you both for the response. After a little further research, the only way I could determine the ownership of the land was to use the online public access tax information tool for Allen County. Using the maps feature, it actually looks like Fort Wayne Community Schools owns half the property (Western half of diamonds), while Washington Township owns the other half. If were to stay parked on the east side of the complex owned by Washington Township, would you now think I would be safe leaving the handgun locked in my vehicle? Like many of you, I am often running errands after work and trying to get my daughter to practices/games during the week, and I am just trying to avoid having to leave the protection of my handgun at home during all of this!

mulksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    North of the Fort
    Really? This is a joke post, right? You guys don't really spend any time worrying about this?

Nope, no joke..... good grief! Nope, not worried about carrying THERE. Fort Wayne/Allen County is a fairly large area with plenty of traffic and I do not live close to the park. I could drive way out of my way to drop the handgun off at home, drop my kid off or attend the game, then return home to pick up the hand gun, drive back into town, and then run my errands throughout the city during the week....... OR......... I could find out if there is a legal way of securing my weapon in my vehicle while I am there and continue on with errands while already in Fort Wayne and have the protection of my sidearm with me! Not sure why this seems so unreal to you unless you think there is no crime and a zero percent chance of ever needing it in the 2nd largest city in the state.

But again, thanks to everyone else for your reasonable responses!

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Note that effective 01 JUL 2014 you will be able to leave your sidearm in your LOCKED vehicle out of sight on SCHOOL PROPERTY thanks to the law changing. :woot: So at that point you don't have to worry where you are parking for this event.

mulksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    North of the Fort
    Note that effective 01 JUL 2014 you will be able to leave your sidearm in your LOCKED vehicle out of sight on SCHOOL PROPERTY thanks to the law changing. :woot: So at that point you don't have to worry where you are parking for this event.

Yes, this indeed will resolve my current dilemma! I am out at the diamonds 3 to 4 times per week, so looking forward to this becoming effective!

Top Bottom